Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

As with any skill, there are a minority who do awesome work - and those tend to be the fulltimers because: it takes time to perfect a craft, and those with the innate talent are able to book enough to be fulltimers in the first place. As a part timer I've gone through years of apprenticeship with an industry pro, have good gear, and have been through enough weddings to know what brides are usually looking for. I am technically competent, but I know I am in a different league - a grade of C+/B- if you will. I price my services accordingly, so I don't think that I or other average photographers are directly harming the top-tier fulltimers - we're simply competing for a different category of customer.

However, the proliferation of bad photography from camera phones and bad photographers does tend to lower standards in general. The digital age also tends to de-emphasize traditional high profit items like prints and albums, which also decreases the perceived distinction between uncle bobs/amateurs and pros. Ultimately these factors combine to put downward pressure on the entire ecosystem.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Cameras are cheap. When SLR film cameras became cheap, professionals worried about the market then, too. It's a cycle.

At the end of the day, we express our passion and talk about ourselves in our meetings. We ask questions, and love to get to know our clients. Our love of wedding photography shines through, and so when I tell people about how we love this industry, and aren't going anywhere, confidence is built. That's one of our key selling points.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:54 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Inku Yo wrote:
Photography is the easiest part of being a professional photographer.

True that.

Also, Phtorph wrote: " I don't see how one can get a continuous income and make a decent living from just wedding photography because of how easy it is for others to enter this field."

When people wax nostalgic for the good old days, it must be remembered that even in the heyday of mom and pop studios in the '60s' and ''70's, very few full time professionals were making what would be considered a decent living nowadays. The ones I knew, even the most successful in the area, constantly struggled to pay their bills and lived in a lower middle class neighborhood.

The entry bar is indeed low. Some don't see this as a direct threat because they cater to a different marke, but I think the constant influx of ill prepared part timers does have a depressing effect on the wedding photography as a whole.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:22 PM
alexhophototog
• •
p.2 #4 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

unfortunately, the barrier to entry for wedding photography is relatively easy regardless of the quality of work.

clients cant usually ask their uncle bob to be their dentist or chiropractor, etc.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Marici Photo
• •
p.2 #5 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Inku Yo wrote:

Inku Couldn't have said it better.

And I'd also like to point out... for the person charging half the price.. they also have to shoot twice as many weddings as you to meet the same level of income. BUT they have fulltime jobs which means they have less than 1/4th of the time you do.

I've been freelancing for over 6 years while maintaining a fulltime job at a dot-com. Yes there are many fish in the sea, the ones who survive are the ones who are constantly fighting to get better and evolving with the customers needs. Long time ago I had a mom-pop studio owner call me (He was clearly drunk mid afternoon) and just go on a rant about how 'kids' like me were taking away his business. Well, I'm not going to take blame for someone liking my work..my art more than his. Today - the mass population would prefer artistic/edited/creative wedding photography over 'average' pics... and that isn't learnt overnight. Its years of hard work. Testing, trying new tools. New techniques. All this while having a fulltime job. So yes I deserve every bit of being in this market.

Your years of experience should show in your work and as well as should in your pricing. If you're content just using auto on the DSLR using an 18-55mm lens, shoot in jpeg, push straight to DVD - sure by all means you can charge $500/wedding.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM
simplelogik

p.2 #6 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

I work in Oil & Gas exploration but do wedding photography for the free meal

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Back in the day trying to get an education in wedding photography was very hard.

Now all one has to do is surf a few blogs. Most wedding photography is identical so it is very easy to pick up.

If you have a product to sell to photographers thos is a great thing. The more photographers the more sales so the industry encourages it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Photorph wrote: But to all the full-time wedding photographers who are doing this for a living, does it not make you nervous that the average Joe with another job can become a wedding photographer and basically get to the same point where you are?

Tony Hoffer wrote: Sort of. But as someone who has done both things, I don't think that a part-timer is able to easily offer the same level of service as a full-timer... even if their work is just as good.

I think Tony is absolutely correct. For example, some aspects of client care and feeding -- such as development of a full-range of branded materials -- are things I simply don't have the time to put together, and when I see other photographers who have these things, their value is quite apparent. A full-time photographer devoted to doing everything to differentiate his business can create a client experience that is richer than what I can provide. I work hard to treat my clients very well, to make them feel valued, but I don't have the same bandwidth for the polishing that a full-time photographer does.

Another way this is true is the manner in which constant shooting improves both your photography and also your visibility. I can't be out there shooting every day, or even every week. A full-timer can, and should, because his development moves faster, and the more work you show, the more work you get.

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:50 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.2 #9 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Everyone can buy some pots, pans and a knife and start cooking, but do you call them a chef?

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

cordellwillis wrote:
Also look at many magazine covers today; the images are often horrendous

Thatīs so true and such a pity as it may draw the line for many consumers as quality reference.

Jaime

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:09 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Inku Yo wrote:

True

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:13 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #12 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

Inku Yo wrote:

+1 Inku is completely right about this piece.

I'm a full time photographer but not a full time wedding photographer. I'm technically competent, earn my W2 for shooting commercial, and then when I'm not doing that, I'm developing wedding photography business and shooting with other local photographers. While I do have a young family, photography I figured out is more of a lifestyle. wedding photography is what I prefer to shoot just for the challenge, the emotion, and the sheer enjoyment of weddings. The money component of it also isn't bad so that's probably why people become wedding photographers.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Eric_M_Klein

p.2 #13 · Why is everyone a wedding photographer these days??

To build a successful photography business one needs to be excellent at all aspects of running any business including the marketing, management, and finance of the business as well as the tools, techniques, materials, and education to be a good photographer. To run a hobby all you need is a budget, desire, and time. It is easy to enter photography hobby with the hope that the occasional wedding and portraits will pay for the toys and reading forums, attending seminars, doing discount weddings, and reading books will make you a good photographer. Some of us are still trying to pay for our hobby, in the mean time the full time job is a lot less stressful and more profitable (for me) than trying to run the business side of photography.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password