Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Give me a challenge

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Give me a challenge

It's been a dull weekend for me. It's late now, I'm stuck inside due to the weather. Give me something creative and fun to do with a 7D 50mm f/1,8 and a 430EX II(7D and 430EX II can be used wirelessly).

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:40 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Give me a challenge

Go get a leaf, spritz it with water to get some nice sized droplets.
Place something like a colorful flower behind it.
Now take your 50mm and hold it up to your 7D backwards and use it as a macro.
Adjust the flash as needed to get the see through colors in the drops.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:46 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Give me a challenge

Take some 3D objects and using your on board flash as fill start with the OCF directly over the camera at a downward angle of about 45 degrees (matching natural modeling). Then move it in 15 degree increments in a 360 degrees around the objects. Compare the shots and observe which angles create the more realistic illusion of 3D shape and space in the 2D photo. Next try the same experiment with the OCF at 15 degrees vertical and then 0 degrees.

If you can find a person to assist have a figurine with a human face try the same exercise. Try 45, 15 and 60 degrees vertically and note how the brow shades the eyes (or not).

What you'll find is that for most objects, including heads, the illusion of 3D is strongest when the OCF flash is behind and to the side creating "crescent moon" highlighting on the objects. The objects will look more "normal" with the flash at 45V vs. 15V or 0V because natural light , our perceptual baseline for "normal" isn't typically that low in the sky.

With a person you'll find it that while the OCF in back creates a nice 3D illusion of overall shape of a head just the flat light from the fill in front doesn't look normal. That's why the convention for portrait lighting is to place the key light in front of the face about 45 degrees vertically to get past the brow and into the eyes and either centered or to the side to control where the nose and other shadows fall creating 3D shape clues on the front of the face. When a third flash is available adding from behind as "hairlight" adds the same overall impression of 3D shape as seen in the still life objects.

Once you decide on the strategies which create the the best 3D illusion shot a series of it with different lighting ratios. The camera's flash is always in Group A, so set up the slave in Group B. The tone of the shadows doesn't change the impression of the 3D shape much. The tone provides the clue to the environment the objects / faces are in, and by inference the mood of people.

It's not a creative exercise but one that will allow you to better pre-visualize how to create different illusions of 3D shape and simulate "normal" or other than normal (late afternoon) lighting with the vertical angle of the flash and how to create different moods / impressions with lighting ratio.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Give me a challenge

Very good project from cgardner, much better than my simple idea (and something that I need to do also).
Thanks
Jim

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:59 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Give me a challenge

It is the weekend again, we are still waiting for the results.

Here is an idea. Since the sun is low this time of year, capture the light coming in a southern window as backlight, and flash on the front.

Here is my example:

OK, there is your challenge. (I got my pic by dumb luck!! )

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sorpa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Give me a challenge

Is that a pump action suction cup?

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Give me a challenge

Im usually shooting still life in that situation.. But I guess thats not fun.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:45 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Give me a challenge

sorpa wrote:
Is that a pump action suction cup?

Yea, I got it in a Grab Box from KEH. It works GREAT!! The red line on the pump is a safety indicator that tells you the vacuum has reduced, time to pump again. It looses no vacuum on a decent surface.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:52 AM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Give me a challenge

Here's my challenge for you.. Set-up your camera on a tripod and attach a remote. Set to AF-C, sit a few feet in front and fire away while you try to reach the tip of your nose using your tongue. Post results here afterwards

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password