Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Prettym1k3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

8GB, 1TB, Core i7 PC and LR 4.3 flies on my machine.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:37 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

TTLKurtis wrote:
Soooo this thread ended up causing me to update to 4.3 from 4.1 (I am stupid like that). Then I noticed missing camera profiles. I said eff it and opened LR3. And immediately felt like it was way faster and also easier to edit images with and I preferred the colors then as well. I don't think I'll be going back to LR4.

I have to chuckle at Adobe's expense. The vast array of issues and results across different machines, hardware and platforms is simply baffling. I'm in the exact opposite camp. Like many others, mine is finally flying. I doubt I'll update again because 4.3 has been the fastest version for me ever. 4.2 was great, and I really rolled the dice with 4.3. I think I'll hold my gambling right there for now. I've made a habit of keeping every single version release just so I can have my pick.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:22 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #3 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Totally agree.

LR 4.3 is slow as a snail. LR 3 series is fast as a rabbit. That's the difference.

I am using Core i5 PC with 16GB memory, Win 7 Pro.

My new Core i7 PC is coming in today and I will report back.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Maybe old news to most, but Adobe has posted a fair amount of information in regard to best performance. The most recent update I saw included specific workflow tips.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html?sdid=KBQWU

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:17 AM
sgtbueno
• •
p.2 #5 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

I am running Windows 7, 16gb ram, 240gb SSD on a 4 core 3.2 cpu, just build that thing in december, with 2 gb video card, so LR should be smoking and it was until I upgraded it to 4.3.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #6 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

sgtbueno wrote:
I am running Windows 7, 16gb ram, 240gb SSD on a 4 core 3.2 cpu, just build that thing in december, with 2 gb video card, so LR should be smoking and it was until I upgraded it to 4.3.

I was in the same boat. Noticeable slowdown. I deleted the preference file and now its back up to speed.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Just flew through a family session from yesterday in 15 minutes. 120 images culled to 60+ and processed. Lovin' 4.3. Win8, 12gb, 300gb SSD in RAID (although I've started working on the data HDD with no speed diff), 6 core oc'd 4.2ghz. Happiest I've been... ever.

Seems most complaining are on Win7 or Mac. Win8 made a huge difference for me. Deleting the pref file a few versions back made a huge difference, but I think that goes without saying by now.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:24 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #8 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Received my latest Intel Core i7 3rd generation machine with 32GB ram, 2TD HD. Win 8 is the OS.

LR 4.3 is back to turtle speed now (a lot faster than the snail). But it is still turtle speed compared to the rabbit speed of LR3.4.

I did not delete the pref file yet so that I might try it later on.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

^delete all preferences from previous versions that may be on your machine too. Some have observed that preference files can sometimes to inherit junk from other versions.

More Ram does not = more speed if high chip density means that your latencies are crap.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
skiboarder72
• •
p.2 #10 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

I wrote a tutorial on how to speed up lightroom 4 on my blog a few months ago! Really helped me out!

http://joshjonesphoto.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-speed-up-lightroom-4.html

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #11 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

4.3 is really slow! you should carry on using 4.2

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #12 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

sozypozy wrote:

LR4.3 is not really slow. sorry ... not on PC.

but why the mass responses?

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:31 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #13 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

morganb4 wrote:
^delete all preferences from previous versions that may be on your machine too. Some have observed that preference files can sometimes to inherit junk from other versions.

More Ram does not = more speed if high chip density means that your latencies are crap.

It is a brand new Dell XPS 8500, so no old versions. I found that deleting preference files did not help at all for a new machine.

Latency is 9 only.

Each photo still has an obvious loading period. It is a lot faster on the I7 machine than the other Core i5 machine certainly. But the photo loading/preview is instant on LR3.4 in the I5 machine.

LR 4.3 is turtle speed compared to LR 3.4's rabbit speed.

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #14 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

david, do you split up software and where photos are stored along with catalog? or do they all reside on the same HD?

Is your machine running lean and mean? Did you get rid of un-necessary software running in the background?
How much ram did you allocate for light room? I did find changing from 5 gig to 20 gig helped in overall performance.

I am doing okay with an old Dell XPS430.
This spring-early summer i will build my own.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

sozypozy wrote:

I'm getting instantaneous response to image adjustments in 4.3. Have not even deleted my preferences file. So your blanket statement about 4.3 is not valid.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #16 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Ziffl3 wrote:
david, do you split up software and where photos are stored along with catalog? or do they all reside on the same HD?

Is your machine running lean and mean? Did you get rid of un-necessary software running in the background?
How much ram did you allocate for light room? I did find changing from 5 gig to 20 gig helped in overall performance.

I am doing okay with an old Dell XPS430.
This spring-early summer i will build my own.

I always put the photos and catalog in the same HD.

The software usually runs on C drive and the photos are on D drive. Since this is a brand new machine, other software runs super fast, except LR 4.3. I got the G Skill 32GB memory for this new computer just to speed up the LR 4.3.

LR 4.3 is running in a reasonable speed in the new machine but compared to LR 3.4, it is as SLOW as a turtle.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

There are no right or wrong answers. Every person's machine's results seem to be completely independent of others. The vast issues are hardware related.

About the only things that are "improving" matters seem to be deleting the pref file on both Mac/PC platforms, and upgrading to Win8 on PC. Outside that, no one can really point to a specific reason as to why there are speed issues across some many different machines and hardware combinations... INCLUDING Adobe.

David, have you tried a brand new catalog from scratch?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.2 #18 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Run a Xbench on mac (may be a PC version or similar software) to see exactly what your HD configured speeds are, and do it for any drives storing data or catalogs, as well as system. Then post those.

Regardless of system or vintage, there is an incredible spread of speed range that affects LR and its loading and running more than RAM, etc.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #19 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

OK dumb question.... what and where is this Preference file?

BTW I am not a fan of Process Version 2012. It makes my images less contrasty.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · LR 4.3 is so slow!!!!

Ghost wrote:
OK dumb question.... what and where is this Preference file?

Just search topic: "Lightroom", and you'll find the thread.

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:09 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password