Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cold?

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Cold?

maybe, just maybe for the WA.
At any rate, whatcha think?

BTW, these are called Red Fish.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    100mm    f/5.6    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    100mm    f/5.6    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Cold?

I like a lot about this image, Scott. It fits the theme perfectly with the ice, the tone, and the visual play on words (cold fish). I don't think the composition is too bad either.
What bothers me a tiny bit is not having more of at least one of the fish in better focus, particularly the eye. I think that when there are eyes in the image, there is sort of natural desire of the viewer to see at least one of those eyes in focus.

That said, I suspect that this image will attract attention on the voting page and at thumbnail size the focus issues will be much less noticeable. Besides, considering a choice between having an eye in focus or the ice, the ice was probably the right decision in this case. Nice job.

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Cold?

Interesting concept. I think it is on track to convey the message.

I'd like to see some selective sharpening at the foreground ice, the small cube on the nearest fish and maybe some selective cast removal to bring the ice to a more whitish look. Maybe some sharpening to the foreground eye/mouth also.

I tried to rework from here, but it didn't play as nice as I would have liked. Maybe from the original. I think that you just need to draw more attention to the foremost one, leaving the others as supportive cast only. Not quite sure @ grain/crop/toning ... but it seems just a bit too homogenized for me in its present form. (posted before I saw original)

+1 @ Dennis ... particularly the eye. You might be able to add some selective sharpening to the eye to balance it a bit with the ice.

Took a stab at tweaks & crop ... overall, I don't think much of my changes as being "it", but the changes to the color balance and sharpening of the ice might be worth noting as you are working through your iterations. Also, it looked a little overcooked in the reds to my eye (overdue for screen calibration on my end, if it looks good to others).

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Cold?

I prefer the OP, color version. Interesting, hooked me.

Bob

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Cold?

The cool tone of the first is a visual clue but fish are such an interesting focal point and there's so little ice seen for context that it takes a while to even notice it. When I do notice the odd bits of ice it doesn't trigger any emotion response to cold and make me shiver because I'd expect dead fish on display to be cold.

What would make me shiver is a shot of a person sneaking on another from behind with an ice cube in hand. I'd like to see the reaction shot afterwards too... Other more R-rated possibilities come to mind...

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Cold?

Maybe a bit colder color rendition without sliding to purple:

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Cold?

thanks folks
I have incorporated some of your suggestion and posted the updated image for the WA Cold. Looks like some phenomenal entries.

Scott

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Cold?

Good luck Scott ... I'll be rootin' fer ya.

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password