Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Beach Portrait

Tsmith318

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beach Portrait

I've been working on this picture of my girlfriend from last summer at the beach (Port Aransas, Tx). I generally don't take a lot of portraits, so I'd like to get some input. What do y'all think?

Thanks

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beach Portrait

The expression on her face and "turning away" from the camera make the pic as it looks like she is lightheartedly shying away from having her picture taken. The emotional connection steals the show ... as it should.

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beach Portrait

Wish her face wasn't cast in shadow. Otherwise, I agree with Rusty. Seems like an intimate, comfortable moment you shared.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:03 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beach Portrait

Works well as a "character study" (subject not looking at the camera inviting engagement) and as an environmental portrait. Regardless what is seen first, figure or background context, the message is the same.

The fact she's not looking at the camera doesn't compel the viewer to dwell on the face as look as a "look at camera" conventional portrait would. That and the fact she's looking away from the beach helps give subject and background more equal visual balance even with the her off center placement in the frame. But that said since her face is mostly hidden it's a shot someone that knows her would appreciate more than a stranger seeing it.

Usually when a woman has a bag over the shoulder it's better to use a wider crop and show the bag with some "buffer" space under it so as not to have a leading line cut off by the crop at the bottom. Here it is coincidental but the shadow line on her chest matching the angle of the strap, plus the strap matching her skin tone makes the strap (chopped off at the bottom) less distracting. Contrasts attract attention. To make the strap even less distracting dodge on top it to better match the skin on and burn in on the bottom to better match the dress, but not so much that it's obvious and also becomes a distraction.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:05 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password