Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

jeffs55

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

I think that I read somewhere that the little red focus lights that you see when you are focusing on your subject are not visible against a dark background on the mk iii. Is this true? Other than that when compared to my current 50D, are there any drawbacks that would keep me from wanting this camera? thanx

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:30 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

I worried about this also until i got hold of mine. The thing is, the af is so fast and so accurate, i dont worry about it any more. Why do we need "confirmation" when 99% of the time the af locks on exactly where you want. The othe attributes of the camera far outweighs this minor disadvantage.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:53 AM
jeffs55

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

So, are you saying that this fault exists but that it is of no consequence? thanx

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

It exist. The consequences are you can loose where your focus point is when it is dark. The workaround is to tap the joystick to make it light then move the focus point to where you need it. Overall it is a minor inconvenience that hopefully will get fixed by Canon.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

It is quite complicated to explain, but you will understand it in a second once you see it. Maybe you could go to your local shop and play with one so you could decide for yourself if it is something you can deal with or not.

The 7D does basically the same thing... I have found it largely inconsequential transitioning from a 50D.

Paul

Jan 27, 2013 at 06:17 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

I have not seen what people are talking about. When mine gets focus the points light up and the whole grid flashes and (IMO) provides a far more obvious sign of focus confirmation than previous cameras.

What I have noticed is that in low light focus is slow but when confirmed is dead on. The mk2, by comparison, was equally slow but far more unreliable.

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

^ that might be due to slow lenses. The 5d3 like the 7d requires fast L class lenses for its AF to shine.

re: AF box in the dark. I do not find that a big problem. You just get used to it. What I feel it is rather dorky is people can see a red pulse at the other end of the lens barrel.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

markd61 wrote:
I have not seen what people are talking about. When mine gets focus the points light up and the whole grid flashes and (IMO) provides a far more obvious sign of focus confirmation...

You must be in one-shot AF mode. Switch to AI Servo and you will notice that the squares don't illuminate- even when in focus.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

Ghost wrote:
re: AF box in the dark. I do not find that a big problem. You just get used to it. What I feel it is rather dorky is people can see a red pulse at the other end of the lens barrel.

Agree 100%

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:30 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

The focus points light up when the camera sees a dark background. If there is enough light you just get the black boxes. It really is not an issue for me. Miles better than my 5D2 as a complete package.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:54 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D mkIII general question

That is only if you have that set, i.e. default, you can change it so the red shows always in the custom functions.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:50 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password