Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less ...

bilalrafi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

This is my second week with a D4 (upgraded from D3s), so far the AF consistency is accurate on all my lenses (no mAF tuning needed). Image detail is very good and I agree to a comment above that if a sample image is showing problems in detail, its more of an AF adjustment issue.

Cannot comment on 1Dx as I haven't used one, but its hard for me to believe the tests shown on the website mentioned by OP. Considering my own excellent experience with D4.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:05 PM
James R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
thanks for the replies so far!

The question would be if you had a Nikon 85mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, and an SB-900...would you get rid of that all and get the 1dx and canon glass? Or stick with what you have and get the D4. (cost is not an issue, yes the 1dx is more than the d4 but when spending that kind of money another grand or so isn't a big deal)

D4 is a great camera I am sure. But when making a recommendation to someone else if I want them to have the best of everything, I would
...Show more

You seem to be leaning towards the Canon, so go ahead and buy it. Without any investment in either maker, it doesn't really matter much which direction you go.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:36 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.2 #3 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

i think the general lack of comments on the d4 mostly means it is working as advertised...i am very happy with mine as i would expect to be. i'm sure the 1dx is also amazing, you really can't go wrong with either system.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Photorph

p.2 #4 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

cohenfive wrote:
i think the general lack of comments on the d4 mostly means it is working as advertised...i am very happy with mine as i would expect to be. i'm sure the 1dx is also amazing, you really can't go wrong with either system.

Of course the D4 will work as advertised. But comparatively speaking, It seems like anyone who has tried both has preferred the Canon 1dx. This is just based on all the comparisons out there on review sites, and the users on Fredmiranda as well. It doesn't seem like anyone can definitively say that they preferred the D4 over the 1DX. And it seems like many pros are even switching over to the 1DX, switching an entire system just for a camera is huge to me and is an indicator of the differences between the cameras. Here is just one example of a pretty popular photographer who switched entire systems.

www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/223.php (there are more examples as well, including the one in the beginning of this thread)

I am not sure why users can't just acknowledge when one company produces a camera that is ahead of the other. For example when I was shooting with 1D Mark IV it was clear to me that D3S was a much better camera and I acknowledged that. So now when giving advice to someone in terms of which direction to head, why can't we say that go for the 1DX instead of the D4 since it is currently a much better body. I don't think is fair to say that going in either direction is the same thing.

I would still be interested in comments from D4 users stating why they would take a D4 over a Canon 1DX, besides the whole sticking with a system argument.

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:20 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.2 #5 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

So you come to the Nikon forum and expect everyone to say the 1DX is clearly better than the D4 - You are obviously delusional as well as being a troll.

Every camera has its pros and cons and just because the 1DX is a better camera (supposedly) doesn't mean everyone will agree it's the case because of the way they use their cameras. Perhaps you should go over to the Canon forum and start a thread stating that the D3s is a superior camera to the 1DIV and see what kind of reception you get

Anyway people switch systems all the time, it's just a fact of life and it doesn't automatically mean that the system or camera they are switching to is necessarily better, there's a lot of personal subjectiveness involved. And after the switch is made do folks really see a noticeable improvement in their images? I mean this is where the rubber meets the road and even if specs wise a camera appears clearly superior, if I'm still getting the same images I did before is it really a "better" camera in the practical sense?

Cheers
Leigh

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.2 #6 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Of course the D4 will work as advertised. But comparatively speaking, It seems like anyone who has tried both has preferred the Canon 1dx. This is just based on all the comparisons out there on review sites, and the users on Fredmiranda as well. It doesn't seem like anyone can definitively say that they preferred the D4 over the 1DX. And it seems like many pros are even switching over to the 1DX, switching an entire system just for a camera is huge to me and is an indicator of the differences between the cameras. Here is just one example
...Show more

I suspected that all you wanted was confirmation that one is superior to the other. If you're a good photographer, neither will matter.
As Thom Hogan said, you would not be able to tell which shots were taken between these pro bodies.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:01 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #7 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

If your friend is considering a D4, should he/she not be able to look at the cameras him/herself and determine what suits their needs best?

I mean, I could see if your friend was debating a D3200 or a T4i...

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Photorph

p.2 #8 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

DTOB wrote:
If your friend is considering a D4, should he/she not be able to look at the cameras him/herself and determine what suits their needs best?

I mean, I could see if your friend was debating a D3200 or a T4i...

He actually went for D4 and ordered the adorama deal today because he didnt want to deal with selling his lenses. Not trying to be a troll, just wanted to see if anyone out there had a reason for picking a D4 over 1dx. Since no one can come up with any, I'll list the things he came up with as his reasons:

-better low light Af
-better battery life
-better if pushing shadows (more dynamic range)
-as a wedding shooter 10fps was more than enough for him
-d4 had a grippier texture, he doesn't use straps so he liked the grippy texture
-2.7 x crop in video handy when using primes
-wasnt a fan of the thumbwheel on canons
-adorama package on it was great, he got 5% rewards along with 3% from credit card for a total of 8% in rewards, not to mention a free battery, 1000x cf card, and 3 year additional warranty

We all need some justification when spending so much, that is all I was looking for...for d4 users to give more possible reasons to drop hard earned money on that vs the competition.

