Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Upload test

FLSTCSAM
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Upload test

Just want to see if I can upload an image.

Sam

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Upload test

looks like you can
and you most images need to be constrained to 800 pixels vertical, but can go to 1000 or more horizontally. Dimension recommendations based on compatibility with a large number of viewers without scrolling.
This looks like a fine image.
Want to post a larger version?
Scott

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:01 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Upload test

Welcome... The test worked.

Nicely composed shot. It has a full range of detail but lacks the crispness seen in person. That's the result of underexposure at capture pushing all the highlights and mid-tones darker than typically seen by eye so the limited range of the camera can record more detail in the shadows. That's not a bad strategy at capture (there are better ones) but to get "normal" looking results it is necessary to shift the highlights and midtones back to their perceptually correct values in PP. There are many ways to do that. The oldest and simplest in Photoshop is Levels. Most editors have a similar function.

First adjust the highlight slider left until specular highlight and small insignificant highlights like the bow wake clip. Then once the highlights are "normalized" to what is seen by eye move the middle slider left until the midtones look "right" and match the in-person impression.

A way to get that control over the highlights at capture is to keep the over-exposed highlight warning on in the playback when shooting and chimp/adjust until the brightest highlights like the bow wake are at or just below clipping. If you shoot RAW those same areas may be a bit darker than seen by eye or desired in the final edit, but keep in mind there will be some lose of detail going from 16 bit 8 bit depth when making the smaller JPG to post on line here. Like cutting logs if the end product is an 8' long 2x4 you don't want to cut the logs exactly 8' when you chop down the tree.

If you expose the highlights per the clipping warning you may still need to make a slight adjustment of mid-tones with the middle slider to "normalize" them and will also record less shadow detail. But in most subjects, as in this one, all the important details are in the highlights and midtones not the shadows so that loss will not be missed.

When in doubt expose per the highlight warning then bracket a higher and lower. On most cameras that bracketing can be done automatically via a menu setting. That way back on the computer when you see three different renderings limited by the sensor's range you can pick the one that has the best "normal" exposure on the focal point like the boat here.

In terms of composition the sharpness of the background makes the detail in the foreground difficult to see. It's a situation where selective DOF can be used to make similar toned foreground content contrast via relative sharpness, something more important in a B&W conversion where there is no color contrast between white boat and colorful water and skyline. I blurred a copy copy then masked out the boat. Not so much blur that the context of the location isn't recognized, more like just knocking off the sharp edges.

Again the goal is finding ways to make the focal point contrast. When there's no color or tonal contrast you can create contrasting sharpness via aperture selection and DOF. While not applicable here you can control contrast in size of foreground / background with shooting distance. If shot from closer in the near /far perspective would have made the skyline smaller compared to the boat. Shot from very far away with a long lens the building would appear larger that normal relate to the boat. Here the relative sizes look "seen by eye" normal with works well here once the background is made less distracting:

I added the black mat to "bounce" attention back down when the sky pulls attention off the boat. It also creates a perceptual baseline for the overall tonal range which will make anything lighter in the photo seem like it has more detail. The brain is fooled because we are conditioned to equate tones above max. black in the field of vision with detail when looking at a photographic reproduction.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Upload test

FLSTCSAM ... Welcome to the Forum, looks like a successful upload.

Looking forward to seeing more ... guessing you've got some Softail pics in there to show as well.

+1 @ Scott ... larger image is welcome, 800px tall is a good rule of thumb, but variance to that isn't the end of the world either.

Chuck makes a few good points. This one is also one that if you were to apply the blur test (second image below) to it, it will reveal that the tonal values are challenging to provide distinction / separation for. The BG blur that Chuck uses illustrates the point a bit at driving separation, but a good mask for the vessel/bg separation is a bit of an undertaking for selective use (intricacies of vessel) where a larger aperture at capture might have helped a bit (if that is what you were going for). Although, I think the intent for the image was the combination of both.

This is one that I'm wondering if the original color version would have helped a bit more with some color clues to help with the viewing distinction / separation. Maybe even a muted selective color might be something for consideration (original dependent).

I took a stab at it a bit, nothing to get excited about, just some skill building tweaks for a different approach. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

Again, welcome to the forum ... looking forward to more.

Jan 28, 2013 at 05:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Upload test

Despite the exposure/shadow detail shortcomings, which are worth correcting IMO, I much prefer the darker tones and mood of the original.
Scott

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:02 PM
FLSTCSAM
• •
p.1 #6 · Upload test

Thank you all for your responses!

I will post larger images next time, and I appreciate all the time you took to post.

Sam

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password