Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in
  
 
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


If you are one that likes the DXO scores, you'll like the numbers given for the new d5200 Toshiba sensor. Here's the link to their pages.

In short, the d5200 is the new leader, taking the number 1 slot for DX sized sensors and placing 11th overall. Pretty impressive, seems to me. Unless something ugly pops out to goof things up, it seems to me that Toshiba has hit a home run.

Kerry



Jan 18, 2013 at 09:01 PM
ausemmao
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


Kerry Pierce wrote:
If you are one that likes the DXO scores, you'll like the numbers given for the new d5200 Toshiba sensor. Here's the link to their pages.

In short, the d5200 is the new leader, taking the number 1 slot for DX sized sensors and placing 11th overall. Pretty impressive, seems to me. Unless something ugly pops out to goof things up, it seems to me that Toshiba has hit a home run.

Kerry


What's more, it implies very good things for those interested and with the coin for a D4x (if it's economical for Toshiba to scale the sensor up to FX) - 54MP with D4 performance seems desirable



Jan 20, 2013 at 04:14 PM
theSuede
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


The most important thing for me isn't that the sensor is a tiny, tiny bit better than the D7000 sensor - that part I would gladly sacrifice for the difference in body build quality and manual control points - but that they've returned quite a lot back towards the D2x type of color filters.

I don't know if this is indicative of Nikons long-term family plan, or if it's just something that came with the new sensor supplier - but it's good anyway.

The integrated raw-channel >> sRGB error is as low as 2.7, and that's in traditional medium format sensor (or D2x, 5Dmk1) territory. Other modern Nikons are usually about 4.0, and the newer Canons are often up around 6-7.

This error is calculated as:
[raw R coefficient to get sRGB R] x [raw G coefficient to get sRGB G] x [raw B coefficient to get sRGB B]
-and is indicative of hue resolution (lower is better, since we're talking about error SIZE) and also chroma noise amplification (and lower is obviously better here too).



Jan 20, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Elan II
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


Scored higher than the Pentax 645D? I'd like to believe it, but I don't think so.

DXO must be using a different criteria from what most photographers would.






Jan 21, 2013 at 03:36 AM
snapsy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


theSuede wrote:
The most important thing for me isn't that the sensor is a tiny, tiny bit better than the D7000 sensor - that part I would gladly sacrifice for the difference in body build quality and manual control points - but that they've returned quite a lot back towards the D2x type of color filters.

I don't know if this is indicative of Nikons long-term family plan, or if it's just something that came with the new sensor supplier - but it's good anyway.

The integrated raw-channel >> sRGB error is as low as 2.7, and that's in traditional medium format sensor (or
...Show more

Thanks for pointing that out, I completely missed it. That makes the SNR all the more impressive. The shadow banding is unfortunate though.



Jan 21, 2013 at 04:06 AM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


The "Nikon" D3200 Sensor is probably fabricated by Aptiva?
We now know the D5200 Sensor is fabricated at Toshiba.
Do you think the D7100 Sensor might be made by Sony?



Jan 21, 2013 at 03:36 PM
snapsy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


RRRoger wrote:
The "Nikon" D3200 Sensor is probably fabricated by Aptiva?
We now know the D5200 Sensor is fabricated at Toshiba.
Do you think the D7100 Sensor might be made by Sony?


Aptiva is fabless but the D4 is rumored to have their DR-pix dual-gain technology. Chipworks indicated the D3200 is a Nikon design. D7100 seems like a tossup at this point.



Jan 21, 2013 at 04:37 PM
NathanHamler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


Elan II wrote:
Scored higher than the Pentax 645D? I'd like to believe it, but I don't think so.

DXO must be using a different criteria from what most photographers would.



+1

Sometimes i dont understand where DXO gets some of their results from....sometimes i agree, other times, not so much......for instance, a 645D Looks better than a D800, iso 100 or iso 1600 (to my eyes)....doesn't matter either way...and yet the D800 scores 11 places higher than the 645D overall?? lol...some things i agree with, others i think they're smoking crack half the time....



