New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Camera controls in 5 years

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camera controls in 5 years

One advance I think would catch on is a inconspicuous EVF that can be worn on the head like all that sci-fi stuff....so I can hold and point a camera in any position and see exactly what the lens sees.
As for touch screen controls.....it will be a long time before I use a camera where I don't move a control of some kind to make it work as I want.

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camera controls in 5 years

joshadams wrote:
I agree if you're using EVF/OVF, but what if everything is via live view? Then you're touching the image you're looking at.

I need a viewfinder. Liveview is only occasionally practical. A 500 or 600mm lens needs to be usable handheld or balanced on a molar bag, etc. Holding even a smallish SLR at arms length with a 24-70 for example is just not an option.

EBH

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camera controls in 5 years

mpmendenhall wrote:
That's not a silly consideration --- you just caught one of my personal camera use biases. Since I shoot exclusively with manual focus lenses, I think of selecting autofocus points by touch as an inevitable camera feature for other people to use, but not a critical feature for my own photography. I suppose if I was an autofocus user, I'd want eye controlled focus; as a manual focuser, I already have eye controlled focus with a good viewfinder . Perhaps an eye-controlled focus point magnification on an EVF would be a useful feature for me; but I suspect that a
...Show more

That sounds reasonable! I could go for that.

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camera controls in 5 years

Considering that I live in South Dakota, where it gets double digit below zero in winter and gloves are a necessity if you wish to keep your fingers, you can guess how I voted.

Kent in SD

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camera controls in 5 years

The big issue for me is when it is middle of the night and I am wearing double gloves with heaters to keep my finger warm enough to press the shutter. I find buttons hard to find because there is no feeling. Many buttons are hard to see, so I have to turn on the headlamp which also has a button that only King Kong can push hard enough.

I recently tried and liked a 5DmkIII which has all basic controls visible on the LCD so I can see them without the headlamp. Not sure I could select them with gloves however. Probably have to still remove the outer glove and use the inner thin glove and hope my finger does not fall off.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camera controls in 5 years

You need a camera that responds to verbal commands such as "f/7.1, ISO 400, auto aperture, exp. +1/3."

EBH

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:06 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camera controls in 5 years

jcolwell wrote:
Focus!

I did. It only served to accentuate my awareness of how my train of thought derailed and now careens wildly about the countryside.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camera controls in 5 years

I hope and belive it will be buttons

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:03 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Camera controls in 5 years

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
I hope and believe it will be buttons

I'm happy with all buttons too, but I don't have faith that the engineers (or marketing) will leave well enough alone. I can totally foresee a Siri-like camera. Imagine a group photo shoot with five guys yelling at their cameras. "Camera, don't listen to him. I want f/8, not an 1/8th of a second." "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Camera controls in 5 years

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..."

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:57 AM
wilt
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Camera controls in 5 years

I did not vote, because the poll does NOT contain a choice that I want!

I want the camera can be operated without looking when my eye is to the viewfinder. I do not want to be forced to pull back from the viewfinder to find some damn electronic button (which takes the place of a thumbwheel or rotary control or actual pushbutton).
I want my finger to fall on a control via muscle memory so that I can shoot in a dark setting without having to stick my eye up to a viewfinder to find some electronic mouse control inside the viewfinder, when the camera is on a tripod.

Automobile controls already suck on new cars, where you have to take your eye off the road to look at a damn LCD control screen, to turn the heater higher or to control the fan speed, or to change the radio controls, or to navigate a damn multi-function menu system to dim the control panel more.

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:33 PM
pmiller228
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Camera controls in 5 years

I wouldn't ever want touch controls..break the screen, no controls.

Maybe multiple capacitive touch areas to replace physical button/increase weather sealing abilities.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Camera controls in 5 years

there is nothing like the tactile feel of an actual physical control

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Rob Whiting
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Camera controls in 5 years

Camera controls haven't evolved all that much in the past 20 years. I doubt we'll see much evolution in the next 5. Buttons & dials work, that's why they're still there. I can see touch screens being used to review images on the back, but not controlling anything.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.