Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Great to have you back and glad you're okay now A hug from me too!

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:38 AM
ReyGay
• • •
p.2 #2 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

I never had depression but I read somewhere many eons ago that running 5-10kms at least once a week reduces the risk of depression. Since then I run 7kms non stop once a week and it always boosts better ideas for work and creativity for photography. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:00 AM
UsseryG
• • •
p.2 #3 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Lol, I'm gonna have to pick me up a mf body and some glass! Does sound fun!

Return hugs to those who wish me hugs.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:15 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

UsseryG wrote:
Lol, I'm gonna have to pick me up a mf body and some glass! Does sound fun!

Return hugs to those who wish me hugs.

Just to be clear Gary, You don't need the MF body to participate in the thread, any Nikon branded camera will do.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.2 #5 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

UsseryG,

Congrats to you and your bravery in fighting off depression. I do not personally have depression, but I have family members who have been fighting with it for a long time. My wife actually decided to get off medication, and fight it by changing her thought habits, etc., and it has been great so far. She is not as bubbly as she was when she was on meds, but overall, she's a much happier person now than before, even with the drugs/meds.

I do understand that meds are great for some, and sometimes, it's easier to get started with the help of meds (and get off them later), but that's not the case for everyone. I applaud you for your determination to go at it sans meds! I know it wasn't easy for my wife at first.

I'm glad your passion for photography can be of help! Physical exercise helps a great deal as well, both physically/neuro-chemically, and psychologically. I'll spare everyone the lecture here, and you've probably already heard them before.

Regarding MF, it's a game changer! I got me a set of used Hassy gear when I was in college, and it was revolutionary for me. It slowed me down, made me much more careful and meticulous with my shots. I really enjoy shooting with it! Too bad I can't afford a digital back, and I no longer have access to either a darkroom or good local film development services. My MF gear's been sitting in a pelican case for a few years now... a bit sad, but I'm too busy with grad school now to have the motivation to get out and shoot much. So another "hats off" to your 365 project!

Best of luck to you and your journey ahead! Please feel free to share your project stuff with us! I'd love to see some of your work

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Artisador
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Adjusting to the proper dose of the RIGHT medication is a tricky business. Many people are hyper-sensitive to medications, but proper clinical diagnosis is all important. Depression can be a stand - alone ailment, although very frequently it is 1/2 of the bipolar coin, the other side being mania. Manic depressives talk themselves into a sense of well-being which can lead to euphoria evidenced by heavy spending and "everything's more than right with the world" existences.

Mania is far better than depression, provided it does not get out of control. The issue is cycling; the up and down of it, and how frequently cycling occurs. There are meds that are easy on the system, but it requires an empirical approach and work to get it right, tolerated and adjusted (titrated).

Sleep is a major factor and a governor in the process. (Dep / bi-polar, etc.) is a bio-chemical imbalance, simply put, and is important to understand what flavor depression yours is even factoring in seasonal affective disorder [SAD] common in your neck of the woods). Self medicating can work in certain individuals, but depending on the type and severity of symptoms, it can be critical to achieve a proper diagnosis. In this regard, finding the right Dr. is all important.

I applaud your pulling yourself up and out of it by the bootstraps, but be cautious in your self-assessments. Rampant spending and spending beyond one's means are signs of the other component of bi-polar disorder. If you find yourself delving in delusions of grandeur (belief in certainty of achieving Ansel Adams-like fame) then perhaps it's time to re-assess.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, it's just that this stuff is potentially dangerous, and insidious. Diagnosing one's self is like a lawyer defending himself: he has a fool for a client.
Best advice? Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Find a good Dr. you can work with. Many know and understand about the low tolerance to medication, and many advocate the approach you are currently taking, but can add safeguards.

Good luck with it all. Look into "micro-dosing"....

*Note: Hey we all spend big bucks on gear and would all spend more if given the opportunity. We all have dreams, and expectations of success. The reality is that few really achieve the "star- level" positions in fields of art and photography, etc. Just saying, not to denigrate any dream seeking or fulfilling that we may all have under "normal" conditions. This all goes with the territory (bi-polar disorder, etc.) Mental illness is a very real and tenuous condition, and needs to be addressed with care and understanding, and above all, knowledge and experience.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:29 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.2 #7 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Congratulations Gary, you found a solution for a difficult problem.

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tobicus
• • •
p.2 #8 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Glad you're doing better, Gary. Hang in there and seek support online and in real life when you need it. I, and many others here, I'm sure, would be happy to lend an ear to anyone who's going through tough times in our little community.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:49 AM
falconbach
• •
p.2 #9 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Great for you Gary, I sincerely hope that your recovery is here to stay!

I went through this nightmare in 2011 and I'm still in recovery process. In 2011 (May) I got eye infection which was of course treated with meds, however that eye infection had some serious side effect on my mental health because it got me extreme anxiety about my vision. Why it got so bad I don't exactly know but one night after the anxiety started I woke up to go to bathroom, when I turned the light on it was like my vision was flickering on and off. Remember the light was on! It probably increased my anxiety to maximum level and turned my neck and shoulder muscles to rock. I didn't sleep for two weeks!

That summer (2011) was nightmare! I went to 7 eye doctors, ct-scan and you name it because the symptoms was very real. However it turned out that my body and eyes were completely healthy! In August I lost my vision temporarely (3 short moments on/off) and it was because the muscles in my neck was so tense that it manufactured micraine reaction.
Of course my anxiety level increased again and over maximum level! It was so serious that I was started to plan exit strategy if I would go blind. That was my biggest fear all that summer.

I finally decided to go to psychiatrist and I filled out some tests and he diagnosed me with "Post Traumatic Stress Dissorder" and put me on some pills which I'm still taking today. I'm still in recovery and if I forget to take my pills then I'm more fragile mentaly.
My vision disturbance has decreased but not completely gone away but I know that is because I'm still in battle with my neck and shoulder muscles, they are still tense no matter what I have done (massage, physio therapy etc.)

We got also a puppy which helped me tremendeously because it kept me busy and made my life brighter.

So keep that depression and/or anxiety in check because it can manufactured some crazy symptoms!!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Congratulations Gary!!, and welcome back.
That's great that you were able to get a handle on it and find things that work.
Your post made my day.

Keep on smiling.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:38 AM
mikereid27

p.2 #11 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

exercise helps a lot too.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:29 AM
mikereid27

p.2 #12 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

so maybe go on photo safaris, hike a ton and get action shots! haha

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:30 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Gary, having been where you were and perhaps even further down on that particular spiral, I am warmed by the fact that A. you are open about it and talking about it. You can find so many avenues of support, all you have to do is open up about it (took me two years to get to where you are now) and B. you have found some healthy "hobbies" and exercise to get yourself out of your funk.

Like Leighton and John said, go pick yourself up a 50mm f/1.8 AI or AIS (they can be found for around $50 or less) and come hang out in the Manual Focus thread. There are so many people there that share an almost singular passion that it almost forces you to become a better photographer and energizes your fire for photography. I know it did for me. I have sold off all my AF gear and shoot only MF now. I love showing people a pic I took and say, this lens was made over 40 years ago and look at how sharp this image is!

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:34 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Depression, Gear, and Recovery

Good to hear you are getting in control.

I hope you find a path that keeps your heart and mind in sync with living passionately for the rest of you life.

Welcome back.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password