Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

plasticmotif
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

The beauty of the NEX system is that you can use any of the best lenses ever made on it.

I've not been wow'd with any NEX specific lenses, E-mount. However, the CV15 + NEX 5N is amazing. I've printed up to 24 inches on the longside and they look amazing. (anecdotal I know).

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:33 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Jacob D wrote:
, but I can certainly imagine that the kit lens just wouldn't be good enough at some point. Moreso with the NEX7 which is going to require better glass and perfect technique,.

I don't quite understand that about requiring better glass, as long as we are not talking about lens / sensor mismatch on the NEX 7. System resolution is helped by sensor resolution, even with lesser lenses. A quick check at photozone, the kit lens on the NEX 7 24 MP gives about equal system resolution (3000 center / 2300 edge) as the praised 12-35 2.8 on u4/3 16 MP. It is also my experience with printing that more megapixels are easier to work with.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:45 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #3 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Nex-5n + CV 15/4.5. Small, light, great IQ. Zeiss-like clarity.

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:33 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern Dewit wrote:
I owned the 10-18 and combined with the NEX-7 was very disappointed (but maybe I had a bad copy). I've consistantly been diappointed with the NEX system (mostly by the lenses - and I've own all of the above except for the Sigma 30...) but maybe I've just had bad luck.

Vern have you been relying on AF when you're using the NEX lenses on mountaineering trips? i've found my images are almost always noticeably softer if i AF a NEX lens at a near infinity distance than if i turn off AF and do it manually myself. i suspect the sony AF algorithm sacrifices some accuracy to try and gain speed. also, the 100% samples i've seen from the new 10-18 have made it look like a match for the panasonic 7-14 to me.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern Dewit wrote:
I owned the 10-18 and combined with the NEX-7 was very disappointed (but maybe I had a bad copy). I've consistantly been diappointed with the NEX system (mostly by the lenses - and I've own all of the above except for the Sigma 30...) but maybe I've just had bad luck.

also, the one lens you haven't used is the sharpest for the system right now. :/

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

For hiking and climbing when weight is paramont, it seems to me that the Oly EPM2 (which has the same sensor as the OM-D) the panny 14 f/2.5 and 20 f/1.7 and possibly the Oly 45 f/1.8 would make an excellent kit. It doesn't have a finder, which personally I hate, but for this purpose the ultra tiny and very good lenses combined with the tiny camera with a very good sensor and in body stabilization is a great option. If you buy carefully it is not much more than the OP's budget either.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:55 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Steve Spencer wrote:
For hiking and climbing when weight is paramont, it seems to me that the Oly EPM2 (which has the same sensor as the OM-D) the panny 14 f/2.5 and 20 f/1.7 and possibly the Oly 45 f/1.8 would make an excellent kit. It doesn't have a finder, which personally I hate, but for this purpose the ultra tiny and very good lenses combined with the tiny camera with a very good sensor and in body stabilization is a great option. If you buy carefully it is not much more than the OP's budget either.

This is excellent advice. I wasn't aware the EPM2 has IBIS.

To make things even more complicated, another strategy to keep things light, is to use a higher resolution sensor that allows for more cropping, and fewer lenses. The OM-D / EPM2 sensor is essentially equal to a cropped NEX 7 sensor. The Sigma 19 mm f/2.8 alone on the NEX 7 could cover about the same FOV and resolution as the pair of panny 14 f/2.5 and 20 f71.7 on the EPM2.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Karel Geertsem

p.2 #8 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Missed the great deal on the Nex 5N - Dang! Only the 2-lens kit (18-55 + 55-210) remains with the 5N body for 650-50 cash back Euro's.
Alternative: 5R with 18-55, same price, 5R seems to have no advantage over 5N.
Most of your votes go to the Voigtlander 15mm; hard to find but sounds very attractive. Contax hard to find and quite expensive. Sigma is easy to find and cheap.

Then there is the Olympus E-PM2 with the 14-42 kit lens for 599 Euro's. Any thoughts on that kit lens? The kit lens might be the decisive factor between Sony and Olympus, together with the main advantage of the Nex: to be able to use all the Zeiss and other ALT lenses, or is that also possible with the E-PM2 regarding manual focus and availability of adapters?
I am not sure if i would like the fixed screen on the E-PM2, will have to handle the camera to see.
The weight difference between the Nex and the E-PM2 is only 10 grams, not an issue.

Indeed, Im fully aware that (max) 1000 Euros and a smallish sensor will not give me 5D2+Zeiss quality. All I want is a (major) upgrade from my S95, IQ and looks as close to the 5D2+Zeiss as possible, but a lot more portable.

You've been all very helpfull with great links and images, thank you!

