Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & sl...

zesto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
I do think the D4 is the only camera in Nikon that I would love to buy though, given all the oil/dust issues with d600 and the left side AF issues with d800. But that's a different topic.

As far as I know, there hasn't been any left side AF issues with the D800 for quite some time now and I think the same applies to the oil issues with the D600. But as you say, "that's a diiferent topic".

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:03 AM
woos
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
I do think the D4 is the only camera in Nikon that I would love to buy though, given all the oil/dust issues with d600 and the left side AF issues with d800. But that's a different topic.

/checks the horse to see if it's still dead

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:03 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

zesto wrote:
As far as I know, there hasn't been any left side AF issues with the D800 for quite some time now and I think the same applies to the oil issues with the D600.

From what I hear, you're wrong on both accounts. The issues you mentioned with those cameras are ongoing.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:25 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Sigma 35 mm 1.4 on my 1dx, and 85mm 1.4 G on my friend's D4.

I will mention this ...

I have compared the Sigma 50/1.4 up against the Canon 50/1.4 on the same body in the same low-light situation. I used the same targets and switched the lenses back and forth. The Sigma was slower to lock focus whereas the Canon was sure footed. The Sigma would regularly hunt and give up whereas the Canon locked with ease, never once hunting - on the exact same target.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:38 PM
zesto
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

D. Diggler wrote:
From what I hear, you're wrong on both accounts. The issues you mentioned with those cameras are ongoing.

Therefore, what you hear must be right and what I hear must be wrong; or have I got that wrong too?

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:57 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

zesto wrote:
Therefore, what you hear must be right and what I hear must be wrong; or have I got that wrong too?

One out of every three recent D600 reviews over at Amazon mentions they have the oil/dust on the sensor problem.
A quick looking them over shows reviews on these dates mentioning the oil problem:

Feb 5
Feb 4
Feb 3
Feb 1
Jan 30
Jan 26
Jan 21
Jan 13
Jan 11
Jan 10
Jan 6
Jan 5
Jan 4
Jan 4
Jan 3
Jan 2

Still think there hasn't been any oil issue with the D600 "for quite some time now"?

Go look for yourself if you want:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D600-FX-Format-Digital-Camera/product-reviews/B0099XGZXA/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Photorph

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

D. Diggler wrote:
I will mention this ...

I have compared the Sigma 50/1.4 up against the Canon 50/1.4 on the same body in the same low-light situation. I used the same targets and switched the lenses back and forth. The Sigma was slower to lock focus whereas the Canon was sure footed. The Sigma would regularly hunt and give up whereas the Canon locked with ease, never once hunting - on the exact same target.

As soon as my friend is able to get the sigma for his D4, I will do the same comparison. But I am still sure about my conclusion about D4's low light superiority...just becaue the difference was huge and I cannot attribute that all to the lens. The 85mm 1.4 G isn't the world's fastest lens either.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:03 AM
zesto
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

D. Diggler wrote:
One out of every three recent D600 reviews over at Amazon mentions they have the oil/dust on the sensor problem.
A quick looking them over shows reviews on these dates mentioning the oil problem:

Feb 5
Feb 4
Feb 3
Feb 1
Jan 30
Jan 26
Jan 21
Jan 13
Jan 11
Jan 10
Jan 6
Jan 5
Jan 4
Jan 4
Jan 3
Jan 2

Still think there hasn't been any oil issue with the D600 "for quite some time now"?

Go look for yourself if you want:

You said, "wrong on both accounts". Go look for yourself if you want; you wrote it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
As soon as my friend is able to get the sigma for his D4, I will do the same comparison.

I'd be interested to hear back what you find.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Using DXO mark as a measure of which is better? I hope you aren't serious, greater color depth... interesting. I won't even comment.

Say what you would like, but I have pretty much concluded for most things that matter the 1dx is a step ahead of D4. For most people, yes true that they don't need to switch systems just because of A particular generation of cameras....things can change with the next. However, if you are a pro who needs the best tools available to make their life easier... switching systems because of something like a 1dx might not be a
...Show more

Ok, we won't say you are a troll, now are you feeling better? signed, very happy D4 owner.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

When I read posts where someone holds himself to be an authority I always go and have a look at their website or what they post here

There is one (a few ) notable authority on this thread that has no website and I only went back through 8 pages (200 postings) and not a pic.

