Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Really Right Stuff

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Really Right Stuff

nobodies perfect all of the time. but I have a feeling that as with most stories there's more to it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:48 AM
gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Really Right Stuff

To me RRS seems a lot like apple. They are control freaks with their products, in the way that if you buy one of their products, you generally need another product to make it work. They are quite expensive. But in the end if you can afford to have all RRS brand, it can make a pretty awesome setup.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:50 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.2 #3 · Really Right Stuff

Hi Lars, I bought a couple hundred $ worth of stuff from them last week and they sent me a 2013 catalog. Sometimes they run out of printed copies to send, but I always end up with multiple copies of each edition - I actually wish they would keep track and stop sending duplicates which go straight into the recycling bin

Lars Johnsson wrote:
If they double charge your credit card. Then I'm sure a phone call will make it right again.
RRS is honest and have good products. But the service is less good if you live abroad than it was a few years ago. Before they sent their catalog to everyone that like to have it. Today they will not send it outside the USA even if you are a costumer that they know have bought equipment for thousends of dollars from them. IMO that's a bit cheap and not so good service.
The website has some very good info. But it's
...Show more

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Really Right Stuff

gome1122 wrote:
To me RRS seems a lot like apple. They are control freaks with their products, in the way that if you buy one of their products, you generally need another product to make it work. They are quite expensive. But in the end if you can afford to have all RRS brand, it can make a pretty awesome setup.

please explain how you arrived to this conclusion?
1- their stuff fits everyone else's stuff. non proprietary
2- they are within a few dollars of other makers like Kirk, Acratech markins and others.

example:
Kirk D4 L bracket $185
RRS D4 L bracket $190

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:28 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.2 #5 · Really Right Stuff

sjms wrote:
please explain how you arrived to this conclusion?
1- their stuff fits everyone else's stuff. non proprietary
2- they are within a few dollars of other makers like Kirk, Acratech markins and others.

example:
Kirk D4 L bracket $185
RRS D4 L bracket $190

I guess I'm wrong, kinda more the hobby of photography is expensive. Well at least I was right on one point, that if you have all just RRS you will probably end up with an awesome setup.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Really Right Stuff

sjms wrote:
a description of the failures would probably be informative to the group. and as you are a photographer with multiple cameras pictures are always welcome.

I like to refer to them as a cottage industry as there "home" has grown just a little. I do like "enthusiastic" engineers, I work with a few of them.

Oh, I mentioned it many times, but mainly the lever crapping out the first week, the panning head not locking down, and some other ball head thing. I'd wait a year or so with most new RRS products until there is a v2.

EBH

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Really Right Stuff

I had a lever QR whose lever started to rotate. I contacted them and was told that this was a problem with a first batch and that they would replace it. I sent it to them and when they got it due to some scratches on the QR they then tried to claim that the problem was due to damage even though they had admitted it was a manufacturing problem. I had to point this out rather forcefully before they sent me a new one but the new one was in noticeably used condition and has never stopped being problematic to use. You win some you lose some.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Really Right Stuff

chrisdee wrote:
Hi Lars, I bought a couple hundred $ worth of stuff from them last week and they sent me a 2013 catalog. Sometimes they run out of printed copies to send, but I always end up with multiple copies of each edition - I actually wish they would keep track and stop sending duplicates which go straight into the recycling bin

Yes they send the catalog if you make an order at the same time. So they can send it with the equipment you bought. If you bought something a couple of weeks before the catalog comes out forget it. Then you will not get it. Even if you bought equipment for a couple of thousend dollars, the one dollar postage is too expensive for them

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Really Right Stuff

I haven't bought anything from them for at least 2 years and I still regularly receive their paper catalog.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Really Right Stuff

EB-1 wrote:
Oh, I mentioned it many times, but mainly the lever crapping out the first week, the panning head not locking down, and some other ball head thing. I'd wait a year or so with most new RRS products until there is a v2.

EBH

you have? I guess I missed that. my first BH 40 had an issue too. but it was resolved. it's like everything else that is mechanical and electrical in nature. I know what its like and understand production issues from small to very large. believe me, some of the ones I have shrinks our little issues to insignificance. maybe that's why I don't get so excited about it. I haven't found a company/product that is absolute 100%. but I know the ones i'd prefer to deal with.

also remember every picture tells a story.

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Really Right Stuff

howardm4 wrote:
I haven't bought anything from them for at least 2 years and I still regularly receive their paper catalog.

Do you live outside the USA because I wrote that in my post

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Really Right Stuff

hmmmm... i had the exact opposite experience. i ordered online and never got a confirmation or any actual order derived from my placing of the order. i did however just drive down and pick up and place my order in person (im a local). and i had a great customer experience when i had to have something repaired. just went down and 10mins later my tripod was fixed

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:02 AM
tived
• • •
p.2 #13 · Really Right Stuff

Happy customer since 2002, bought a lot of their products and have always had good service, and I am in Australia.

Customer service has always been good, alerting me of missing parts in my system, as well as alerting me of doubling up on parts and offering better ways to improve on my projects.

I have nothing but praise for Really Right Stuff, service as well as products.

I think you have gotten really unlucky, give it another go, email them and explain the situation. I am confident that you will get it resolved, if it is truly a genuine error on their behalf!!!

Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience, I hope you get it solved quickly

Henrik Tived
Australia

PS: I have no connection to RRS other then being a happy customer of many many years

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:14 AM
fgransee
• •
p.2 #14 · Really Right Stuff

It's a great company and they sell their quality equipment at a premium - providing excellent CS is essential and they do understand that. A billing issue is easy to fix and even if you'd have problems with one individual it's unlikely that you will encounter any problems escalating the issue.

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:10 PM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.2 #15 · Really Right Stuff

They had a problem with their wesite last week, wouldn't let me add a credit card, so I couldn't complete an order.

Rang them following day, all fixed up and expedited the stuff that day. Have made 12-15 purchases over the years and always had great service (their overseas delivery costs are outrageous however - really gouge us there!)

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:51 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Really Right Stuff

RRS is wasy to work with. I find it hard to believe that any one couldn't resolve any issue with them in a matter of minutes on the phone. I've been using their products for years. RRS gear is expensive but then the good stuff usually is.

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:07 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.2 #17 · Really Right Stuff

RRS=Great

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #18 · Really Right Stuff

They make great products, but the price just isn't enough for me to personally justify owning a bunch of their equipment. I also think their ball head designs aren't quite suited for rough treatment like some other designs. They are heavy and are more susceptible to problems with being fouled by the elements.

I've had them leave items out of my order before, but they quickly sent out the item once I let them know, it wouldn't have been much of an issue except I was living overseas and shipping took about 10 days because of the location.

I like the Apple analogy. Nothing turns me off more than people tripping over themselves to defend a company they have no stake in other than owning their gear and this forum has a few RRS defenders that cannot seem to fathom they also make mistakes and don't always make the best gear for various uses.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:12 PM
goldscout
• •
p.2 #19 · Really Right Stuff

+1 good service, nice people no problems

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Ed Porter
• •
p.2 #20 · Really Right Stuff

I had a problem with a macro focusing rail that I had I purchased from them, it started to slip under the weight of a 1D Mark IIN, 180mm Macro lens and MT-24 EX flash. One e-mail to them and the problem was on the way to being resolved. They sent me a new focusing rail, even though mine was over a year old, along with a UPS shipping label to return my old one. Outstanding service, IMO. The new rail worked perfectly under the same load. I own several of their products and will continue to do business with them.

Ed

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:36 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password