Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

iweiner

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

peter_n: How did you unfreeze your Markins?

This can happen if you overtightened the ball lock. The remedy to unfreeze requires the friction adjust knob to be loosened and gently given a sharp rap. Loosen the main ball and readjust.

irv weiner

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:42 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

iweiner wrote:
peter_n: How did you unfreeze your Markins?

I brought it inside. Actually I did more than that. I was able to loosen the friction screw pretty easily and twiddled the main knob a bit and it began to loosen, although it was binding for quite a while. The temperature outside was 1°F (-17°C) and the head was out in the cold for a very long time. There was a thin coating of frozen condensation on the ball even though I had made sure everything was clean and OK before I took it out. After a while inside it was back to normal.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:37 PM
adam613
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I have a PhotoClam PT-224 tripod that I've been pretty happy with. It's similar in quality to the Feisol Tournament-class tripods. Relatively light, the leg locks are very easy to use, and the center column is removable. The plate that goes in place of the center column seems pretty solid once I screwed it in tightly. The rubber feet can be removed to reveal spikes. I haven't tested the stability at long focal lengths, but it has no problem with long exposures in a little wind.

It's obviously no competitor to the RRS Series 2, but at less than half the price, it's a good value. Between it and the Feisol CT-3442, I'd say it's hard to go wrong with either one.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I'm sure the Photo clam products are ok, but it's rather funny to read in this forum. I read this thread where the Photo Clam ballheads are as good or the same as the Markins. And then the Photo Clam tripods are as good or the same as Feisol Tripods. Two minutes ago I was reading the other thread/post here with the Feisol CT-3442 tripod and ballhead review. And he say this "You won’t miss any shots or functionality by choosing Feisol over a more expensive Gitzo or RRS"

So I suppose all ballheads & tripods from Photo Clam, Feisol, RRS, Markins & Gitzo all have the same quality, functionality and build

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:22 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I know it's tongue in cheek, but that's an over-generalization Lars. In each case of a report here you're dealing with a sample of one, both in terms of the person reporting their experience and the product sample they're writing about.

However I think the statement "you won’t miss any shots or functionality by choosing Feisol over a more expensive Gitzo or RRS" should be taken with a grain of salt if the person making the statement has not had the same kind/length of experience with the equivalent Gitzo or RRS product.

There's no way of knowing that though unless the person explicitly states something like "I've used product x and product y and product x works better for me for p, q, and r reasons". But you rarely see a semi-comparative review like that.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:32 PM
adam613
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Two minutes ago I was reading the other thread/post here with the Feisol CT-3442 tripod and ballhead review. And he say this "You won’t miss any shots or functionality by choosing Feisol over a more expensive Gitzo or RRS"

I suspect a lot of the people who write stuff like that have never actually owned and used a Gitzo/RRS tripod. I've owned tripods from Gitzo, Feisol, and PhotoClam...there's no doubt in my mind that Gitzo generally makes a more solid product, and I've seen enough from RRS's tripods to know they're even better than Gitzo, but PhotoClam and Feisol are both good enough for me, so I'm not going to spend the extra money on a Gitzo.

Would I recommend them to someone who regularly shoots with a 500mm lens or who wants to see feather detail on a BIF in a large print? Absolutely not. But if you can afford a 500mm lens, or demand that kind of quality, you can afford a top-of-the-line tripod to put it on

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I also own a Feisol tripod (CT-3441S Rapid ). I'm very pleased with it and I would also recommend it to others. But I don't belive it is as good as RRS/Gitzo tripods. But it also cost less of course.

There is a reason you very often see people here write that their Feisol, Photoclam, Benro, Sirui etc are as good as Gitzo & RRS in everything. But you never see anyone here writing their RRS or Gitzo is as good as Feisol, Photoclam, Benro, Sirui

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:46 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

Just got my pt124 tripod and pc33n head and I am thrilled with the quality of the gear. Weight is fantastic at 2.9lb including the ball head! I am 6'4" and its plenty tall too.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

pizdets17 wrote:
Just got my pt124 tripod and pc33n head and I am thrilled with the quality of the gear. Weight is fantastic at 2.9lb including the ball head! I am 6'4" and its plenty tall too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. You are about 190 cm tall. And the tripod is 132 cm tall. And you say it's plenty tall too

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:12 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

Either the center column is raised, or his eyes are very low on his body

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

With the center column raised and fully extended it's 158 cm. And not stable

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:50 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

Some people have strong backs and can bend over to use a tripod.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:23 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

easy. With center column half way its around 145cm, the ball head and plate add another 10 cm, camera plate and camera body add nother 2-3 cm, making it plenty tall, not really having to do much except look down. BUT the 2.3lb weight is definetly better than the 3lb+ of the 160-170cm tripods out there, and considering my biggest lens is a 100-400 +5d3, I'm good. Did I mention its light and folds up to 18"?

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

pizdets17 wrote:
easy. With center column half way its around 145cm, the ball head and plate add another 10 cm, camera plate and camera body add nother 2-3 cm, making it plenty tall, not really having to do much except look down. BUT the 2.3lb weight is definetly better than the 3lb+ of the 160-170cm tripods out there, and considering my biggest lens is a 100-400 +5d3, I'm good. Did I mention its light and folds up to 18"?

We are all different but for me it would not be a good tripod with a 400mm lens. A raised center column is something you don't like to use with a long tele lens.
This rather small tripod with it's center column extended half way up is not a stable support for a 400mm lens. And even then according to your own specs when raising the center column half way and including plates,camera etc... it's still 33 cm shorter than you. As a travel tripod maybe it's ok. But not as a tripod for long tele lenses. And it's definitely not "plenty tall" like you say.
I'm glad that you like it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:18 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I have an 055xprob if I want a reallt tall, heavy as hell tripod. This is a hobby for me, I don't shoot standing on top of volcanos in 50mph wind.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:07 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I have a PhotoClam PC-48N on a set of Gitzo 1340 series 3 systematic alloy legs and it works well in sub-zero temps for hours.

Another set up is a PhotoClam PC-36N on a set of Manfrotto 055MF3 used for both indoor and outdoor work.

I use Markins plates with a couple of Kirk for lenses that Markins don't fit.

I don't get the shoes with the bubble levels as I don't see a need for them. I can't read them with the camera in the shoe.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:17 AM
pmiller228

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I've been debating this same thing and will probably just splurge on an A-S z1 head.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:31 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

^ I use a Z1 - great ballhead, the best I've personally used. Stay clear of the Arca-Swiss clamps though.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:36 AM
pmiller228

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

Do you mean just the flip lock clamps or the thumb screw ones too? Which clamp do you recommend?

I'll mostly have a gripped d700+ 70-200 vrii mounted for now.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Photo Clam ball head / tripod users?

I have the Z1 with the original screw clamp. And it's great. Nothing wrong with that one. As good as my RRS, Markins or Kirk clamps

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:26 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password