Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

Keeping stuff with active coal (hope its right name) helps getting rid of that stench.

Otherwise it doesnt have any effect apart from that..

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:41 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

Mescalamba wrote:
Keeping stuff with active coal (hope its right name) helps getting rid of that stench.

Otherwise it doesnt have any effect apart from that..

Wanna bet? I used to smoke. When I quit, I moved from my apartment because of the smell. I pitched the bed and mattress. I had to wash all my clothes twice. Drapes were pitched, even after dry-cleaning. The discoloration was apparently permanent.

Activated charcoal cannot reach the innards of cameras and other gear to remove the stench. A friend stopped smoking and had to pitch a computer. Everything inside was coated with gunk. Every time he started it, he had to shut it down.

In case you didn't know, nicotine is a poison.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

runamuck wrote:
Wanna bet? I used to smoke. When I quit, I moved from my apartment because of the smell. I pitched the bed and mattress. I had to wash all my clothes twice. Drapes were pitched, even after dry-cleaning. The discoloration was apparently permanent.

Activated charcoal cannot reach the innards of cameras and other gear to remove the stench. A friend stopped smoking and had to pitch a computer. Everything inside was coated with gunk. Every time he started it, he had to shut it down.

Should been more specific. Keeping gear of smoker after he sold it to you in small airtight space with active charcoal for some time should help. Tho I guess it depends how heavy smoker was previous owner. I bought one like this and its fine now (tho wasnt horrible before either).

Yep I know its poison. Very efficient on certain plant bugs too. I prefer nargileh/hookah over cigarettes.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:31 PM
carnac
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

A week later and over 20 replies - either the OP didn't like the answers, didn't care about the question, or has passed out from second hand smoke.

Jim

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:25 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

runamuck wrote:

It's not the nicotine that kills either the people or the camera gear...

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Sellerman
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

OK.. so we can narrow it down to a few things. Nasty smell, taints, but poison?

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

It's not the nicotine that kills either the people or the camera gear...

What are you smoking

The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 30–60 mg (0.5–1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[6][71] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has an LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg when administered to mice. It is unlikely that a person would overdose on nicotine through smoking alone, although overdose can occur through combined use of nicotine patches or nicotine gum and cigarettes at the same time.[7] Spilling a high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can cause intoxication or even death, since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following dermal contact.[72]

Historically, nicotine has not been regarded as a carcinogen and the IARC has not evaluated nicotine in its standalone form and assigned it to an official carcinogen group. While no epidemiological evidence supports that nicotine alone acts as a carcinogen in the formation of human cancer, research over the last decade has identified nicotine's carcinogenic potential in animal models and cell culture.[73][74] Nicotine has been noted to directly cause cancer through a number of different mechanisms such as the activation of MAP Kinases.[75] Indirectly, nicotine increases cholinergic signalling (and adrenergic signalling in the case of colon cancer[76]), thereby impeding apoptosis (programmed cell death), promoting tumor growth, and activating growth factors and cellular mitogenic factors such as 5-LOX, and EGF. Nicotine also promotes cancer growth by stimulating angiogenesis and neovascularization.[77][78] In one study, nicotine administered to mice with tumors caused increases in tumor size (twofold increase), metastasis (nine-fold increase), and tumor recurrence (threefold increase).[79]

The teratogenic properties of nicotine has been investigated. According to a study of ca. 77,000 pregnant women in Denmark, women who used nicotine gum and patches during the early stages of pregnancy were found to face an increased risk of having babies with birth defects. The study showed that women who used nicotine-replacement therapy in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy had a 60% greater risk of having babies with birth defects compared to women who were non-smokers.

Nicotine use among pregnant women has also been correlated to increased frequency of ADHD. Children born to mothers who used tobacco were two and a half times more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD.[80] Froelich estimated that "exposure to higher levels of lead and prenatal tobacco each accounted for 500,000 additional cases of ADHD in U.S. children".[81]

Effective April 1, 1990, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) of the California Environmental Protection Agency added nicotine to the list of chemicals known to cause developmental toxicity.[82]

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:09 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

The most dangerous thing about nicotine isn't merely that it's poisonous, but that it rapidly (and near permanently) re-wires your brain to insist on dumping poisons/particulates/radioisotopes into your body over and over again.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

mpmendenhall wrote:
... over and over again.

