Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sure, if I got a wedding to shoot this weeked it is what I'd use.
I feel like I'd be more prepared to shoot an available-light wedding with the 6D than any DSLR before it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:58 PM
mikegrados
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Oldraven wrote:
My hotshoe does activate via remote shutter release. I sometimes have just a transceiver in the camera hotshoe, and other times have a flash mounted in the transceiver hotshoe (with the transceiver in the camera hotshoe) in addition to other remote flashes. In all cases everything fires as it should when the remote shutter release is pressed. Once I make sure that groups & channels are in sync throughout the system it's a glitch free setup.

Thanks for the reply, I'll dig around a bit more and see what I might be missing. It's just strange since the only difference is whether the shutter is released remotely (doesn't fire), or manually (does fire) without any changes being made between them. I love digging, so I'll report back...

About the shutter lag...I can say this: when I had to jump back to my 5Dc for a shoot because I needed the L-bracket set up (waiting to get one for the 6D), the difference was quite noticable. Further, the sound...wa-pup vs. KA-CHUCK.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:29 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I mostly shoot musicians and dancers--NYC nightlife kind of stuff. I sold my 5Dmkii and a couple things I wasn't using to get the 6D, primarily for the low-light AF and secondarily for the "silent" mode and the slightly better high ISO performance.

The AF center point is *much* better in low light--I'd say the AF is close to two stops more sensitive than that of the mkii, so that focus-lock is relatively reliable even in ISO12800 situations. It also seems to be more accurate generally under all conditions. (Weirdly, however, it subjectively seems to be a *hair* slower at focus lock than the mkii under normal lighting, almost as if there were some extra step involved.)

The additional low-light ISO performance is better than the mkii. When I look at the RAW comparisons at dpreview etc. I estimate that it's about a half-step better than the mkii at ISO6400 and 12800 at detail resolution in the highlight to middle range. However the improvement in shadows appears to be greater than 1/2 stop, and subjectively my ISO6400 and 12800 shots are more improved over the mkii than I expected.

Shutter lag is improved and the silent mode, while not silent, is much quieter than the mkii.

The wifi is good for popping up something to Facebook, but note that it downconverts to an "appropriate" size and quality jpeg that I find to be really muddy compared to my standard Lightroom upload settings for FB (max quality jpeg at 1600xXXXX pixels).

Just to be clear, I think the 5Dmkii is an amazing bargain right now, especially used. For general purposes I think it's fantastic.

However, for my specific purposes the improvements over the 5dmkII are well worth the $700 I spent to upgrade, I'm very satisfied.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

If you want to do video and don't need the AF and fps of the more expensive cams well the 6D is NOT a less expensive way to do it!

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12563.0

stick with the 5D3 for video
(unless maybe you only do super planned out studio shoots or something and are willing to live with any remaining issues, but even then the 5D2 video is actually better, and can be had for even less cost, than the 6D video which is really quite a wreck from all the samples I am seeing)

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:47 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Not a user here, just a trier.

A couple of impressions/observations which I don't think have been covered (well, not much):

* AF is much faster and more accurate than the 5D II even with the peripheral AF points.
* The grip is a little uncomfortable, comparable to that on the 60D - not a huge deal unless you're going to put bigger and heavier lenses on it (70-200 F/2.8 or 100-400 IS and larger; possibly even a 24-70 F/2.8 for extended hand-held shoots).

Recent 5Ds (marks II and III) are much more comfortable to hold with longer/heavier lenses, 1D series even better.

Interestingly, Nikon did a similar "grip comfort" differentiation between D600 and D800.

Just some observations.

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:13 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

skibum5 wrote:
If you want to do video and don't need the AF and fps of the more expensive cams well the 6D is NOT a less expensive way to do it!

(unless maybe you only do super planned out studio shoots or something and are willing to live with any remaining issues, but even then the 5D2 video is actually better, and can be had for even less cost, than the 6D video which is really quite a wreck from all the samples I am seeing)

Agreed that sample was bad and not the first one I've seen. I wonder if this issue might be addressed through a future firmware update? Just speculating.

On a related note I went by my local shop yesterday to again try the 6D 'in hand' (this, after previously ruling it out due to ergonomics....never say never! )

Anyway, the demo had a 24-105 affixed and I brought along my 40mm to shoot some low light tests in the shop's gallery room (with lights out). I shot raw and I'm waiting for the manager to upload the samples so I can look at them more closely (their SD card, I only have CF). My one observation is how incredibly quickly/accurately the centre point locked focus in near nil light. This was wide open at f/4 and then at f/2.8 on the pancake. From memory I was shooting at 12,000+ ISO, and there honestly didn't seems to be a corner of the room that was too big a challenge for AF.

It was only half an hour but by the end of my time the button layout and menus were starting to make a bit more sense. If any one high ISO sample is compelling enough I will share.

Right now I'm 'between cameras', making do with my daughter's 20D so my resolve might be deteriorating faster than I thought. More to follow...

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:53 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I've used a lot of cameras from both CaNikon, and find the 6D among the most comfortable to hold. I have somewhat large hands (I'm 6'2"). D700 was also excellent.

re: Noise compared to 5DII- based on my limited experience with a 5DII, i feel the 6D is at least a full stop better in noise performance, if not better. This is in similarly-setup in-camera jpgs.

