Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Feedback on weekly assignment

kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Feedback on weekly assignment

Hi Friends: I posted an image (here) for the weekly photo contest, the theme of which is "Texture," but I am now having second thoughts and I wonder (a) what you think of it, and (b) whether one of the following images might be better.

The Old Standby: A Brick Wall.

The Texture of the Flag: Red, White, and Blue.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Feedback on weekly assignment

The flag is the much more compelling image, imo. For me, the texture in the bricks is incidental to the mural, whereas in the flag it is an integral to the wind "whipping" the flag and "rippling" the fabric as part of the image's storyline.

One thing about the WA, given the chose between a compelling image that "complies" with the theme and one that is "not so compelling" but is very demonstrative of the theme ... it can go either way. But when you combine both compelling and demonstrative (and clever/unique when you can) it makes for a winning image (no matter the actual voting).

Micro-nit ... if you have some more real estate above the star, I'd consider cropping so that the right hand star is fully revealed. Diggin' the corner usage / leading & implied lines.

Nice job, I see the flag as "serious competition" ... to which I'm gonna have to get busy and "up my game" for my entry this week.
The brick wall, not so much.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:50 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Feedback on weekly assignment

Thanks, RustyB. Appreciate the comments. Agree with all. Sure wish I had captured that star, but didn't. Could crop out the stars, but figured I leave them in, even if they're imperfect.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Feedback on weekly assignment

+1 with Kent's comments.
The brick as presented is a brick wall with relatively little texture!
The flag shot is quite nice but doesnt scream texture to me either, although it features nice processing and I can imagine the feel of the material. I am somehow picturing the winning image as "loaded" with texture, but I have been wrong before. Many times.
Good luck.
I am going to see if I can come up with an entry myself.
Scott

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Feedback on weekly assignment

Definitely leave them in ... just wondering if you had any more room. Not a deal breaker by any means. Still quite nice as is.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:02 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Feedback on weekly assignment

The flag shot is quite nice but doesnt scream texture to me either

Yeah, here's my original posting, FWIW. More texture but maybe less striking.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:12 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Feedback on weekly assignment

What they lack is an imagined tactile sensation of running a finger across it and feeling texture. Braille, 40 grit sandpaper, a file, a two-day-old beard.... Things you might hold and touch and feel rough texture come to mind. Or things you'd avoid touching like finely broken glass, a thorny seed pod, etc.

Rusty's pretzel shot in the other message works on that level, but a simpler image of a single pretzel shaped one seen as you imagine holding it to eat would work better.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password