Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Ganing credientals

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Ganing credientals

matt.garnett wrote:
And also, if you can see what the press passes look like just make yourself something along those lines, act like you're supposed to be there, and don't get in anyone's way. For smaller games/teams whatever, the event staff most likely won't take a second look, or even care.

Wow

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:34 AM
capitalK
• • •
p.2 #2 · Ganing credientals

There are many reasons someone may create fake credentials. It could be a hobbyist looking for better access but it could also be someone an obsessed fan trying to get closer access to the athletes all the way up to someone trying to carry out a terrorist attack (the media entrance rarely has the metal detectors and security rarely checks my bag).

It sounds far-fetched but it could happen. I'd like to think if I ever saw a suspicious credential that I would make security aware of it immediately.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:28 PM
mkchang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Ganing credientals

matt.garnett wrote:
And also, if you can see what the press passes look like just make yourself something along those lines, act like you're supposed to be there, and don't get in anyone's way. For smaller games/teams whatever, the event staff most likely won't take a second look, or even care.

HORRIBLE idea, especially coming from a Editor in chief.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Ganing credientals

It is not just the fact that you might be able to sneak in. It is just the wrong way to do it and can hurt everyone who is legitimately there to work. I have seen a minor league team go from letting anyone with media credentials (provided by newspaper/magazine, magazines, milb, and other outlets) in just by signing in, to issuing official credentials, to limiting the amount of credentials issued, to only allowing MLB Photos, MiLB photographers, and a local newspaper in, because so many people were abusing the lax credential deal.

Minor League Baseball has rules that go along with MLB and MLBPA. When Media either apply for or accept their credentials, it typically goes through a photo editor or client and they typically have to sign something that states the photos taken by photographer XXXXXX are for the wire service, magazine, newspaper, etc. That gives the organization issuing the credentials a sense of control of who is taking photos and why.

With minor league baseball, unless a major big leaguer is doing a rehab assignment, there probably will not be that many media there, and most likely the media relations person will know all of them. At the University of Colorado, the media guy goes around before the game talking to tall the photographers, introducing himself to new shooters and asking who they are.

I still strongly suggest, that since you are in high school, have your yearbook advisor, newspaper advisor, counselor, or even your principal contact the media person for the team you want to shoot. You may get an internship, or they may be willing to let you shadow their team photographer, or they could give you free reign. Or they might say no.

You are 16. When I was 16 I had just picked up a camera and the biggest thing I had shot beyond my high school was a NBA player who had graduated from my high school at a practice. But I had shot the whole season of my team (recovering from blown out knees) and into the state tournament. While at the state tournament, I met the local big shooters from newspapers, AP, and sports magazines in the area. They helped open doors for me over the next couple years as I headed into college, where I started shooting college sports and eventually worked my way in to Minor Leagues and Pro Leagues. So be patient. Look at other avenues. Maybe instead of shooting the Minors, you shoot American Legion, or little league for the next couple years. Get into college, start shooting for your college paper, SID, or other departments and you will see more doors open and understand the business more.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.2 #5 · Ganing credientals

The other thing to consider is what you expect to gain from obtaining credentials. Is it access to the locker room or the dugout or is simply to get in for free? The minor league games and spring training games that I've been to have had great access to the players and even seating at the level of the playing field. It might require a little longer glass shooting from these areas, but that is good practice anyway.

Similarly, at Watkins Glen, you can take great shots from the areas that are available to the public. You have access to the paddock and infield and often times even the pits when it's not during a race.

All of the advice you've received here (except for faked credentials) has been great, but consider what you can accomplish even without the credentials.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Ganing credientals

Times are different now but age wasn't a real handicap for Neil Leifer....

"As a boy in New York City, Leifer would gain free admission to New York Giants games by pushing the wheelchairs of handicapped patrons into the stadium. Using his free ticket and a camera, he would then position himself on the field with the photographers. Leifer gained free admission to the 1958 NFL title game between the Giants and Baltimore Colts. This game became famous as the first overtime game in league history. Leifer, on his sixteenth birthday, caught several images of the game winning touchdown which he sold to Sports Illustrated. Sports Illustrated's editors liked Leifer's work and he quickly became a boy wonder at the magazine. He had his first cover shot in 1962 at age 19."

