FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

ISO1600 wrote:
after looking at the linked lenses- yeah what do these have to do with the long-rumored and awaited FF NEX?
These are very obviously crop-only lenses.... i mean, i'm eager for a FF NEX as much as the next guy, but....

re: starter FF DSLR market.... naw, i doubt it. This will be another premium product, but still GROSSLY undercut the ONLY other FF mirrorless- the Leica. Even at $3500, it'll probably be a deal, for what it brings to the market.

It may be much less expensive than the Leica M 240, but the Leica will also be a rangefinder coupled camera for Leica M lenses, something that no other FF Mirrorless camera (unless another Leica) may well do in the future. I also doubt that the Sony will be built to the Leica standards. I will be watching for both cameras myself.

Rich

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:18 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Dudewithoutape wrote:
While I'm not going to contest whether a FF NEX is on the way or not, I'm not sure how 2 new E-mount lenses (clearly APS-C sized) adds any indication to the possibility of a FF NEX coming.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-zeiss-e-mount-full-frame-lens-scheduled-for-a-june-2014-release/

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:19 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I expect it will be a NEX-9 and have a price comparable to the A900 and A99 at launch, so around $3K, probably a bit more. I don't expect $4k.

As to whether or not I'll buy it, on that I'm undecided. I may well do so, but I may instead choose to buy the NEX-7 replacement and stay APS-C. A lot depends on available lenses and adapters. If it plays well with SLR adapters it's likely on the to-buy list, if not I'll probably stay with the NEX-7 (and the SpeedBooster I'll likely have by that time).

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:19 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

naturephoto1 wrote:
It may be much less expensive than the Leica M 240, but the Leica will also be a rangefinder coupled camera for Leica M lenses, something that no other FF Mirrorless camera (unless another Leica) may well do in the future. I also doubt that the Sony will be built to the Leica standards. I will be watching for both cameras myself.

Rich

this is the important part for me. i don't want or even like rangefinders and i'm not terribly fond of the design of leica's digital cameras. i would much prefer something closer to the NEX-7's size and design (though with better build). a mirrorless camera designed specifically to be used with liveview and an evf.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:40 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Dudewithoutape wrote:
But there's already a FF NEX video camera.....

that's what I was saying....

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:38 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

No Sony will be RF-Coupled, we all know this- but it'll likely have an excellent EVF, showing you a TTL view through those great M lenses.
I think "Not being RF Coupled" is the least of things to complain about.

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:54 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

sebboh wrote:
this is the important part for me. i don't want or even like rangefinders and i'm not terribly fond of the design of leica's digital cameras. i would much prefer something closer to the NEX-7's size and design (though with better build). a mirrorless camera designed specifically to be used with liveview and an evf.

+1, with modern EVF's and focus peaking and magnification, the last thing I want to be tied to is an RF's focus patch and if I'm not tied to that I'd prefer to skip the classic ergonomics as well in favour of something better layed out. Give me a slightly upsized NEX-7 with better build (and grip rubber that stays attached) and I'll be happy ergonomically.

My only real beef with the 7's controls is that the rear control dial is not glove-friendly (the top two do just fine), although I'd like more easily found & actuated buttons on a 9-series body.

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:03 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

The new Nex systems may not be up to the quality of Leica but who cares if it comes with Zeiss AF lenses!

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

mawz wrote:
+1, with modern EVF's and focus peaking and magnification, the last thing I want to be tied to is an RF's focus patch and if I'm not tied to that I'd prefer to skip the classic ergonomics as well in favour of something better layed out. Give me a slightly upsized NEX-7 with better build (and grip rubber that stays attached) and I'll be happy ergonomically.

My only real beef with the 7's controls is that the rear control dial is not glove-friendly (the top two do just fine), although I'd like more easily found & actuated buttons on a
...Show more

As long as we're making a wish list, I want SteadyShot. Actually, I really want Oly's new IBIS and programability, but I'd settle for SteadyShot.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

freaklikeme wrote:
As long as we're making a wish list, I want SteadyShot. Actually, I really want Oly's new IBIS and programability, but I'd settle for SteadyShot.

+1

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:36 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I wouldn't pay 3-4K for a FF mirrorless. I think it would have to compete with a Canon 6D in terms of pricing so around 2K max and probably less because it's a much simpler device. But what do I know about marketing, zip. On the other hand if they were in the 1.5K range then we'd probably all hurt ourselves in the stampede to buy one.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:45 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

I'd want it to be well made and (might be pushing it from Sony) well thought out. For the former, I don't think you could expect such a package at $2K.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:50 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

'might be pushing it from Sony' - evidence?

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:22 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

philip_pj wrote:

Sony cameras.

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:54 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

philip_pj wrote:

The NEX-7's peeling grip is an example that I have experienced myself.
I'm sure they could elevate their build quality, but will they?

