Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

Just got a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish from Adorama and the accessory kit with grids. Put the grids in and they just fall out as soon as you move them or point them downward. Anyone else having a similar experience or who can recommend a similar product that actually works?

PS. You can get the grid to stay on by placing the "clear" diffuser (it is much closer to white) on it as a retention device but putting something on that diffuses on top of grid seems pretty brainless to me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

Hrow wrote:
...You can get the grid to stay on by placing the "clear" diffuser (it is much closer to white) on it as a retention device but putting something on that diffuses on top of grid seems pretty brainless to me.

Yeah, that would be pretty counterproductive. Gaffer's tape?

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

BrianO wrote:
Yeah, that would be pretty counterproductive. Gaffer's tape?

Could - but I would rather have something that actually worked like it was suppose to rather than have to tape together something I just bought.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

Hrow wrote:
...I would rather have something that actually worked like it was suppose to rather than have to tape together something I just bought.

I know the feeling. That's one of the best things about FM, as well as buying from a store rather than over the Internet: I'm better-informed about what I'm getting.

Sorry to hear that the Flashpoint MBD isn't working for you. Adorama has pretty good customer service, so hopefully you'll be able to get some kind of satisfaction.

As for a similar product, I've heard good things about the Interfit Strobies accessories, although I haven't actually used that one.

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/strobies/strobies%20index.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621557-REG/Interfit_STR107_STR107_Strobies_Honeycomb_Grid.html

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

Thanks for tip, looks like an interesting system. Tried using the Flashpoint at a shoot yesterday and am at a total loss as to why Joe McNally uses it. Good idea but just crap from an execution perspective. The "clear" filter eats at least a stop of much needed output but is required to keep the grids from bouncing across the studio floor.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

I've had a similar problem with metal lens caps that fit over a lens (fisheyes). The solution was to put gaffer on the edges of the inside of the cap to provide a better friction fit with the lens

I suppose you could do the same with your grids, just adding a little gaff to the edges, say 2-4 pieces at the quarters, fitted to the sides so it doesnt go over a gridhole. If it tightens up the fit, that should be enough to keep it from slipping out.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using a Flashpoint Q Series Mini Beauty Dish?

The tape does work plus it gives it that old worn look. Sort of like pre-washed jeans with the holes that you get to pay extra for.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password