Jan 21, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


NathanHamler wrote:
+1

Sometimes i dont understand where DXO gets some of their results from....sometimes i agree, other times, not so much......for instance, a 645D Looks better than a D800, iso 100 or iso 1600 (to my eyes)....doesn't matter either way...and yet the D800 scores 11 places higher than the 645D overall?? lol...some things i agree with, others i think they're smoking crack half the time....


Scores are calculated from RAW output developed through their own converter, which might be issue n1. Then to calculate its downsized to 8 mpix, which sorta evens playfield (I dont think 8 mpix is enough, certainly I wouldnt buy 40 or 36 mpix camera to use it as 8 mpix one). Which might be issue n2.

Some of their results are bit iffy, especially SNR is one of them..



Jan 21, 2013 at 07:25 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



binary visions
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


The other thing to consider is the difference between an objective and a subjective measurement.

Things can be pleasing to the eye that are either not able to be effectively measured, or do not show well in objective measurements.

DXO delivers measurable numbers on an attempted even playing field. Those are useful and interesting, but are only one part of the story. If comparison charts were the only piece of information we needed, we'd all be buying cars without sitting in them...



Jan 23, 2013 at 01:59 PM
trenchmonkey
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


I'd still take the D7K....1/8000th/6 fps/100% VF. Just sayin'


Jan 23, 2013 at 02:38 PM
DavidWEGS
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


Trench, have you not heard… its all about MP's. Who one cares if its a decent camera?


Jan 23, 2013 at 05:12 PM
trenchmonkey
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


that's what they say


Jan 23, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


trenchmonkey wrote:
I'd still take the D7K....1/8000th/6 fps/100% VF. Just sayin'


Depending on what I'm doing, I'd usually prefer a different camera as well. But, the camera wasn't the point of my post.

My point in posting this info was to show what appears to be Nikon's continuation of their trend toward very high MP DX sensors and how this one performs by comparison. I wouldn't be surprised to see this sensor appear in the replacement to the d7000, maybe even the d300 replacement.

I'm not thrilled with the idea, but they didn't ask me, so I don't guess that they care what I think. Even so, I must admit that it appears to me that they've done a rather remarkable job with such a high density sensor. Whether or not they stuff it into some other bodies in the future is anyone's guess.

Kerry



Jan 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
dholl
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


binary visions wrote:
The other thing to consider is the difference between an objective and a subjective measurement.

Things can be pleasing to the eye that are either not able to be effectively measured, or do not show well in objective measurements.

DXO delivers measurable numbers on an attempted even playing field. Those are useful and interesting, but are only one part of the story. If comparison charts were the only piece of information we needed, we'd all be buying cars without sitting in them...


Sticky this to the top of any thread discussing IQ! I just posted about how D2X images look sharper, deeper and better than D7000 images, even tho' the latter technically outperforms it. Same with Canon. The original 1D at base-ISO will, for me, still produce better-looking images than their 18mp consumer DSLR's.

All in the eye of the beholder, of course...and long may it stay that way.



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM
mbpics
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


The best part about the 5200 sensor being so good IMO is that Nikon is diversifying their lineup in terms of who gets to fabricate their sensors. They're now in control of their designs and can pick and choose whoever they feel is best to produce the final product. This is a much more sustainable business model for a smaller company like Nikon than being beholden to Sony for both the design and fabrication of the majority of its sensors, which was the case not very long ago.

The 5200 sensor bodes very well for Nikon, as they now seem to be in full control of their designs and are not tied down to a single fab. I would love to see a flagship D7100/8000 with a Nikon-designed sensor inside, as well as full-frame derivatives of this sensor!



Jan 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM
EOS20
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


Dpreview have posted their review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d5200




May 17, 2013 at 01:15 PM
DontShoot
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · DXO test results for the d5200 are in


DXO only measures sensors. What they don't measure is usability, ergonomics, and practicality.


May 17, 2013 at 06:33 PM





FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password