I would buy at $2000 body only, any more than that and it had better have a killer IBIS system, and weather sealing.
My wish list is:
Good corner performance with RF wide angle lenses,
Better build quality,
More button mapping,
Useable exposure bracketing with a remote and/or timer,
More peaking adjustments,

Zooming in to focus to use a smaller box within a box, I want to be able to see my framing, 2 ways to do this:
1) a smaller "Zoomed in" box covering 50% of the screen, the rest is what the sensor captures.
2)The zoomed in screen is like before, but add a small box (10-20 % of the screen[different size options]) that shows the whole frame.

There are rumors that Sony is close to releasing 'NEW' sensor technology, I can't wait to see what they come up with.(multilayer Foveon? organic?)

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:16 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

hahahahhahahhaha sick burnnnnnnn

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

- I laugh at people how are dreaming of the FF NEX. I mean, who wouldn't love a FF NEX-7 style body with advanced EVF and AF Zeiss primes right?

But here's the reality folks.

I've ditched my m43's system twice to go to the NEX and there simply isn't the natively supported lens base yet - and this is two YEARS after launch! There's ONE Zeiss lens that's worth the camera / sensor and NO worthy zooms - I've tried them all. I've resolved to stick with camera systems that actually have good lenses on the market today and let the dreamers dream!

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:37 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

The native lens system, IMO, is the least of what most of "us" (those dreaming for a FF NEX) are worried about.
I personally am not concerned in the least about native lens support for a FF mirrorless.... because with the super short register distance, and a FF sensor.... EVERYTHING becomes "native".
I think M glass will be the biggest thing people want to use on a FF NEX.

The problem that the NEX system has right now is due to it being a crop system. Sony has most of the consumer crop zooms covered, and I don't think they should waste their time on pro crop lenses, ESPECIALLY if they have a FF on the horizon.

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:42 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

ISO1600 wrote:
No Sony will be RF-Coupled, we all know this- but it'll likely have an excellent EVF, showing you a TTL view through those great M lenses.
I think "Not being RF Coupled" is the least of things to complain about.

I am not complaining. I am just indicating that this is one of the major reasons for the high price of the Leica M 240 along with their limited production, hand building, quality and quality control, etc.

Rich

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:46 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nex / Zeiss FF lenses and Camera E-Mount

Vern Dewit wrote:
- I laugh at people how are dreaming of the FF NEX. I mean, who wouldn't love a FF NEX-7 style body with advanced EVF and AF Zeiss primes right?

But here's the reality folks.

I've ditched my m43's system twice to go to the NEX and there simply isn't the natively supported lens base yet - and this is two YEARS after launch! There's ONE Zeiss lens that's worth the camera / sensor and NO worthy zooms - I've tried them all. I've resolved to stick with camera systems that actually have good lenses on the market today and
...Show more

There isn't?

Not true anymore. While you don't yet have the wide selection, the lens system is there. The 10-18 certainly is worthy, as good as Oly's 9-18 if not quite up to the Panasonic 7-14 in range or performance, and the 16-50 and 18-55 both compare favourably to the similar m4/3 lenses, as does the 55-210, although Oly's 40-150 is a gem, Panasonic's offerings in that range are behind the 55-210 in performance. The 16 is vastly underrated (although not nearly as good as the Oly 12/2, it's comparable in performance with many lenses we're satisfied shooting as long as you get a decent copy), there's a 20 coming which should be at least as good as the 14/2.5 and the Sigma 19 already beats the 14/2.5 silly, the Zeiss 24 stomps all over the available 17mm offerings in m4/3, the new 35/1.8 OSS is quite good, if again not quite the gem the PL 25/1.4 is, and there's also the excellent Sigma 30 for next to nothing in cost, both E mount offerings here are better than the Panny 20/1.7. The 50 OSS is excellent and unmatched in the m4/3 system. Sony lacks an equivalent to the 45's though and we'll have to wait a few months for their answer to the 75/1.8 (in the 85/1.8 OSS).

Realistically, all Sony lacks now in equivalents is answers to the 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8's and a really good macro comparable to the 60 (and m4/3rds doesn't offer a consumer macro comparable to the Sony 30/3.5 on the other hand), a nice short. And given that Sony offers a complete SLT line, we aren't likely to see the f2.8's as if you really need something along those lines an A77 or A99 with the appropriate f2.8 zooms will do even better. And Sony has the advantage of offering real AF performance with adapted SLR lenses, so if you really need a good AF telezoom you can choose the 70-400 with A77-level AF performance via an LA-EA2, a significant advantage over the Panasonic 100-300 in performance (For a comparable offering you'd need an adapted 4/3rds Oly 90-250 at twice the cost of the Sony 70-400 and without the AF performance)

Pick the system you prefer, the m43 system is excellent and if it works well for you I'd stick to it. But lens lineup is not really a reason to pick either system unless there's a particular lens you really want/need. For me that's the ZA 24, for others it may be something else, say the PL25/1.4.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.