I could be wrong but you know what I think??

Tim

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Hi all, just trying to get some feedback from D4 users.

My D4's focus very well and fast and in my sport things happen very fast and subjects move very fast too!!

This was shot with the 70-200 f/4.

I went with the F4 for these events due to weight, I have two f/2.8 VRII's, but schlepping two D4's and lenses for six days for 12 hours a day gets kinda tiring at times, the F/4 is a dream come true for me.

Jun 16, 2013 at 02:05 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Tim Ashton wrote:
When I read posts where someone holds himself to be an authority I always go and have a look at their website or what they post here

There is one (a few ) notable authority on this thread that has no website and I only went back through 8 pages (200 postings) and not a pic.

I could be wrong but you know what I think??

Tim

Gee, I wonder

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM
fotojev

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

The D4 is the better AF camera for even not so low light. Depends too on the lens I guess. (had the D4 for couple of months, use the 1Dx for birds, have a D3x and had a d3s).

Nikon in general has a better more reliable focus system I think. Much les fuss.

In my opinion the speed of focus in good light is about the same, maybe the Canon a bit faster. But again very much lens dependant.

I would like to have a Nikon for everything but the 800mm Nikon is sooo expensive.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:27 AM
2of9
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Is it too hard to compare pictures, when you own both the D4 and 1Dx, on this forum? I am beginning to see people fighting about which is better. Both cameras are glorious monsters and I'm sure if one person either or, they'd both give out fantastic images. I think the images that YOU are not satisfied with are just user error.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

fotojev wrote:
The D4 is the better AF camera for even not so low light. Depends too on the lens I guess. (had the D4 for couple of months, use the 1Dx for birds, have a D3x and had a d3s).

Nikon in general has a better more reliable focus system I think. Much les fuss.

In my opinion the speed of focus in good light is about the same, maybe the Canon a bit faster. But again very much lens dependant.

I would like to have a Nikon for everything but the 800mm Nikon is sooo expensive.

You are joking right?
Canon 800mm and Nikon 800mm is like 3k difference...
I asked my local store how low they can go with it and they took off another 2K (said I was thinking about buying it). They said the Canon was already at it's lowest they can get (asked out of interest).
So thats a Nikon 800 for 13k and a Canon 800 for 12k. If you sell your 1Dx for like 5k, you still have a profit of 4k. You probably have some more telelenses, but all the Nikon's are cheaper than the Canon's so second hand Canon would be new Nikon.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
fotojev

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Mhh, where I live (NL euro) the Nikon is listed for 17K, the Canon for 12K. The Nikon is not yet in the shops so maybe in the near future the price will drop to the Canon level or lower. .

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:27 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I think this is what he's he's trying to do. ! I have both Canon and NIkon but, prefer Nikon since I feel they have the edge in sensor technology. I borrowed a 1D X from CPS and it's by no measure a better camera. Canon imo. has been less innovative these days and they won't get another cent from me until they get their act together in the sensor department. As far as reliability, my two D4s have been awesome in capturing the moment and that's all that matters to me when the client writes out the check!

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Hi all, just trying to get some feedback from D4 users.

I am a canon user. I use a 1Dx and 5d mark iii and absolutely love them. Their AF is super fast, and they consistently produce tack sharp images in all situations. I saw this comparison online.

http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4-compare-wedding-photographers/

Really made me wonder if this is true. I'm mainly talking about two things, the DETAIL and the AF speed.

If you go to the "autofocus consistency" section, you can see side by side shots done with 2 different lenses at similar settings. The 1dx just seems to have so much more detail/sharpness.
...Show more

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I think folks are splitting hairs here. No need to get your panties all tied up. Life is not about 1s and 0s. The performance levels with these two flagship cameras are astounding.

Take a break from measurebating and take photos.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.