Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

"The Godox Witstro bare-tube flash system, featuring lithium battery packs and wireless remote control, is to be distributed in the USA by Texas-based photo merchant CheetahStand. The flashgun will be called the Cheetah Bare Bulb Light CL-180 and the battery pack the CL4500, along with the CL-TX radio transmitter."

http://www.lightingrumours.com/godox-witstro-flash-to-be-sold-in-the-usa-by-cheetahstand-3298

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

The 180WS (and 360WS of it's brother) always looked wildly optimistic to me but if Cheetah are now selling it under heir name perhaps the specs are accurate.

Has anyone ever used these?

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:09 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Some discussions here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1270039

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:33 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Interesting....probably the smartest thing engineered here is (it is claimed) that essentially all the modifiers that can be used on the Qflash can be used here. I'm not sure about using the holder on the flash though as pictured, I doubt it can handle much weight or torque. But with the right stand adapter, it should be no problem. It's nice to see new lighting options that fit in between puny speedlites and heavy studio light systems

ken

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:12 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

What would be better a swivel base which would mate with a standard 5/8" stand stud like a studio mono-light and a speed ring mount for use with softboxes.

Bare bulb with umbrella will spill light outside the umbrella which is why studio lights are used with the standard reflector with umbrellas and a regular flash head would actually work better with an umbrella. Where a bare bulb is needed is bouncing the light in all directions inside of soft box. Thus an integrated speed ring would make more sense than the umbrella holder.

But it's a step in the right direction. I've been suggesting for years that Canon make a larger more powerful dedicated slave flash with stand mount base, bare bulb and integrated speed ring mount that would integrate with it's wireless ETTL / Manual control system.

You'd think Canon and Nikon might have noticed by now that a large percentage flashes it sells are used off camera and that photographers are switching to inverter powered mono-lights to get around the power limitations of speedlights whose size and weight is predicated on mounting in a hot shoe: a 19th century technology mechanical pin and spring electrical connector that caused the problems with the 580exII firing in TTL mode at random.

It's a case of not being able to look past traditional product lines to exploit new markets. That's what Buff did with Alien Bees. He had been making White Lighting lights for years and selling them in low volume to outfits that take photos with Santa at shopping malls. But he had the vision to see how the instant feedback of digital would make hobbyists want to do studio lighting and created a new product niche of low cost lights with an catchy name and day glo colors as a marketing gimmick. Worked out pretty good for him. Nikon and Canon could have tapped the same market if they thought outside the box of only making flashes that fit in a hot shoe.

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:09 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

I think you're right about if Canon came out with something similar, I would have bought it as a bridge system in between my puny speedlites and my more powerful studio strobes, instead of my Quantums. Not to disparage the Qflash, because they are indeed rock solid and have great customer service. It's nice to have a portable system where you need more than a speedlite, yet not the bulk and inconvenience of hauling around the studio strobes and packs.

I think the reason why Nikon and Canon stay "mainstream" is that is where the bulk of sales are. I actually am not a fan of TTL. But I think "wireless TTL" isn't the panacea that many think it may be, and frankly, I think many photographers are scared of "manual" lights. And the Quantum Qflash is expensive. It will be interesting to see what develops here----I'd like to see if other modifiers come out of this system that perhaps I could use.... If it really does come out as an inexpensive barebulb type system, I think more people would be willing to try it. Is it me or does that wireless system look a lot like a Pocket Wizard??

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:56 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Quantums filled the niche between speedlights and monolights for wedding shooters. Back in 2003-2004 I seriously considered getting them instead of my Canon speed lights and AB800s studio lights but the latter was cheaper, all in, and less complicated. Just trying to configure a Quantum system is like ordering Chinese off a menu written in Mandarin. The Quantum while ideal on a stand is a handful to use on camera on a bracket compared to a speedlight and having used battery packs before I don't like being tethered to the camera or lugging around a ball and chain.

Buff, when he introduced the Vagabond portable power solution ate Quantum's lunch. For situations where all the lights are on stands using a Mono-light + inverter is the same logistically and you get more bang for the buck.

My "dream" system for "run and gun" shooting would be a 600EX-RT on camera bracket controlling a larger stand mounted bare bulb 1200EX-RTs with twice the power and an external power pack on the stands via radio control from the Master, or the ST-E3 in static situations where all the lights are on stands. It should be relatively simple for Canon to make: same control circuits with more capacitors and a larger flash tube.

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Interesting ... my Armatar died last year.

Jan 28, 2013 at 08:30 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

cgardner wrote:
...Bare bulb with umbrella will spill light outside the umbrella which is why studio lights are used with the standard reflector with umbrellas...

Fortunately, the Cheetah will have an available umbrella reflector, as well as standard reflector, snoot, soft box, etc., and reflectors from other makers (like Quantum) will also fit.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Sellerman

p.1 #10 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Price range for these units are around $399-$600 on ebay. Accessories range from $150-$500.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Is that inclusive of the battery pack?

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Sellerman

p.1 #12 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Yes it is.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:17 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Sellerman wrote:
Price range for these units are around $399-$600 on ebay.

That would be for the Godox-labeled version, though; not for the Cheetah-labeled ones, which may or may not be priced the same. Time will tell.

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Sellerman

p.1 #14 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

BrianO wrote:
That would be for the Godox-labeled version, though; not for the Cheetah-labeled ones, which may or may not be priced the same. Time will tell.

So in theory, cheetah would be more expensive (?)

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:55 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

BrianO wrote:
...the Cheetah-labeled ones...may or may not be priced the same. Time will tell.

Sellerman wrote:
So in theory, cheetah would be more expensive (?)

"Would be..."? What theory would dictate that?

"Could be..." Yes; or they could be less, or they could be the same. Time will tell.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:06 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Pricing:

http://flashhavoc.com/cheetah-light-cl180-pricing/

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #17 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

This looks very interesting....I really like my Quantums, but struggle to find various modifiers for the system. Maybe this will open the door some for more choices to fit the Qflash.
Reading the specs on this, it looks like a really nice system to use for location shoots. I shoot my Quantum gear on manual anyway...the only thing that it seems to be missing other than the obvious TTL, etc.. is a focus assist from the remote transmitter. This is where the Pilot and CoPilot have it beat.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:27 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

too bad it can't be plugged into a conventional AC outlet. I'd rather use the vagabond battery than their proprietary power pack.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #19 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Sunpak kinda did themselves a disservice by discontinuing the 120J - it's a fantastic manual light that I use all the time when doing location work. Aftermarket pricing shows there is a demand, but they don't seem to care, which is a shame. Its the first portable light I grab when doing location shooting, and I've got a bunch of assorted small flashes.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM
swldstn
• •
p.1 #20 · Bare bulb flash ala Sunpak 120j

Just finding this thread and I know its a little stale but....

I have 600EX-RT speedlights (x3) but recently saw a experienced wedding photographer using a great bare-bulb system more effectively that I got with my single speedlight so I've been slowly trying to find out more about these.

Is there any chance Canon will come out with an RX compatible receiver to use with older 580EX-II or more importantly with to use with something like the CL-180 shown here? Or for that matter any third party manual flash? Then I could get this and tie it in with my canon system.

Maybe I just should have stayed with the Pocket Wizard System to I could mix and match equipment. I agree TTL hasn't been that effective since AP doesn't really meter the way I expected it to.

Jun 05, 2013 at 10:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password