Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · EOS 5D mk3

rabbitmountain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · EOS 5D mk3

Well I don't hope you're right. In the Netherlands, the 5DmkIII started at 3500 Euros (that's about 4500 USD !!) and it quickly went down to 2499. Then suddenly, for some mysterious reason, all resellers upped their price to 2999. We suspect Canon had something to do with that. Anyway current prices are still 2799, 300 more than they had been once. I sincerely do hope that we get below 2500 again, or else I may buy from the US some day.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · EOS 5D mk3

I just ordered my 5D3 from B&H. It seems an expensive body but I actually paid only $100 less for my 5Dc back in 2006. I have a trip coming up which dictated buying now but my reason for upgrading boils down to the f8 firmware update in April that will allow me to get 7D resolution out of my 100-400 by using a 1.4x teleconverter. In addition to my experimentation with my 5D2, a number of posts here indicate I won't be losing much IQ and I'll be able to leave the 7D home when traveling by air. One body to do it all. Not sure yet whether my 5D2 or 7D will be my 2nd body.

I'm also hoping that the non-keyframed video encoding (ALLI) will mean I can get non-jumpy panning videos which I can't seem to get from my 5D2.

Finally, this seems to be a very well received camera. Other than its general expense and the general Nikon v Canon dynamic range war, there has been very little forum whining about it. Some want more MP, but I definitely don't! I suspect that a 5D4 will be a big MP monster. This one looks to have a long life span.

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #3 · EOS 5D mk3

buy the 5D III and start using it

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #4 · EOS 5D mk3

Good for you and good luck on your trip. I have the feeling Canon will keep the 5D line at the same amount of MP and create a new number for the high MP camera. I don't need more pixels anyway, I know I'll need to upgrade my Mac Pro and I don't want to do that.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:51 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #5 · EOS 5D mk3

abqnmusa wrote:
buy the 5D III and start using it

If this is meant to be for me, no I won't at this point as i described in my longer post. There is no reason to do it now, but there may be in the future.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #6 · EOS 5D mk3

rabbitmountain wrote:
Good for you and good luck on your trip. I have the feeling Canon will keep the 5D line at the same amount of MP and create a new number for the high MP camera. I don't need more pixels anyway, I know I'll need to upgrade my Mac Pro and I don't want to do that.

Thanks. I hope you are right about future 5Ds. I'm really happy with my 5D2 and see this as a FF upgrade to the 7D or a merging of the two bodys.

Edited on Jan 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:58 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.2 #7 · EOS 5D mk3

If you do action shots, the AF of the 5D3 makes a dramatic difference in the
number of keepers. If you are shooting stationary subjects, not worth it in opinion.
I use 5D3 for moving subjects. 5D2 for flowers. 7D for birds and small critters
where its extra reach is helpful.

Jan 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #8 · EOS 5D mk3

garydavidjones wrote:
If you do action shots, the AF of the 5D3 makes a dramatic difference in the number of keepers. If you are shooting stationary subjects, not worth it in opinion. I use 5D3 for moving subjects. 5D2 for flowers. 7D for birds and small critters where its extra reach is helpful.

That's the ideal setup. I love truck camping trips where I can bring all my camera gear.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:06 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #9 · EOS 5D mk3

Hi Jeff,
I love long haul flights where I can bring all my camera gear (and I do) We've been to your beautiful country too, it was well worth it. I think FF is ideal for travel with landscapes.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.2 #10 · EOS 5D mk3

Just got my MKIII after comparing it to the 6D (I already had a 5D MKII)
I just sold my 1D MKIV and felt it was the best Canon I have ever owned and LOVED the super fast AF and ISO abilities (Compared to my 5D MKII). Sold the MKIV thinking I would be happy with just a 5D MKII to take vacation shots and light birding...BIG MISTAKE. Sold the 5 DMKII as well and picked up the 5D MKIII after playing with the 6D and finding the AF barely better than my 5d MKII. LOVE the AF on the 5DMKIII. Its the same as my MKIV but now FF for those super landscape shots (and now with HDR built in!) Win Win For me and hope this helps. (Price was average (live in Canada....:-(

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:16 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #11 · EOS 5D mk3

Bought for 3200 USD (2400 EUR) a few months after release, here in Ireland it was priced at 3500 EUR at the time (4600 USD) so I think I made a good strategy.

Right now it goes for 2700 and up to 3000 EUR around my country.

My take is that it will keep this way a good deal of time. Buy it now.

BTW, I come from a 5Dc and while I could have bought a 5DII for much less, having played with the Mark II and the Mark III I just could not see myself tied 3 years more with the same lousy focusing, the silent mode is a bless too. And many other features I so much welcome like the shutter lag being way shorter.

Jan 22, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #12 · EOS 5D mk3

rabbitmountain wrote:
Hi Jeff,
I love long haul flights where I can bring all my camera gear (and I do) We've been to your beautiful country too, it was well worth it. I think FF is ideal for travel with landscapes.

Hi Ralph, I agree completely. My 5Dc 24-105 was the best thing to happen to my travel photography! I'd probably still be happy with it if Canon didn't keep coming out with new 5Ds. "All my gear" for air travel includes 5D, 7D, 24-105, 100-400, 100L, and 35 f2. For international flights this is no problem, I'm usually under 20 lbs for carry-on. However, in-country flights can be another matter. Drukair Bhutan has an 11 lb. limit, Nature Air, Costa Rica has a 10 lb. limit and Air Tahiti has a 6 lb. limit which they may or may not enforce. My Nepal Bhutan thread includes many ideas for coping but one camera body sure saves on weight. My preference is still two when I can.

Glade you enjoyed visiting the US. We have lots of beautiful places, but there are so many around the world that we'll never exhaust this hobby! Cheers.

Jan 22, 2013 at 09:00 PM
jstntym
• •
p.2 #13 · EOS 5D mk3

Another content 5D MkIII owner here. As many here, I too came from the MkII. I've not yet looked back. The image quality isn't so much of an upgrade as is the newer AF, I like it! Took a little time to get adjusted to the settings that work for me but I think it's a good improvement. So far no unforeseen issues that come up from time to time on this forum, mines a keeper. I purchased the Canon grip and have mostly been using it for tripod work as of late, I'm getting great battery life so far. Both batteries were new and this is effectively the second charge I've put on both and they stay within a % or two of each other now for quite some time. I use live view mostly these days so they do get some work, no video though yet. I'm settling in building a very useable kit that will keep me for some time down the road. I'd like to some day pick up the 1-series but content with what I have and really don't feel that I have to have one, but I'd like to, at least once.

I've got quite a bit of time on my side to work to get full use from the features of this camera. Truthfully, I've got a long way to go as I've seen from the exposures on this forum. So for me, the upgrade was fine, both are great cameras! A good thread too!

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password