Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

I did some family photography over the holidays and tried printing a few. Well, my beautiful daughter's uglier-than-sin step brothers broke my printer. SSo I shipped them off to wallyworld, a few blocks away. When I got the photos a couple hours later I wondered if replacing the broken printer was a wise decision.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

cgardner wrote:
LPI and DPI actually refer to the same thing, the spacing between centers of the dots.

Well, this is all academic at this point but I think you're confused. Have a read:

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/measure_lpi.htm

And maybe read the whole article if you're interested in what all 3 (4 if we include SPI) mean, what they refer to, and how they're used:
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/meas_resolution.htm

LPI != DPI (not the same at all!)

Likewise PPI is not the same as DPI.

------- PPI -------------------- DPI -------

And neither DPI, PPI or LPI are directly related in any kind of absolute way - although SPI and PPI are.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

runamuck wrote:
I did some family photography over the holidays and tried printing a few. Well, my beautiful daughter's uglier-than-sin step brothers broke my printer. SSo I shipped them off to wallyworld, a few blocks away. When I got the photos a couple hours later I wondered if replacing the broken printer was a wise decision.

+1

At work over the years I wrote contract specs, bought and used (with your tax dollars) dozens of laser, dye sub, wide format ink jet printers and about $6 million of drum scanners, proofing systems, offset presses and toner based file-in, completed book out quick print systems. But personally I've only owned three printers: a dot matrix purchased in 1982 with my Tandy TRS-100 portable computer, a B&W Apple StyleWriter dot-matrix with my Mac 6100 in 1994, and a HP7980 8/C letter size about 10 years ago.

When I need prints I go to Costco. The geek side of me would love to play around with printing, but with the few prints I produce a year it's just not worth the expense of buying a new one. If I worked as a pro doing anything other than large fine arts prints where the profit margin justified the time invested in DIY printing I'd send the work to a pro lab like WHCC.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

runamuck wrote:

+1

At work over the years I wrote contract specs, bought and used (with your tax dollars) dozens of laser, dye sub, wide format ink jet printers and about $6 million of drum scanners, proofing systems, offset presses and toner based file-in, completed book out quick print systems. But personally I've only owned three printers: a dot matrix purchased in 1982 with my Tandy TRS-100 portable computer, a B&W Apple StyleWriter dot-matrix with my Mac 6100 in 1994, and a HP7980 8/C letter size about 10 years ago.

When I need prints I go to Costco. The geek side of me would love to play around with printing, but with the few prints I produce a year it's just not worth the expense of buying a new one. If I worked as a pro doing anything other than large fine arts prints where the profit margin justified the time invested in DIY printing I'd send the work to a pro lab like WHCC.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Image PPI to Printer DPI

Bifurcator wrote:
Well, this is all academic at this point but I think you're confused. Have a read:

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/meas_resolution.htm

LPI != DPI (not the same at all!)

Likewise PPI is not the same as DPI.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/DPI_and_PPI.png">

------- PPI -------------------- DPI -------

And neither DPI, PPI or LPI are directly related in any kind of absolute way - although SPI and PPI are.

DPI and LPI terminology date back over 100 years and my personal experience using the terms for analog reproduction using halftone dots pre-date DTP by about 20 years. Not at some mom and pop print shop, making maps and reproducing photos at National Geographic. By 1989 I was installing a Mac based DTP system and imagesetters in Manila and consulting on DTP in Bangkok and Rangoon. So with all due respect to your web searching abilities I think I'm a better authority than some random web page off the Internet.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password