'coarse, I know how most of the FM populus feels about jpgs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:41 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

skibum5 wrote:

Since the OP ended up buying the 5D3, it would have been of great benefit to see that same bit of town/roofs shot with the 5D3 also, so all could see the actual difference between the two bodies. I've seen other videos from the 6D that look morie free and are quite good at 12,800 iso, and others where morie seems extremely nasty.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix the issue, or a filter produced like the one some use on the D800/800e to fix it's morie issues.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:21 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Just an update on the RRS L-bracket for the 6D:

I actually decided to go with the L-bracket for the 6D w/ grip. I ultimately figured that if I didn't like it, I'd return it and then go with the non-gripped version and then swap when going on the tripod.

Well, the gripped version feels fine underhand - when holding in portrait orientation. The rounded edges don't bite into my palm, they actually feel nice. Basically, I can envision leaving the bracket on even when shooting free hand...it doesn't get in the way.

Oh, and the fit to the body is spot on.

Hope this helps anyone considering it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Another L-Bracket comment. My RRS L-bracket for my 5Dc fits my 6D! Oh, la, la, was that a nice surprise. I'm getting the grip too, so now I don't have to shell out for two new L-Brackets. It is just a little bit wider than the camera body. But not $145 too wide. If anyone wants a photo, just let me know.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I want a photo :-)

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Keith Broad
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I've had the 6D for two weeks or so, and I must say it has been a much better experience than I expected. My alternative body is a 1DsMkIII, but it is too heavy to lug around when I travel. Overall, I have found the 6D body to be very responsive and very able to match the 1Ds' low ISO files. The AF is much better than I expected, but the missing joystick is a bit of annoyance. I wonder if there will be a firmware update for that All I can say is the 6D does the job and that I may be tempted to use the 1Ds as a backup.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Sounds great :-)

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:12 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

Went on a little 850+ mile (round trip) drive this weekend, to hit a Monahans Sandhills State Park and Big Bend National Park (both in TX).
Took my 6D, Tokina 17, 28-105 USM, 50/1.8 II, and Tamron 500/8.
90% of my keepers are from the Tokina 17, I am really liking this lens.

IMG_3116 by Chris.jpg, on Flickr

IMG_3307 by Chris.jpg, on Flickr

IMG_3109 by Chris.jpg, on Flickr

I love this camera.
Interestingly though- at some point my camera's body developed a "squeak" of some sort. Sounds like the top cover and the front cover are flexing or something. Just grabbing it kinda tight can cause it to make the noise.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:11 AM
pixelpix
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I am loving the 6D. It's a comfortable camera to use with very clean files and heaps of DR...

http://www.australianlight.com.au/galleries/latest_releases/currumbin_twilight_2013/

http://www.australianlight.com.au/galleries/latest_releases/a_daze_end/

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 03:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:23 AM
e.aland
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

outlawyer wrote:
Reference is made to this thread:
6D- Early Impressions thread (for early adopters?)
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1172848/0?keyword=6d,impressions#11179739

What do y'all 6d owners think of it after a little time? Honeymoon still going strong?

Thanks in advance, cause I'm really interested in what 6D owners say. Is the (relatively) smaller size/weight noticeable from, say, a 5D? Is the 97% VF noticeable? Anything. The camera has a hook in me, looks great for my shooting (landscape, stills).
Basically want to hear trusted synopses about how good it is

my long term experience:
1. it is always with me
2. overall IQ is excellent
3. i am having iso8000 and iso10000 photos now in my collection

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:11 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

verbiage wrote:
* AF is much faster and more accurate than the 5D II even with the peripheral AF points.

Interesting! Can anyone else confirm this?

I haven't seen any 'professional' reviews stating that the non x-type points have been improved.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

haha what is a "professional" review? Somebody getting paid by Canon? Or somebody getting a loaner from Canon?

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

ISO1600 wrote:
haha what is a "professional" review? Somebody getting paid by Canon? Or somebody getting a loaner from Canon?

A review from a known professional photographer or credible camera-site, like Photozone, Imaging-resource, DP-review, Cameralabs, e.t.c.. Just something other than "random forum posts" from new and happy owners. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the forum posters are unprofessional / lying, but some times they tend to report things that you never see or hear about from the bigger and more extensive reviews.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 6D Owners' Longer-term Impressions?

I've had mine since Jan. 1st and am loving every minute with it. I've actually gotten a lot more use out of the wifi and gps than I thought. The gps has been wonderful because I often just go on drives to find new landscapes to shoot and most of the time have no idea where I am. It's cool to go home and look at the gps data in lightroom and figure out where and what I was shooting.

The ISO performance blows my mind. I had a 5D2 for a few months before trading it in for a 6D, before that I had a 60D. It blows the 60D out of the water and kills the 5D2 imo.

I do wish it had a max shutter speed of 1/8000th as well as a faster FPS, but I plan to most likely buy the 7D2 when it comes out for my action stuff. Right now I'm still using my 60D for a lot of that.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.