Unlike Alt glass...

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:14 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

jcolwell wrote:
Unlike Alt glass...

If your alt glass is encouraging you to ingest poison several times a day, then you're definitely getting different results from your lenses than I am...

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:30 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

My mother used to manage a small apartment complex and I used to paint apartments between tenants. If you didn't scrub the walls at least twice with TSP, the paint wouldn't even stick...it was like trying to paint over vaseline. And, even with the TSP washes, if you didn't paint multiple coats of Kilz before using paint, the nicotine would bleed through. It was at least 5X as much work painting after a smoker vs a non-smoker. I won't buy anything from a smoking household.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:44 PM
capt don
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

When the old 20d was the camera rage, I picked up an extra body from a local guy on craigslist, my wife kept asking what that smell in the living room was. Well it was that camera body, we tried everything including putting in a sealed container with baking soda to soak up the odor. Finally put it in the garage and sold it. I just couldn't use it, every time I put the camera up to my eye to take the shot all you did was smell cigarettes.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

jcolwell wrote:
Unlike Alt glass...

mpmendenhall wrote:
If your alt glass is encouraging you to ingest poison several times a day, then you're definitely getting different results from your lenses than I am...

I was only commenting on the habit forming aspect of Alt glass.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

My wife took a small bureau from the family next door when the elder matriarch passed away 15 years ago. She was a smoker. That bureau still smells to this day and if my wife hadn't loaded it with crap, I'd toss it to the curb. And I'm an ex-smoker.

My son took his wife's grandmother's china cabinet when she died about 10 years ago. That thing still reeks and It's only the sentimental value that keeps it in his house.

My mother was a heavy smoker for most of her life but was forced to quit over 10 years ago due to a near-death medical emergency. Despite replacing almost all of her furniture, her long held apartment still smelled until the day she died last year. The landlord refused to return the security deposit because of the extreme measures required to re-paint and get rid of the smell.

Long story short - yes, gear owned by a smoker will stink until it is retired to the ashbin of photographic history.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

What does smoking do to camera gear?

It makes the glass in the lenses turn yellow.

Here's how to fix it, http://web.aanet.com.au/bayling/repair.html

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:56 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

I really don't go around sniffing my camera gear.

I only care if it works properly. I have yet to personally see any photo gear or computer fail from second hand smoke.

I am not saying it can't happen, only that I have never personally witnessed it.

I have noticed odors from clothing and furniture from various sources. But then those items have porous surfaces.

I am going to stop here.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

jcolwell wrote:
Unlike Alt glass...

mpmendenhall wrote:

jcolwell wrote:
I was only commenting on the habit forming aspect of Alt glass.

It must be a toxic old Pentax lens.

EBH

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:37 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

jcolwell wrote:
It makes the glass in the lenses turn yellow.

Here's how to fix it, http://web.aanet.com.au/bayling/repair.html

Because if I have a lens with some radioactive material in it-- my first thought (instead of shooting it, where it's contained and safe-- is to pulverize and hope I inhale some of the particulate matter resulting from said pulverizing.

Re smoking homes and gear: It stinks like hell-- just like the inhabitants though they have no idea. It gets gunky/sticky stuff inside and out. It's just nasty from a functional/olfactory sense.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:09 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

mike-in-ak wrote:
I really don't go around sniffing my camera gear.

I only care if it works properly. I have yet to personally see any photo gear or computer fail from second hand smoke.

Well I tend to use my eyes a lot when using my cameras, and my eyes happen to be relatively close to my nose. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I bought a F80 that reeked of smoke. Sprayed Febreeze onto a rag and wiped it down a few times and it was as good as new.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What does smoking do to camera gear?

Smoke can be pervasive and work its way into the permeable parts of the camera such as the rubber grip and leave a lingering smell that many find uncomfortable.

The smoke can also leave a grime/residue on components in the camera. That's the long term effect. I doubt anyone actually owns a digital camera long enough and smokes often enough around it to really have a detrimental effect aside from the smell.

Whenever I photograph a fire my camera and bag usually smell like smoke for the next 3-4 days, I let it air out and the smell is gone.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:05 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.