Thanks for all the replies. His d4 will be here later this week. And I have my 1dx that I'm VERY happy with. If anyone would like to see a video of a specific comparison between these two cameras, let me know since I will have access to both.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

just for reference on an attempted even playing field:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/767%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/753%7C0/(brand2)/Canon

puts the D4 ahead overall and I do believe is a little less subjective and has slightly more regimented methodology

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

na but some interesting shots would be nice.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

this was an exercise in the pointless point. with a smattering of trollism/hubris

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Vinnie_VdB

p.2 #12 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

sjms wrote:
this was an exercise in the pointless point. with a smattering of trollism/hubris

+1

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:21 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

I believe the reputations of each camera are:

D4: Small but significant advantage for extremely low light AF, super large buffer, significantly cheaper.

1Dx: More expensive, faster fps (12 verses D4's 10), optimum AF for bright light and, mostly, adequate buffer.

Both cameras are very well regarded by their users. The choice is dependant upon the user's existing lens system, ergonomic preferences and type of work. I don't think any 1 sample test of each camera can change this.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

D4 wider latitude greater color depth

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #15 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

My d4 is about a week old, and I must say I am really disappointed in it. I was thinking that the AF system was really lacking, on both my 24-70 and 70-200, at all apertures, even on a tripod with high shutter speeds.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #16 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

IIRC that video in the link was referring to AF accuracy. Can't really remember, the d4 locks on more times but not as accurate while the 1dx is the other way around.

Detail wise.... 16mp d4 or 18mp 1dx. Ah huh.

So far the d4 has no green tint, oil spots, left AF issues of the newer non-consumer Nikon body.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

RJKphoto wrote:
My d4 is about a week old, and I must say I am really disappointed in it. I was thinking that the AF system was really lacking, on both my 24-70 and 70-200, at all apertures, even on a tripod with high shutter speeds.

I know its terrible

NIKON D4    24mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8 lens    22mm    f/6.3    1/30s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 22, 2013 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Photorph

p.2 #18 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

sjms wrote:
D4 wider latitude greater color depth

Using DXO mark as a measure of which is better? I hope you aren't serious, greater color depth... interesting. I won't even comment.

Say what you would like, but I have pretty much concluded for most things that matter the 1dx is a step ahead of D4. For most people, yes true that they don't need to switch systems just because of A particular generation of cameras....things can change with the next. However, if you are a pro who needs the best tools available to make their life easier... switching systems because of something like a 1dx might not be a bad idea.

As I said before, many well regarded photographers and reviewers have agreed 1dx is ahead of nikon:

Peter from a better bounce card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IznKQgo5e0

Andy Rouse switched systems as I pointed out earlier (excellent wildlife photographer) http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/223.php

Xerodigital guy which I posted in beginning of thread...

Reviewers who flat out stated 1dx is ahead of D4: digitalrev, thatnikonguy (matt), and many others

And last but not least, I own the 1dx and can say it IS objectively better in most regards...and for me personally subjectively better in every way.

As others have pointed out, it won't give you better photos...but it will make getting the photos you want easier than ever. And the colors out of the camera (for people/wedding photography) are far better in my opinion than what a D4 gives you.

Nikon makes great cameras, I used D3s back when canon's bodies weren't at nikon's level...now it's the other way around.

D4 = excellent
1dx = excellent plus some more

And please don't say I'm "trolling", I use both canon and nikon. Can people not state what the better body at a particular time period is these days w/o being called a "troll"? Heck I even pointed out things which are better in the D4 (battery life, extreme low light AF).

Jan 26, 2013 at 08:59 AM
zesto
• •
p.2 #19 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

If you're so convinced the 1Dx is better than the D4 then what was the point of your original post?

Most people aren't stupid and can see what you're really up to. Still, you're entitled to your bit of fun as it's harmless enough.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · D4 users, is it lacking sharpness compared to 1dx? Less detail & slower AF?

Photorph wrote:
Using DXO mark as a measure of which is better? I hope you aren't serious, greater color depth... interesting. I won't even comment.

Say what you would like, but I have pretty much concluded for most things that matter the 1dx is a step ahead of D4. For most people, yes true that they don't need to switch systems just because of A particular generation of cameras....things can change with the next. However, if you are a pro who needs the best tools available to make their life easier... switching systems because of something like a 1dx might not be a
...Show more

I suggest you reread your own statements. they are fairly well directed and defined as already a forgone conclusion and your attempt to stir up some "questions" within a group. I shot canon for 5 years and had more product failures on the high end product then the lower ones.

I use tools that must work all the time. my confidence in canon was broken years back. I tried they failed and that's my opinion.

as to the DXOmark, well its got a reference, a database, repeatability, and no ego or axe to grind. you, you have opinions which can be viewed at times as rather subjective in nature

does my life revolve around andy rouse (whoever that is) or peter? from the better bounce card (yet another self made mystery on the net). this weeks opinion from people I don't know.

if it makes you feel better to know for a moment in time you have the best of the best so be it. in the end there is no award for it. it's an opinion. and it can be rather short lived in this world. but, I am really glad you feel so strongly about the camera you own.

remember you pick and choose as we all do what we want to believe.

you smack of amateurism.

as Alfred E. Neuman says: What, me worry?

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 02:17 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password