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Ganing credientals

I said it before and I'll say it again.
The best way to get credentials, is to be a working photographer.
That way your editor, or assignment liaison can get them for you.

But if you must, cold call or email, to be honest if I was the AD or MR guy,
I would give creds to someone your age before someone older.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Ganing credientals

It is a different age. I remember going to Sonics games in the Kingdome with my old Minolta kit that I had spent a lot of money on. 9000, 7000i, 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8 (minolta's was NOT cheap as the Canon EF) and shooting the Bulls and Sonics from the 8th row. No one said a thing. Took my kit to Mariner games. I shot these as a fan, and honestly, can not do anything with them because they were not photographed with the approval of NBA or MLB, but I could use them for photo class in college, and for my portfolio (I would not use any of these in a portfolio now). Back in the 70's Michael Zagaris scammed his way into becoming the team photographer for the 49er's and for the A's. Brad Mangin use to take his gear to Giant's games and get as close as he could and those shots ended up getting him set up as one of MLB's and SI's top freelancers. But, for what those guys did in their day, we can not get away with today. Back in the film days, if you bought a camera, 400 2.8 lens, and more, you were serious about photography. Most pro shooters were using Nikon F3's and F4's, EOS-1's and 9000's in the late 80's, and we dreamed of the 400 2.8's or even 80-200 2.8's. Most people who were hobbyists back then would shoot with Nikon 8008's, or Minolta 5000i's, or Canon 650's, and used 70-300 4.5-5.6 lenses and were happy. Maybe spend a few hundred on a 500mm f8 cat lens. But today, everyone has a 7D, a 1D or a D3/4, and U see more parents with glass I want than I can afford right now.

Everyone has a camera and when everyone brings their cameras to the big events, problems happen, from people dropping gear, injuring other fans with that huge lens hood, people spilling beer or soda on you and your gear, gear getting stolen, etc. And trying to control the use of images, forget it. That is why you see on tickets, or websites for teams or venues, "No Cameras" or "No Cameras with removable lenses" or "No Cameras with Lenses Longer than 3 Inches"

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, a sports card shop owner use to buy a ticket to all the sports events, go early and take photos of the players signing autographs, and warming up. He would print out 8x10's, then try and get them signed, and then sell them in his shop. Upper Deck found out he was selling Randy Johnson photos that were not authentic Upper Deck photos, and suddenly, he not only stopped getting new boxes of Upper Deck cards, but his prices went up because he was fined by Upper Deck and was sued by MLB Players Association for making money off the copyrighted likeness of one of their players without MLBPA getting their cut. He just did not see why he had to spend the $20-$25 for a picture he was going to sell for $50, when he could take the photos himself, get them printed, sell them for $5-$10 less than the UD pictures, but make more profit. He thought he was cutting out the middle man, but he was cutting his own throat. Within a year of UD dropping his store, he went out of business and no other card shop would hire him for anything.

Back when Leifer was getting started, there were not the alphabet of wire services that there are today. Photographers were usually all freelance except for a few staffers for newspapers and magazines, but photographers would do what they could to get the shot, then rush to get them developed and to the paper the fastest to try and sell them first. It is kind of the same now. With about 5 minutes left before halftime at NCAA games, I will make a break to the media room to get my stuff on the wire before the other wire shooters do, hoping to get picked up by someone before they do.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:25 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #9 · Ganing credientals

That is exactly why I would like to try and get credentials over going as a fan. So I don't start making a bad name for myself. Not that I plan to sell any photos or anything, but If I get credentials, I can possibly get in the photographers area. And with that I can probably get better shots. With better shots, I can actually start making a small career out of my photography. If I get a great shot from the stands as a fan(if they will even allow me in with my camera) I can't do anyhting with it. I can't sell it to a paper or anything. It could go in my portofolio and I could work my way to getting credentials, but I'd rather try and get credentials right away if I cna. It will require some work on my part and a lot of my time, but I'm more than willing to do that. Plus it is nice to know that I can actually get credentials.

