Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Rickuz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Steve Torelli wrote:
"Post photos using 4 different cameras, 2 from Canon, 2 from Nikon. I'd put my money on you not being able to tell which one was shot with which camera. The differences are pretty small these days to the point of totally nit picking. When did photography become all about the gear? Rediculous."

+10

- 20 and + 9 to what Chez wrote.

chez wrote:
Posting a jpeg reduced to a small size...yes I agree with you. But who buys a D800 to post images on the net? Print a large detailed landscape, one shot with the D800 and the other with a 5d3 and I can tell them apart. Been there, done that. I too am awaiting Canon's high mpix better DR camera.

But he is also wrong on one thing. A jpeg with pushed shadows, reduced to a small size - I can tell the difference even there.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:38 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Proper exposure, good composition, intimate knowledge of your camera gear, sound photography technique (aperture, focus selection, tripod usage, etc.) and most importantly, a good post processing skill play more an important role than the gear itself in the final quality of real life images.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Am used to shooting more with 8x10 to 12x20 negatives and contact printing. That is what I compare to.
Am interested in the highest quality final images in print and for now Canon appears to be lagging behind Nikon.
Yes, I am considering a next digital body and still have a decent set of Nikon prime lenses in addition to my Canon digital bodies and AF lenses.

If I can't get what I need from Canon within a reasonable time I'll go with the D800e to use those times weather makes the LF gear unmanageable.

Would not mind staying with Canon. Sure would like some indication they are going to at least match the final image quality I am seeing from what Nikon has now.

I do know Canon was talking a 50MP chip 'better than anything' within the past year. Might be nice to see if it will become reality in a body.

No, the wifi and GPS is not anything I need. Same with all the modes. Manual, Shutter and Aperture priority is all I need depending on the subject matter.

Auto Focus helps with eyes that aren't as sharp and fast as they used to be 40 years ago. All in all, am just looking for what will give the highest quality.

Years back most any body was fine coupled with good lenses - with Contax film flattening vacuum possibly having an advantage. We all chose the film for our purposes - and I miss Kodachrome 25 and Fuji 50 both. Now it is the bodies that take the place of the film choice for ultimate quality. Why blame someone who wants the highest quality possible within the limitations of what gear is reasonably available?

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM
AFC168
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Yes. Canon really does need a high MP camera with better DR than the D800e. Unfortunately, I doubt it will come soon. From what I've read and people I've talked to, the 7D II will probably come out this year, but no news of any high MP until 2014 ...

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:14 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Why blame someone who wants the highest quality possible within the limitations of what gear is reasonably available?

I am not sure about the other folks but I do not blame you for looking into the highest quality possible. But keep in mind that people preference varies widely as does the type of photography people do. Some features are desirable and may turn out to be more preferred by others than just mere image quality. In addition, lenses in your lineup play a significant role as a part of the whole system and not only the camera, let alone the sensor. If you feel that your photography is hampered by your existing gear then by all means, jump the ship and get yourself a Nikon system.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:20 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Calling someone a troll or a fanboy is not helpful behavior. Please just ignore the thread if you don't agree with the poster.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Waiting on Canon to produce a body with the ultimate image quality of the Nikon D800e.

The D600 wipes out the 6D in most ways. Many of us don't need gimmicks like wifi or GPS. We want higher quality images.

When will you guys respond to Nikon with much higher quality sensors?

:-) A paper tiger. Did you read the specs or held one of both in your hand?
Something wrong with 6Ds IQ?

If I would need a sports body I would prefere 1D X instead of D4.
If I would need an all around tool I would prefere 5D III about D800 and go for the better AF, higher ISO and ooc JPEG and silent mode.
If I would need or want higher resolution and best DR I would purchase a D800.
Concerning my needs the 6D is my choice followed by 5D III and still 5D II over the D600.

Many of us think the same way. ;-)

But to answer your question (tread titel):
I am sure Canon will answer the D800(e). And I am pretty sure they will not need 4 years for it like Nikon did.

Ralph

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

and most importantly, a good post processing skill play more an important role than the gear itself in the final quality of real life images.

The voice of reason. I have seen iphone pictures that are better than most of mine when the skills of a true PS guru gets ahold of them. And if you are looking for just megapixels, why not go with a medium format digital back? You can get a used one for a decent price now and it will blow anything from CaNikon out of the water.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Now it is the bodies that take the place of the film choice for ultimate quality. Why blame someone who wants the highest quality possible within the limitations of what gear is reasonably available?

I don't think anyone ever blamed people for wanting the best image possible. I think we have wondered why you haven't started to use the gear that gives you the quality you need. Constantly lamenting that Canon is behind in sensor technology (only low ISO DR) is not going to get you better photos anytime soon. Buying a D800E will.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:29 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

I'd kill for even a 21MP sensor with the DR of Nikon's counterparts. I knew the second I heard Sony was making their electronics they were going to kill Canon. Sony adopted much of their BluRay, TV, and Home Theater know-how and ported it to a digital camera sensor that is unrivaled. Period.

Edited on Jan 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:36 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Everyone has their own opinion and its not the same as yours.

One friend got rid of his canon kit due to the Nikon sensor. Two d800s later he wasn't happy with the focus problems so he switched to Sony. He shoots with a lot of flare and the Sony wouldn't AF. So now he's back with canon.

There is more to a camera system for some people than a sensor and, as usual, this topic singularly fails to address them.

We all know canon need to improve their low ISO dr. If its a problem for you, switch and get a whole new set of problems to deal with

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Daniel Smith wrote:
If I can't get what I need from Canon within a reasonable time I'll go with the D800e to use those times weather makes the LF gear unmanageable.

We don't know what you define as a "reasonable time", and we don't know when Canon will meet your demand, if ever. Just get a D800E now and enjoy your photography. Simple as that.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

At this point I don't think there's any exigency for Canon to release a high MP body. The horse is already out of the barn with the D800/E, and any sales that Canon would have lost by not having a competing high MP body have already been lost, with only a slow trickle of system switchers remaining. The high MP body is coming but there's no hurry IMO.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:40 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

kewlcanon wrote:
Don't feed the troll.

+1

Nothing new here.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

saneproduction wrote:
Calling someone a troll or a fanboy is not helpful behavior. Please just ignore the thread if you don't agree with the poster.

+1, now you now why the negative tone coming from. For others, you can find who you really are here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183445

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

saneproduction wrote:

mttran wrote:
+1, now you now why the negative tone coming from. For others, you can find who you really are here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183445

...or here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183661

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:36 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

truth is a competent photographer can take excellent pictures with any of the current Nikon & Canon full frames
5D III & 1DX are excellent IQ and low noise
where is the problem?

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:39 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

jcolwell wrote:
...or here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183661

+1, I love the sound of your post better...it's a shame that we can't have more post same style as yours. Thanks for your coaching

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:40 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

Maybe troll is a little bit too harsh how about Drama Queen/King, Inferiority complex person, or .

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Will Canon answer the D800e?

abqnmusa wrote:
truth is a competent photographer can take excellent pictures with any of the current Nikon & Canon full frames
5D III & 1DX are excellent IQ and low noise
where is the problem?

I recently took an excellent photo with a camera that wasn't made by Canon or Nikon, and it even wasn't full frame! :

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.