Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · 600 II Footsies

cglatzer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 600 II Footsies

The Wimberley AP-602 foot has the lowest profile. It works on my older 600, I will see if it fits on the new one arriving on Thursday. BTW- my 600IS (9+) is FS in the Classified forum, wink.

Chas

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:06 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 600 II Footsies

cglatzer wrote:
The Wimberley AP-602 foot has the lowest profile. It works on my older 600, I will see if it fits on the new one arriving on Thursday. BTW- my 600IS (9+) is FS in the Classified forum, wink.

Chas

Which also means that AP-602 makes the poorest lens handle of them all.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:14 PM
cglatzer

p.2 #3 · 600 II Footsies

PetKal wrote:
Which also means that AP-602 makes the poorest lens handle of them all.

And, the best fitting in your camera case. Life is full of compromise :~)

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:01 PM
StevenM

p.2 #4 · 600 II Footsies

I just received an advanced copy of the new Naturescapes Foot for the 600mm version II, the CLF-460. I really like that it rides about 1/4" lower than the RRS foot which should help with some of the torquing issues described by PetKal. I had no problem attaching the reversed lens hood with the foot attached. You can contact Greg Downing at greg@naturescapes.net if you are interested in pre-ordering one and they should be available in about 30 days at $109. BTW, he is looking for someone to test the foot on the 400mm f/2.8 version II and the 500mm f/4 version II so please contact him if you are interested. I've attached some photos below.

Steve

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:33 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #5 · 600 II Footsies

Is it possible to test with a sidemount like the Mongoose 3.6?

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · 600 II Footsies

StevenM wrote:
I just received an advanced copy of the new Naturescapes Foot for the 600mm version II, the CLF-460. I really like that it rides about 1/4" lower than the RRS foot which should help with some of the torquing issues described by PetKal.

That is good, because the RRS foot is needlessly high, in fact, the height should be just enough to clear the (Lenscoated) hood when reverse mounted.

I am thinking of getting someone to machine a shim for me, in order to raise the CP-61B foot by 1/4" or so, because there seems to be enough clearance left inside the reverse mounted hood for that.
If the shim would allow me to use the foot as a convenient handle as well, that would be a win-win situation, very much like the 4th Gen. Designs replacement foot for 800L (CR-80), which is just all-around right for me .

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.2 #7 · 600 II Footsies

Peter - good idea about the shim why don't you call the 4th Generation to see if that base on the CR-X will work with the CP-61B?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM
cglatzer

p.2 #8 · 600 II Footsies

I just switched 4th Generation lens foot off my 600IS to the new 600IS II, and it is a perfect fit with the OEM supplied screws. There is room to slide the plate in the Wimberley head for balancing with both converters. Just make sure as always you have the small stop screws in place so that the foot cannot slide through the Quick Release unintentionally.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM
cglatzer

p.2 #9 · 600 II Footsies

The Naturescapes and RRS lens foot being above the hood when collapsed is going to take up valuable space in an already tight camera bag. The 4th Gen foot fits under the lens hood and sits lower on the lens.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · 600 II Footsies

Here's a bit of an update on 4th gen Designs CP-61B foot on 600 II, used handheld.
The low profile foot has resulted in a nice improvement in lens control (handholding), as expected.
Unfortunately, inability to use the foot as a handle is turning out to be a real pain, particularly now in winter when one has to wear gloves.

The lens strap remains the only positive, although not rigid, feature for picking the lens up, moving it about, etc. That is not only inconvenient, but it also increases the chances of droping the lens accidentally, banging it around, etc.

Therefore, I am still on the fence about an all around best solution here.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 02:43 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Angry
• • •
p.2 #11 · 600 II Footsies

Surely you can get someone to machine up a bespoke spacer to go between the mount & the foot,...should be able to make one exactley to your requirements...

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:30 AM
godfather
• • •
p.2 #12 · 600 II Footsies

cglatzer wrote:
The Naturescapes and RRS lens foot being above the hood when collapsed is going to take up valuable space in an already tight camera bag. The 4th Gen foot fits under the lens hood and sits lower on the lens.

I thought Greg was going to introduce two different models, one being shorter...

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:38 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · 600 II Footsies

Angry wrote:
Surely you can get someone to machine up a bespoke spacer to go between the mount & the foot,...should be able to make one exactley to your requirements...

That looks like the only way to make the foot functional as a short term handle.

I must also mention again that if you use your 600 II on a pod, or if you rotate the foot to the side when handholding the lens, and support it by its barrel directly, then I think your best bet would be the RRS foot developed specifically for 400/500/600 II lenses.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Angry
• • •
p.2 #14 · 600 II Footsies

A small spacer may only need to be 10mm/ 1/2 " ....spacer would be easy to make .

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:54 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #15 · 600 II Footsies

cglatzer wrote:

Chas

A friend has this foot attached to his 600mm IS II.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:02 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #16 · 600 II Footsies

StevenM wrote:
I just received an advanced copy of the new Naturescapes Foot for the 600mm version II, the CLF-460. I really like that it rides about 1/4" lower than the RRS foot which should help with some of the torquing issues described by PetKal. I had no problem attaching the reversed lens hood with the foot attached. You can contact Greg Downing at greg@naturescapes.net if you are interested in pre-ordering one and they should be available in about 30 days at $109. BTW, he is looking for someone to test the foot on the 400mm f/2.8 version II and the 500mm
...Show more
Steve does the NSN foot have a monopod screw in hole?

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:04 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #17 · 600 II Footsies

Not to derail the current conversation, but what would be a good choice for use with a 600mm rental? I'm thinking a lens plate would be better than a whole foot in this case.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:16 AM
StevenM

p.2 #18 · 600 II Footsies

dolina wrote:
Steve does the NSN foot have a monopod screw in hole?

Yes, note the threaded hole in my picture above but I'd highly recommend a monopod head versus mounting the lens directly on your monopod.

Steve

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:58 AM
StevenM

p.2 #19 · 600 II Footsies

godfather wrote:
I thought Greg was going to introduce two different models, one being shorter...

More about the NSN foot at the end of the second page of this thread:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=228250&start=20

Steve

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:09 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.2 #20 · 600 II Footsies

Just got the 4th Generation CRX-5 variable plate and really like it. It is a little lower than the naturescapes or RRS foot. It has 6 variable slots and I have it in the 5th from the front because I use a 1.4 a lot and so this gives me the best weight distribution. If I had the plate all the way extended it would probably interfere with the hood when reversed. Overall very stable even with the adjustability. With my lady hands it could still be a bit lower for optimal handholding, but guys might fare better and it is lower than the most I have seen. It would be great if John at 4th generation offered a variable option on the height so it might be a bit easier for people with small hands to handhold. I feel a bit like goldilocks with this plate is too tall and this plate is too close, but this one is pretty close for me.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password