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:46 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #10 · Ganing credientals

The best place is to contact your high school

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 08:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Ganing credientals

I will add in too. Rack your brain. Think of people you know, or your family knows that would have a contact. Sometimes it might be a person of a person you know that can get you a lead. For me it was an old high school friend that was running a website for the Ducks. We contacted via facebook and ended up helping each other out. He lost his photographer and I was looking to move up from kids sports to college or pro. From there it snowballs, you start talking with other photogs, Media directors and sites. Once in the door the doors open up easier or are more available to open. You just have to make the first contact.
Another avenue I have used, to show you how obscure you can get, was my daughters Orthopedist. She plays soccer and this guy works on all the Seattle sounders and is the team doc. I talked with him and he emailed me the Director of marketing who got me in touch with the right person and sounds good that I will be able to do some trial shooting for them.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:39 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.2 #12 · Ganing credientals

I think you are getting ahead of your self. Your already thinking that you can possibly out shoot people that have done this for a while.

Can you? Sure, but don't think that you'll get sales just like that.

If it boils down to it, shoot from the spectator area and get good shots. Use that in your portfolio and gain more clients. You'll earn more respect that way. Now if you can find a small newspaper to hook up with, work out a deal with them to provide photos for access + some small pay.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Ganing credientals

Ok...that changes everything. Why go to a Minor League game just to get better photos. Your access with High School, Legion, and Little Leagues will be much better than you could get with Minor Leagues, and I can tell you the wire service, when you are ready to start submitting portfolio's could care less what your subject is. USA TODAY Sports Photos, Zuma, Getty, and groups like SportsShooter could care less if you have shots of Pro's, Minors, college, or t-ballers, as long as the photos are exposed and composed correctly and sharp, you are good to go. You are 16. Do not get ahead of your self.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #14 · Ganing credientals

I'm not just going minor league to get minor league. Most of all I'm just going for the extra time in the field, behind the camera. I would like the most experience that I can get while I'm young. I go to every home game that I can possibly go to for my school, every sport. And I've been offered to go with the girls on the bus to away games. I'm starting to get more and more experience and right now that's all I would like. Money is only secondary. Nice, but not needed, I'm 16 I live for free basically. But new gear is good too(especially sports). I'm getting a car over summer, so that's why I'm finally trying to get outside of high school and get more into the field.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.2 #15 · Ganing credientals

Take the advice of others. Take your time, shoot the local sports, it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you make the most of it. Find Legion baseball in the summer, Little league, pick up basketball games, soccer, etc. I've shot 6year olds up to the Pros, while it is nice to shoot college and pro sports I truly enjoy the youth sports the most.

You have better access, can play around with remotes and much more.

If anything all you need to do is shoot, shoot, shoot.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:13 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #16 · Ganing credientals

Geoffrey Bolte wrote:
Take the advice of others. Take your time, shoot the local sports, it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you make the most of it. Find Legion baseball in the summer, Little league, pick up basketball games, soccer, etc. I've shot 6year olds up to the Pros, while it is nice to shoot college and pro sports I truly enjoy the youth sports the most.

You have better access, can play around with remotes and much more.

If anything all you need to do is shoot, shoot, shoot.

This is what I'm aiming to do. Try and load my summer schedule with games as much as I can. Just get out and shoot whatever.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Ganing credientals

gome1122 wrote:
This is what I'm aiming to do. Try and load my summer schedule with games as much as I can. Just get out and shoot whatever.

Then contact local shooters and see if anyone needs help.
Whether they're wire guys that need a grunt or tournament shooters that need another camera.
you're more likely to get work (and paid for that matter) taking that route

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:22 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.2 #18 · Ganing credientals

Maybe there is even some kind of internship available?

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:48 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #19 · Ganing credientals

Rick Denham wrote:
Then contact local shooters and see if anyone needs help.
Whether they're wire guys that need a grunt or tournament shooters that need another camera.
you're more likely to get work (and paid for that matter) taking that route

I'm looking for some. Both sport and studio photographers to work with.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:55 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.2 #20 · Ganing credientals

I worked for a Triple-A team in 2012 and I remember my boss always letting this young kid with a point and shoot camera get a photo credential at least once or twice a month to help start something for his portfolio.

Don't contact the GM, just contact the Media Relations Manager for the team. They handle that stuff.

I currently do stuff like this now to help fill my portfolio with sports outside of baseball. I contact colleges and ask to shoot for them in exchange for the images, and it has gotten me a few gigs so far, so it's worth a try if you really want to build a good portfolio. Just work hard and have a nice website that showcases your best work. It can bring you to the top eventually.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password