Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio s...

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

The thing is, I'm not using it for its flash ratio or E-TTL capabilities....I just need a cheap AF-assist that doesn't fire. I use cheap CT-04 triggers (the $10 kind you get from China) and only have Chinese flashes (Yongnuo, Triopo...) it's just that an AF-assist that doesn't come from a flash would be really handy when shooting at night on the street. (I intend to use "ambush" off-camera flash to capture candid portraits on the street at night at 135mm f/2, with city lights as bokeh, but focusing is a problem.)

edit: wait I'm being silly -- the yongnuo st-e2 has a hotshoe on top of it, right?
edit2: I guess it doesn't. I really need a way of converting the st-e2 signal to a RF signal, or at least to a hotshoe that my transmitter can then mount on.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:14 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

You might be able to jerry-rig it so the transmitter is connected to the camera via the PC cable, and then put a Chinese ST-e2 AF assist unit in the hot shoe. How you mount or hang on to that trigger is the problem. Maybe a good quality velcro would work, or if you have an "L" adapter mounted in the tripod socket, you could attach the trigger to that somehow. A whacky way might be to attached a cold shoe flash mount to the tripod socket directly (would need some sort of 1/4" screw adapter probably), and then put the trigger underneath the camera. That might be pretty cheap and secure, though an issue when setting the camera down.

The kind of "velcro" that is used to attach the EZ-Pass modules is pretty darned secure. I used that for radiopoppers back when I had them. You could put that on top of the ST-E2 unit and mount the trigger there (upside down maybe?).

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:16 PM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

I currently have a t2i, I don't have pc sync out...

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

The AF assist is triggered with a half-press of the shutter (or back AF button with some bodies) requiring the four "TTL" pins in the shoe. The radio trigger get's it's signal to fire from the larger center pin.

What would work to use both is a "piggyback" TTL cord. It's like the regular Canon TTL extension cord but with a second out-rigger single pin shoe for a radio trigger. Paramount Cords sells them but they are pricey, about $150.

Using AF is a knee-jerk reaction nowadays but in the ambush situation you describe where the flashes will be pointed at a spot in the street using manual focus would work well if you are shooting from a fixed distance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

jrs5fg wrote:
I currently have a t2i, I don't have pc sync out...

Well to take you down the windy road of jerryrigging a bit further, you could add a PC sync with this:

http://flashzebra.com/products/0268/0268.jpg

$18 + shipping at FlashZebra (plus a cord)

http://flashzebra.com/products/0268/index.shtml

You would have a frankencamera in the end, but it might work.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:49 PM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · how to convert yongnuo st-e2 infrared signal to a radio signal?

Thanks erichard! I'll look into it.

Using AF is a knee-jerk reaction nowadays but in the ambush situation you describe where the flashes will be pointed at a spot in the street using manual focus

Oh but the focus will be too variable within the ambush spot. I'm using a 135mm f/2 so precise focus is important, especially as I want these to be super sharp.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:15 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password