Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 50D or 7D?

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 50D or 7D?

dafoosballking wrote:
I wish! The 7d take to much of the budget. For my limited baseball shots, the 50d will probably be fine. Debating between a 24-105 or an 18-135 stm/70-300 combo.

I don't see the point in going for 24-105L if the budget is so limited. Honestly it is not even as sharp as my Tamrons were. I'd just get the tamron or, if you really want more range, then the canon 15-85 IS (unless you are really sure that you never shoot much at all on the wide end, not sure 24mm would fit the entire field in at once if you ever want one of those types of shots though). I do spend a lot to get L, but only when they really rock. On APS-C I dumped my 17-40L after trying a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC and I wasn't at all amazed by the 24-105Ls and get rid of them all. Tamron 28-75 2.8 is an option if you don't care about wide and want a bit more reach and yet also want speed of aperture and want to spend less than the 15-85 IS and don't care about IS or fast AF (this lens has VERY slow AF).

Of course if you want a really do it all range you can get the 18-135. Depends whether you prefer that or getting the extra little bit of quality from a lens that has less range.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 50D or 7D?

For what it's worth, I've owned both the 7d and the 50d. Go with the 7d. The focus sytem is better hands down for what your doing with it (I'm a sports guy, full-time Pro). What position does your son play? Are you shooting from the dugout or through the fence? All these make a difference in lens choice. If you son is an outfielder, you're not going to get much with a 200. I'm not sure of your budget, but a 7d works really well with a 100-400 (in broad daylight, high noon), you'll have all the reach you need. A 70-200 non is (F/4 or 2.8) with a canon 1.4 tc is another logical choice (I don't like a 2x, slows things down too much if you want one PM me I have a low mileage one ). Pick up a 50mm 1.8, everyone from beginner to pro should have one of these in their bag. They are on CL all the time less than $100. On the wide end, start with a kit lens and work from there as your budget allows. My first "L" was a 17-40 on a 10D. You've gotten a lot of good advise here, there are a ton of options. One thing not mentioned, is with the 7D you can shoot some video if you choose.

Ralph

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · 50D or 7D?

I'd go for a 7D and 15-85 and skip the 18-135. I was one of those guys that upgraded from a 50D to 7D in 2009 and recall how amazed I was at the improvement in AF speed and flexibility. Not that the 50D is bad, but the 7D is a lot better. I especially like the Spot Focus mode (reduced AF point size) for tele use and macro it is among Canon's greatest innovations of the past decade. Also love the ability to assign new functions to different buttons. I have Spot focus on the DOF button so I can instantly invoke it in any AF mode. The grid on-demand is also one of my fav features.

As others have mentioned, there isn't much difference at low ISO but the 7D has another stop of good high ISO and is much less prone to banding if you need to lift the low mids or shadows a bit. The 7D is more work in PP than my 5D2 but less than my 50D. The 50D needs more NR and color tweaks than the 7D.

Didn't think I'd ever use the 7D video feature but actually found it useful for short clips.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:18 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · 50D or 7D?

I didn't get on with the 50D. I just didn't like the images, noisy and digital-looking. It was a shame as it has a nice body and screen.

Many will disagree

The 7D is a great camera and the 18meg sensor is excellent by crop standards, I expect that's why Canon have used it again and again

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:35 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · 50D or 7D?

I had the 50D for a few years mainly for shooting airshows, and I had some good images with it.
I think a lot of people comment on the noise but it can be minimised is you get the exposure bang on, if you under-expose and push in post processing the noise does show.

Last year I upgraded to a 7D and for my shooting (again, mainly airshows), it's been a real hit. More FPS, better AF and to me it also seems to be more forgiving than to 50D in terms of pushing shadows in post, so for me I think i'm definately getting better results with the 7. A friend at work who thinks i'm mad spending money on cameras commented that images were better since getting the new cam.

As for the lenses, I've not used 24-105 or 18-135, but I do have the older 70-200 f4.0L and it's an absolute steal, great image quality, seems like bomb proof construction, very quick AF.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:20 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #6 · 50D or 7D?

Id rather have 18-135 or 18-55 and 55-250 than 24-105 on crop. 24 isnt wide on crop.

When I say 18-135 might not be hottest lens that is compared to Zeiss or tip top lenses. I don't think the 24-105 is the hottest lens from what I have read. My 18-135 is very good.

You could probably add an ultrawide to the 18-55 and 55-250 and still be the same $$$ as 24-105.

My Tamron 75-300 672d was really sharp up to 200. There are inexpensive lenses out there that are very good honestly the L's I've used haven't been red hot (100-300, 100-400)

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #7 · 50D or 7D?

Try if you couldnt get good deal on 1DMK2N or 1DMK3. Both are better especially if AF is main point of buying new gear.

Otherwise dunno, I would probably rather buy old 40D, than 50D, but 7D over 50D.

Jan 24, 2013 at 06:45 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #8 · 50D or 7D?

If you are going for IQ get the 50D because it will have the better lens. If you want a better camera get the 7D. But the only major differences are the build quality and the high frame rate of the 7D.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:03 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · 50D or 7D?

gome1122 wrote:
If you are going for IQ get the 50D because it will have the better lens. If you want a better camera get the 7D. But the only major differences are the build quality and the high frame rate of the 7D.

If you are not including significantly better AF, especially for subjects that are moving, as an advantage of the 7D, you are missing what I, as someone with extensive experience with both cameras, would list as the number 1 advantage and clearest advantage of the 7D.

Les

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · 50D or 7D?

gome1122 wrote:

7D AF was a major breakthrough for the APS-C class and the 50D AF, while decent, was the same as the 40D and a long ways from the 7D. Also, 7D video is a really major feature and, well, the 50D doesn't do video (save for the funky magic lantern kind).

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:16 AM
gwaww
• •
p.2 #11 · 50D or 7D?

The 7D is definitely an AF improvement over the 50D but IQ in good light is negligible. I would get the 70-200 f4 and a 7D if you could swing it. The Tamron 70-300 VC is soft after around 250mm ( I am a Tamron fan and tried 3 copies of that lens before I gave up. If you shoot baseball you will find yourself wanting to shoot at max focal length most of the time.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:30 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password