Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

tonyc90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

trenchmonkey wrote:
good call on the 9 & 11...been SO long since I cranked 'er up that fast, I'd forgotten. Thanks!
(amazing what ya can forget in a 5 yr span)

The D3 is an oldie in DSLR terms, but she still got

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:28 PM
tonyc90
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

charlandk wrote:
Anyone who is shooting sports with the D700, are you shooting JPEG to get some extra frames per second or shooting RAW and living with a slightly slow frame/sec count to have greater ability to post process your images?

Any thoughts on D600 for sports? 5-6 frames/sec vs 8-9 with a gripped D700 shooting JPEG

Thank you!

Been using DSLRs since 2002 for sports photography. 99% of time I shot JPEG Normal on my Nikons. Almost always in manual exposure mode, WB, ISO, especially indoors where the lighting is constant. Only shoot RAW for the awards presentation, team shots, and the like, where I prefer to have the control to maximize the image quality. Those type of photos my clients tend to enlarge and hang on the wall.

Given the volume of exposures in any given sporting event, and the eventual image usage, it is not practical to shoot RAW from both a time and storage perspective.

For other paid jobs such as wedding, corporate headshots, and personal projects, I shoot RAW.

Don't rely on fps to capture good sport images. Learn the game, know the players, learn to anticipate the action. Learn the camera, whatever it may be, and how it performs under the various situations.

Re: D600 vs D700 for sports. I have recently used the D600 for a few basketball games. In my opinion the 51pt AF of the D3/D700 is better suited to sports/action compared to the 31pts of the D600. But the D600 is pretty good once you get to know and understand it. Learning the sport and to anticipate action, the fps difference matters little. 5.5fps is still respectable.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:49 PM
SRFast
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shooting D700 JPEG or RAW?

My approach to the JPEG vs, RAW question is the same as tonyc90's.

Fortunately I've been able to shoot sports and events with a D3 or D3S since 2009. I have card slot assigned as RAW and card slot 2 assigned as JPEG. I get the same image in two file types and the JPEG is a back up of the RAW. 95% of my work is web oriented so I can post the JPEG quickly. If an image needs tweaking, I fall back on the RAW image to make the necessary changes.

As indicated earlier, there is no right or wrong way to do things. Do whatever works for you.

Regards....JL

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password