Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Absolutely, the ZE and ZM are completely different lenses. On the M9, it is ridiculously sharp across the frame and no CA whatsoever.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:17 AM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

edwardkaraa wrote:
Absolutely, the ZE and ZM are completely different lenses. On the M9, it is ridiculously sharp across the frame and no CA whatsoever.

Don't tell me that! I keep telling myself that he ZM25 is plenty wide for me.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:45 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

To echo other posters, the M mount version is different optical design: the SLR version is 13 elements in 11 groups and the M version is 10 elements in 8 groups.

The ZM18 is one of my favorite wide angles on the Sony NEX, it has that bold contrasty "Zeiss" signature. If you look at the MTF chart of the ZM18, it is very good wide open @ F4 all the way to the APS-C corners. Unfortunately, on a full frame, it is too wide for me.

Larger

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

AmbientMike wrote:
I lost interest in this lens after looking at images shot with it posted on photozone

Clearly no one needs to change your mind, but as with any lens, it takes the right application to make it shine, even the ZF18. Take a look at the photos by member donuss.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

CVickery wrote:
Don't tell me that! I keep telling myself that he ZM25 is plenty wide for me.

That's what I think as well. The ZM 18 is my least used lens because I rarely feel the need for such an ultra wide angle. But every time I use it, it produces spectacular results.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

I have always envied the ZM18 results on the NEX. I'm sure it will be just as good on any mirrorless system.

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

The problem is M performance on NEX is not the same as on the Fuji. My ZM 25 which is very good on the NEX 5N decided to do poorly on the XE-1. That goes too for the 35 summarit. I recall someone posted shots with Voigt 15 and that didn't go well either..

So..just stick to Fuji lenses for the XE-1. The 35, 18-88 and 14 are superb. No reasons at all for M lenses below and 35 mm.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:32 PM
timpdx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Is the ZE that bad? I am strongly considering this lens, because I want something in that FL, covered from 24 on up. Didn't care for the Tokina 17. Also could do a zoom like the Tokina 16-28 which is excellent or the Canon 17-40 which is so-so. If the ZE can't beat either of those, than maybe I should drop it from consideration.

ZE 21 is too close to what I have now, too.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Look up user donuss. He has made lots of nice shots with this lens. It isn't as strong as the 21, but with some attention it delivers nice images.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:42 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

For use on the Fujifilm cameras, you want to try before you buy or find someone whose work with the lens you can check out. I'd be concerned about smeared edge detail and worse corners with the ZM18 on any of the Fujifilm X cams.

On NEX-5N and 6, it does pretty well.

On Ricoh GXR/M, it does fantastic.

I've never used it on a full frame digital camera and rarely used it with film as I did not own a finder for it.

Made with the ZM18 on the GXR, this slightly cropped snapshot had/has good detail right to the edges.

I've recently sold mine because I'm not expecting to ever see from anyone other than Leica a full frame mirrorless camera that works well with M wides and ultrawides except by accident, and, if such an accident should occur down the road, I can always rebuy it.

For a M-240 it'll probably be a great performer.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

speaking of FM contributers with quality 18mm Zeiss work, if you are considering the ZM 18 distagon I urge you to look up NateVenture and check his work with that lens.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:48 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Isn't Nate's handle TWoK?

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

carstenw wrote:
Isn't Nate's handle TWoK?

Yes it is.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:46 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

'I lost interest in this lens after looking at images shot with it posted on photozone'

hahahahahahaha. I sometimes wonder how many lens purchases never got made due to the 'lens graveyards' aka the test websites, dpr, pz et al. Can anyone make worse photographs outside of a brick wall? - and that is being unkind to brick walls some of which are attractive. I just hope their application to da measurements are of better quality than the images, how could they be any worse?

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:25 AM
fracas
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

frezeiss wrote:
The problem is M performance on NEX is not the same as on the Fuji. My ZM 25 which is very good on the NEX 5N decided to do poorly on the XE-1. That goes too for the 35 summarit. I recall someone posted shots with Voigt 15 and that didn't go well either..

So..just stick to Fuji lenses for the XE-1. The 35, 18-88 and 14 are superb. No reasons at all for M lenses below and 35 mm.

Why don't RF lenses perform well on Fuji? I thought taht RF wideangles had corner problems with NEXs but not with Fuji. Isn't it true?
Thanks, francesco

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 05:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:38 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

The 18/3.5 is probably a good lens but I didn't think it was enough better than what I had to warrant a purchase. Pretty much any good lenses can take good photos.

I would say the Leica mount would be preferable, otherwise you will probably need an adapter with perfect sensor to flange distance or performance will suffer on ff.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

fracas wrote:
Why don't RF lenses perform well on Fuji? I thought taht RF wodeangles had corner problems with NEXs but not with Fuji. Isn't it true?
Thanks, francesco

Their thick filter stack causes heavier smearing effects due to refraction

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:41 AM
fracas
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

You mean the IR filter? are there other filters?
do the smearing effects happen also with Fuji native lenses or with retrrofocus design lenses?
thanks, francesco

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:55 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

Francesco: Fuji designed their own lenses differently to work with the sensor reducing the angle of light that hit the sensor and Fuji explain it themselves, articles can be found on the web. The 18mm seems to still suffer a little smearing. The 14mm seems to do better and looks like a great lens for the Fuji system.

Non Fuji retrofocus wide lenses does not do as well on the X-series. I am not sure if they have improved the XE-1 sensor in any way, judging from Freezeiss posting it seems to be the same.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:58 AM
fracas
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Zeiss 18mm Distagon Lens

thanks kosmoskatten
so I understand that it is better to stay stick to Sony NEX if one wants to use top notch Leica/Zeiss lenses, isn't it?

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:57 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password