Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Really Right Stuff

Fjellfalck
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Really Right Stuff

I have bought equipment from them since 2005. High quality products and great service each time = great company.

It is a pleasure doing business with such companies. I gladly pay some extra dollars for quality products and good personal service rather than paying less for less quality. Over a time period I think it is less expensive to buy quality products you like and use for years rather than buying several medium quality products to a lower price

Fjellfalck

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
charles sharpe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Really Right Stuff

I have only just discovered RRS. I have bought from the twice in the last 6 months. On both occasions I have asked for some advice on the item I wanted to buy a e mail came back within minutes and I ordered on line and had no problems at all. The last item came this week and I got there new catalogue in the parcel. I wiil be buying from them again.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Really Right Stuff

Not easy to buy from outside the US, I buy kirk instead which are just as good. I wouldn't mind one of their tripods though.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:20 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Really Right Stuff

Never had a problem with them, always extremely helpful
Bob

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Really Right Stuff

Mark_L wrote:
Not easy to buy from outside the US, I buy kirk instead which are just as good. I wouldn't mind one of their tripods though.

just as? not quite. not nearly as refined. but if that's your most accessible then it would be the next option.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Really Right Stuff

syme71 wrote:
Anyone else have a bad experience with RRS? Their website is crap - double charged my credit card. Escalated to RRS and they seem ignorant to the whole matter.

You have only made 2 posts: did you join the forum just to bad mouth RRS? Can we blog about you?

I bet there are thousands of RRS customers that would disagree with you about their website being crap, I am for one. Just recently I viewed their website several times prior to purchasing my first RRS carbon fiber pod. transaction and communication was excellent. I live in Australia and they kept me informed of when it was manufactured (was on back order) and upped delivery so it would arrive in time for my trip away.

To my surprise, I received a set of tools, a light tripod bag and a printed catalogue with my delivery. I have purchased several tripods from major manufacturers before and not received any of this. Thought a download manual would have been more than enough.

Face it, all companies (and even people) make errors from time to time. Of course they will "
seem ignorant to the whole matter" until they confirm the error.

Bitching about it is not going to help at all.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:17 PM
zesto
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Really Right Stuff

I live in New Zealand and have always had nothing but prompt and efficient service from RRS. The products I have bought from them are beautifully made.

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Really Right Stuff

in the end the OP showed no further interest in this mess. in fact no real interest in any other forum either

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/recent/syme71

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:49 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Really Right Stuff

sjms wrote:
in the end the OP showed no further interest in this mess. in fact no real interest in any other forum either

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/recent/syme71

The OP does have some interest.

The OP PMed me to complain I had used a word he/she didn't like to describe the delivery method they had chosen to establish their argument.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Really Right Stuff

that was me. and i'm not the OP.
the OP handle is syme71 not sjms

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne_eddy
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Really Right Stuff

sjms wrote:
that was me. and i'm not the OP.
the OP handle is syme71 not sjms

Sorry about that. It was very late here!

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Really Right Stuff

well then, hopefully, this is done

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:48 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Really Right Stuff

RRS? One of their ballheads came apart in the field (BH-55) while I had a lens (500-mm F4) mounted to it...luckily I caught the lens in mid-air. It seems the glue they use on some of their products has a tendency to fail - a person over at Luminous Landscape also reported a similar problem.

I also disagree with some of their politics regarding their anti gay marriage stance - and contributing money to have it repealed in California.

Basically, if I can buy a similar product from Kirk or Ebay or wherever, I now go that route.

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

and before sjms responds to defend RRS yet again, I'll steal a line from a previous post: "I like the Apple analogy. Nothing turns me off more than people tripping over themselves to defend a company they have no stake in other than owning their gear and this forum has a few RRS defenders that cannot seem to fathom they also make mistakes and don't always make the best gear for various uses."

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
dogbait

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Really Right Stuff

rdcny wrote:
I also disagree with some of their politics regarding their anti gay marriage stance - and contributing money to have it repealed in California.

This.

Speaking from personal experience Acratech, Markins and Kirk are superb alternatives and have given me years of excellent use with all of them. I can recommend them very highly indeed.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:50 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Really Right Stuff

I dont agree with their politics, but then I don't agree with some of my best friends politics, but then this is the nature of living in a free society, people are entitled to their views and how they spend their own money. The RRS product that I own are superb and I have always found their service to be similarly superb.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:01 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Really Right Stuff

Please distinguish between RRS the company and its ownership. RRS had absolutely nothing to do with the donation around Proposition 8 in California. That money was given by the ownership.

I also don't agree with the owner's politics but so what? His personal politics and how he gives his money have no connection whatsoever with the company and its products. I'm quite sure that RRS will be happy to sell you a tripod whether you're gay, straight or a little green man from Mars.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:12 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Really Right Stuff

Sorry - RRS and its owners are one and the same...why send them money they will use to promote unequal rights? I vote with my feet...I vote with my wallet...

I am sure the owners are nice people: they hug children, hug puppies...have a nice happy catalog. What's wrong with that picture? Nothing...except what they do with some of the money they earn from people like you and me. Perhaps the owners will see the light (and get with the growing majority of Americans) who don't see a difference (in legal terms) between gay or straight or whatever people...It is fine for RRS owners to believe whatever they want in their church...but when they enter the public sphere to deny people the right to marry - which entails denying people certain rights and opportunities that straight people have...I have a big problem with that. Why? because in my family (as in yours) there are people who are gay...So I take my money elsewhere and perhaps RRS will spend their money on causes that are inclusive of all people.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:29 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Really Right Stuff

I agree with rdcny here.
As a private company, RRS has the right to spend the money they make selling their products however they wish
As a consumer, I will always reserve the right to make an educated decision about where my hard earned dollars are spent
I wish there was more information out there about the causes companies support
I do believe in Karma

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Really Right Stuff

I thought this tread was about peoples personal experience with RRS as a customer. But now these never ending stories again and again.......We have heard it before. It's a personal choice which company each of you choose to buy from.That must be respected. However, back to the topic: I think most people having personal experience with RRS do agree that they make great products and have great service. I'm sure Acratech, Markins and Kirk are great quality companies too.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Really Right Stuff

It looks like this thread stirred towards politics instead of photography. I will be locking it as requested.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:40 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password