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:53 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #9 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

I'd also make sure you test whatever camera you're considering in full outdoor sunlight, to make sure you're satisfied with the EVF or LCD. Most LCDs under normal settings are impossible to see in those conditions; you can set the NEX LCDs to "Sunny Weather" mode, and I find that works fine, though it bumps up the saturation so it may be hard to judge the colors in your scene. EVFs have their own issues.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:07 PM
802walker
• •
p.2 #10 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

I'll just throw in my 2 cents for the OM-D. I bought it specifically for long distance hiking. The battery lasts a very long time when you turn off some options (500+ frames). The weather protections gives you better insurance vs the NEX system (though 95% of the lenses are not weather sealed). And the IBIS means more often than not, I can hike without a tripod! And of course, there is an amazing selection of tiny lightweight lenses.

I won't lie that the OM-D has been a struggle to learn for me, but I'm getting the hang of it and love it. For my purpose, long distance hiking, the 3 things I cared about was weight, weather proofing, and battery life. That's why I chose the OM-D over the NEX6 or 7. I had my OM-D with 12-50 kit lens slung over my shoulder through rain and snow on a 4 day hike this past summer and it preformed flawlessly.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

I'm a little late to the discussion , but I'd save a bunch of cash and get the Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake - its my favorite hiking lens on the 6D. I often bring this, the C/Y 28 2.8, C/Y 85 2.8 and I'm covered.

I own the OM-D as well, which is awesome, but I still prefer the 6D files overall.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

sebboh wrote:
Vern have you been relying on AF when you're using the NEX lenses on mountaineering trips? i've found my images are almost always noticeably softer if i AF a NEX lens at a near infinity distance than if i turn off AF and do it manually myself. i suspect the sony AF algorithm sacrifices some accuracy to try and gain speed. also, the 100% samples i've seen from the new 10-18 have made it look like a match for the panasonic 7-14 to me.

Yes - of course! When you're dangling off a rappel rope you don't have time to MF... Also, most often I'm moving quickly to keep up to my partners. Very little time except at camp for anything other than AF.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Steve Spencer wrote:

That's what I'm using right now. The E-PM2 + 12mm, 17mm (1.8) and 45mm is a killer combo. For those who want an EVF for bright sunny days get the VF-3.

Here's a shot from the kit lens (14-42mm) that's also not bad - better than the NEX kit lenses that I've used and was $30 with the camera body:

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Karel Geertsem wrote:
Then there is the Olympus E-PM2 with the 14-42 kit lens for 599 Euro's.

Ebay is cheaper no? $664USD must be less than 599 Euro?

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:33 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Sweet shot Vern! I really need to take my RX1 backcountry skiing like this!

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern Dewit wrote:
Yes - of course! When you're dangling off a rappel rope you don't have time to MF... Also, most often I'm moving quickly to keep up to my partners. Very little time except at camp for anything other than AF.

yeah, that's what i figured. i actually preset my lenses to infinity focus for such situations. NEX AF sucks at long distances, it would annoy me a lot more if i actually used AF lenses more than a handful of times a year.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Karel Geertsem

p.2 #17 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Vern Dewit wrote:
Ebay is cheaper no? $664USD must be less than 599 Euro?

That's called taxes (or import duties)

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:55 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

Karel Geertsem wrote:
That's called taxes (or import duties)

Oh! Canada has this nifty thing where I don't even get charged taxes on imports from Asia. If I buy from the USA I get dinged 5% taxes (no duties due to free trade) but when I order from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan I don't get charged anything extra. Very handy...

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:29 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.2 #19 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

I don't see the big deal of carrying a 5d and lenses? I carry a 7d 17-40 and 70-200 with me all the time in my pack weather it be skiing, hiking or even multi day trips and I do ALOT of all. Technical rock is a pain in the ass but standard mountaineering routes again it's not that big of a deal. Learn to pack lighter everywhere else and the weight balances out. But yeah, for just hiking is the weight really a big deal? Perhaps you are carrying too many other things if it is?

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:47 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Hiking: IQ, weight, size = NEX6+kitlens?

time2clmb wrote:
I don't see the big deal of carrying a 5d and lenses? I carry a 7d 17-40 and 70-200 with me all the time in my pack weather it be skiing, hiking or even multi day trips and I do ALOT of all. Technical rock is a pain in the ass but standard mountaineering routes again it's not that big of a deal. Learn to pack lighter everywhere else and the weight balances out. But yeah, for just hiking is the weight really a big deal? Perhaps you are carrying too many other things if it is?

I admire your strength

And on social hikes no way I am going to give up those boxes with brownies to hand out

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:19 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password