Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Flagship no more ?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Flagship no more ?

Well written, Robert. In the selection of our new equipment, I fully agree with you that we need to be governed by our own needs and preferences, and evaluate/test the equipment ourselves. Naturally, there are also budgetary as well as cost-benefit concerns, but that is obvious.

1DX is pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's all you need. 1DX would benefit from a few extra Mp, (-3) EV AF sensors, better active AF point display, lower weight etc. Thus, 1DX MkII might be the camera you've been waiting for.

Jan 21, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Lotuselite
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Flagship no more ?

From the Link to the AM blog

First we need to consider that on page 6 of “The Art f Bird Photography II” (ABP II: 916 pages on CD only) I wrote, “… it is routine for me to use either the 500 or 600mm IS lenses with the 2X II teleconverter and produce razor-sharp images consistently at shutter speeds of 1/60 sec. and—at times—with shutter speeds even slower than that.” And that was before Series III TCs and before 4-stop Image Stabilization.

Pretty impressive handholding ability, hmmmm, don't think I am in that league.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:19 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Flagship no more ?

Lotuselite wrote:

I can't see the word "handholding" in your quote ? Perhaps he meant shooting off a tripod ?

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:37 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Flagship no more ?

Ok, I just sold my 800 and bought a 600, but it wasn't because of Artie. I truly loved the 800mm, but the 600mm won out for me for a few reasons.
1. I do more than birds so having a a little bit shorter of a lens is great for that.
2. I am middle-age female and with the front weighting in the 800 it was very difficult to handhold even for short periods of time, but with the reduction of a lb or so and the lens being backweighted it is possible for me to handhold the 600 for short intervals and is just plain easier to carry around. The new 600 feels more like my old 500mm.
3. MFD - I spend a lot of time at the bronx zoo since I was a docent there 15 ft vs 20 ft MFD is pretty big for me with some of the enclosures.
4. The price of the 600s are starting to come down off the 13k list price - seriously call Allen's Camera in PA - love them! So the economics make it a little easier to switch. Also, for a while it was difficult to get a 600mm but they seem easier to come by these days.

So this female can make up her own mind without blindly following others!

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:38 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Flagship no more ?

sperraglia wrote:

Sallie Jo, I am sure you will like the 600, but you just might miss the 800....here and there.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:40 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Flagship no more ?

PetKal wrote:

Sallie Jo, I am sure you will like the 600, but you just might miss the 800....here and there.

I am sure you are right about missing it and for the weekend I felt like you having both in the apartment, but alas the 800mm is all packed up to go to it's new owner.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:08 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Flagship no more ?

every new lens he buys is the best lens ever

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Flagship no more ?

sperraglia wrote:
I am sure you are right about missing it and for the weekend I felt like you having both in the apartment, but alas the 800mm is all packed up to go to it's new owner.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Flagship no more ?

I'm still keeping my 1 D mark IV and my 800 f5.6.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Flagship no more ?

PetKal,

Lotuselite wrote:

I can't see the word "handholding" in your quote ? Perhaps he meant shooting off a tripod ?

Yes, after re-reading his blog I think you are correct, I think I must have carried the hand holding thought from the Cormorant description above in the blog to his comments about 1/60 second etc.
I owe Mr Morris an apology for the comment.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Flagship no more ?

Herb Houghton wrote:
I'm still keeping my 1 D mark IV and my 800 f5.6.

No way, Herb.....you used to be a trend setting guy.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Flagship no more ?

Lotuselite wrote:
PetKal,

Yes, after re-reading his blog I think you are correct, I think I must have carried the hand holding thought from the Cormorant description above in the blog to his comments about 1/60 second etc.
I owe Mr Morris an apology for the comment.

Either way, I tend to be a bit sceptical when people start talking about "tack sharp" images shot with (500)600 + 2xTC at any shutter speed, whatever the method used.....unless they show me an unprocessed 100% crop.

Granted, some lens-TC combos are sharper than others......there is a bit of copy variation there or something.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Flagship no more ?

Either way, I tend to be a bit sceptical when people start talking about "tack sharp" images shot with (500)600 + 2xTC at any shutter speed, whatever the method used.

Yes indeed Peter I agree completely. Having just looked at the work of a highly skilled photographer that demonstrates the 600 2x in real life.

Tim

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Flagship no more ?

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Either way, I tend to be a bit sceptical when people start talking about "tack sharp" images shot with (500)600 + 2xTC at any shutter speed, whatever the method used.

Yes indeed Peter I agree completely. Having just looked at the work of a highly skilled photographer that demonstrates the 600 2x in real life.

Tim

Right on, Tim.....if they are happy with that, so are we.
Life is too short.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Flagship no more ?

Incidentally, this is how I gauge sharpness of my own shots, be they BIF or stationary targets (that is why my BIF keeper rate is so low )

Today's shot.......handheld (what else ? ) 1DsMkII + 600 f/4 IS MkII wide open.

Edited on Jan 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 08:48 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Flagship no more ?

sperraglia wrote:
Ok, I just sold my 800 and bought a 600, but it wasn't because of Artie. I truly loved the 800mm, but the 600mm won out for me for a few reasons.

3. MFD - I spend a lot of time at the bronx zoo since I was a docent there 15 ft vs 20 ft MFD is pretty big for me with some of the enclosures.

That's the spirit making decisions based on your needs and requirements.

I can relate to the MFD change. In the old FD days I loved shooting with my ole FD 800L MFD was 45 feet. When I got my EF 800 that dropped down to 20. That was a big change. But I still rely on extension tubes if I need to lower the MFD any further especially at our Calgary zoo

Enjoy your 600.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Flagship no more ?

Well I'm sure Arty will be dumping his 600 II as soon as the 800 II is released.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Flagship no more ?

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Flagship no more ?

Lotuselite wrote:
From the Link to the AM blog

Even if using that combo on a tripod or monopod that's impressive. Especially when he write that he is old and have problems using heavy lenses
And he get razor-sharp images using the old and less good 600 lens together with a 2X TC !!! This is the lens he dumped for the 800 before, because the 800 was better and sharper. His article is very strange and not really credible.

Old 600 + 2TC = razor sharp at 1/60 or longer speed
Old 600 + 1,4 TC = much better than razor sharp
Old 600 no TC = much better again
800 no TC = much better than all before
600 II + TC much better than the 800 bare
600 II no TC = much much much much better than super razor sharp x100

If the first combo is razor sharp. How can it already have been improved five times in that short time ?

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:56 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Flagship no more ?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
His article is very strange and not really credible.

Old 600 + 2TC = razor sharp at 1/60 or longer speed
Old 600 + 1,4 TC = much better than razor sharp
Old 600 no TC = much better again
800 no TC = much better than all before
600 II + TC much better than the 800 bare
600 II no TC = much much much much better than super razor sharp x100

If the first combo is razor sharp. How can it already have been improved five times in that short time ?

I don't listen to words about sharpness, I look at images and comparisons. His comparisons show exactly the same as the-digital-picture.com, the 600 II+ 1.4 TC is sharper than the 800 bare. I haven't seen any other good comparisons between these two, but compared to the old 600 + TC, the 800 was clearly better as well. His relative scale is in line with what I have seen. I am just waiting for some data to prove that TDP and AM don't know how to get sharp images from the 800

Jan 22, 2013 at 07:19 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password