Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SB-600 and the D300

Dee50

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB-600 and the D300

Hi all

Just about to take possession of a D300. Iím coming from a D50 and all Iíve ever used is the pop up flash. Was wondering whether it would make a significant difference to my flash photography if I picked up a used SB600? For indoor shots of my very active family, etc, would the SB600 be more useful to me than the pop up? What would be the benefits of getting the SB600 in the long run over the pop up?

Would appreciate feedback. Many thanks.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB-600 and the D300

Yes, it will make a HUGE difference over the pop up flash. The pop up will make your shots look flat.

Buy several that you can use off camera as $$ allow. Get them up above the subject's face and elevate yourself above the action. With several flashes placed strategically you can get the hair highlights, no sunken eye sockets, and separate the background for a 3D look or blow it out completely.

You will want to tape/velcro an index card to the flash head for bounce, or make a snoot to aim the light and then think about soft boxes and umbrellas.

Take a look at Strobist and go through their Lighting 101 course:

Strobist

Enjoy learning to write with light!!!

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SB-600 and the D300

A few advantages that I see:

1. You have more power on SB600 than on the pop up flash

2. When using SB600 on camera indoor with your family you can simply bounce the flash on the ceiling or on a wall behind you or lateral to you... The quality of the light will really make a difference

3. When no appropriate ceiling or wall is at hand, or for events you can use a flash bracket to raise the flash above the camera. Also you can use a light modifier and again the quality of the light is much improved

4. You can use SB600 off camera, either in your hand with a small modifier or on a stand with an umbrella, softbox, beauty dish, etc. In this scenario, especially indoor you can use the pop up flash as a commander for SB600.

Be careful! Working with flashes lead to addiction!! After a while you will want more units...

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:04 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SB-600 and the D300

I use the SB600 and D300 combo on occasion. It's a good medium sized kit, with a lot of flexibility (for example, being able to shoot the 600 off camera using the D300's pop up flash as a master, even using it to fill or key with the 600).

Aside from that, the recycle time is better than the pop up, the flash is a bit more off axis, and its much more powerful.

Get one and don't look back

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SB-600 and the D300

I have a D7000 and have used a SB-600 and SC-17 cord since day one. I had the SB-600 for my D70s.

One of the biggest advantages to using any flash other than the on camera is extended battery life of the camera battery.

The SB-600 is a good flash, but, having had it for 2 years, I never fully learned how to use it. The menu system is not intuitive. I could find the answer in the book, but, two months later, back to the book!!!

I purchased a SB-700 a week ago, and I now know how to use it much better than the SB-600.

The SB-700 just seems to make sense to me. Consider it

The other features of the SB-700 are also a big plus.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:08 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password