Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · My setup, advice needed please

Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · My setup, advice needed please

I get your attachment to the 24-120, but if you're slinging two bodies, the extra range isn't as valuable as the performance advantage of using a 24-70 or a prime (e.g., 35). Just try doing this once and see how it suits you.

I use the lens line-up Tony suggested (except I've also got a 14-24), with the same bodies you list. Previously, I was using the 24-70 on the D3 and the 70-200 on the D3s for about 95% of the day. I'm shifting now to Sigma 35 1.4 and Nikon 85 1.8g, respectively, with the zooms handy for unusual circumstances or backup. I'm not worried about the loss of range.

Someone said they love the 14-24. I like it okay, but the distortion is so extreme that it is tough to use it for many shots at weddings, where off-center people become notably wider, so it's a specialty lens -- like the Sigma 15. It adds flavor, and that's good, but my coverage doesn't break without it.

You could shoot very competently with the gear you have. Since you've got a D3s, the 24-120's slower max aperture isn't murder. But there are times when D3s + a fast prime = thrill up your leg.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:44 PM
sozypozy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · My setup, advice needed please

The first comment pretty much summed it up! Use the D3s as main! And yes you have too many lenses which will be difficult to carry

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:03 PM
pcrit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · My setup, advice needed please

Thanks for the great advice, will be getting a 24-70 after selling off some lenses I don't need and also picking up the 35 1.4.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:36 PM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · My setup, advice needed please

You own way too much crap.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password