Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

under1630
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Anakha,

Very nice set. You definitely have the timing down and your composition and shutter speed along with DOF are fine. My only question is whether you had a Polarizing filter for the lens? I think your shots would have benefited greatly with something to soften the harsh light.

Jon

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:35 AM
shad0w19

p.2 #2 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Great series!! My favorite is the first shot.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:52 PM
jspytek
• •
p.2 #3 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

You start of making a point I almost started another post with "....Unless you have a press pass, you can't take a lens with a focal length exceeding 200mm into the tournament...had my 2x III TC attached, which the rules don't prohibit (yet)...."

I don't understand this. I had the exact same problem with a local venue when I wanted to shoot some preseason hockey. They said nothing over 200mm. I thought to myself the 200 2.8 cost twice as much as the lens I'm showing you AND I could just add a 2x to the 200mm and get great shots. You have basically proven my point with these excellent shots.

So my question is, is the 200mm max "normal" at professional sports venues or does it vary from place to place?

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:31 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.2 #4 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Nice set of pics. My only comment is that the crops in many seem too loose. Its hard sometimes to determine where to crop when you don't have the whole body but I try to avoid cropping near the knees at any cost and just cut at the waist or just below if that's what I have to work with. Jelana really has some guns as depicted in #12 and several others!

Thanks for posting!

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:47 PM
RKuebel
• •
p.2 #5 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Despite the slower frame rate, you did a great job with the ball.
The camera did well with sharpness and color.
Overall, inspiring job. Very impressive!

Rick

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anakha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Thanks Jon,

Unfortunately, the Canon 200mm F2.0 lens does not accept front filters. Otherwise, I would have used my Lee Filter system on it.

I perhaps could have put a gel filter in the back, but that would have been difficult to put at the correct angle for polarising the light given the sun moves over the course of the day.

Anakha

under1630 wrote:
Anakha,

Very nice set. You definitely have the timing down and your composition and shutter speed along with DOF are fine. My only question is whether you had a Polarizing filter for the lens? I think your shots would have benefited greatly with something to soften the harsh light.

Jon

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
anakha
• •
p.2 #7 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Jspytek,

There were quite a few press photogs using the 200mm F2.0, with some 300 and 400mm lenses. If you are mid-court only a couple of metres from the net, you don't really need more than 200mm for full frame. If you want to focus just on a facial expression, then the longer reach is handy.

I think the max length they'll let you take into a professional event is likely to vary depending upon the type of sport and how closely packed the spectators are.

Anakha

jspytek wrote:
You start of making a point I almost started another post with "....Unless you have a press pass, you can't take a lens with a focal length exceeding 200mm into the tournament...had my 2x III TC attached, which the rules don't prohibit (yet)...."

I don't understand this. I had the exact same problem with a local venue when I wanted to shoot some preseason hockey. They said nothing over 200mm. I thought to myself the 200 2.8 cost twice as much as the lens I'm showing you AND I could just add a 2x to the 200mm and get great shots.
...Show more

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM
anakha
• •
p.2 #8 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Thanks for the suggestions, Pattywatty.

Many of these photos are uncropped. I would have much preferred to have sat in the press area and had a chance for a better angle, but I was limited as to what I could do from the public bleachers.

Anakha

pattywatty wrote:
Nice set of pics. My only comment is that the crops in many seem too loose. Its hard sometimes to determine where to crop when you don't have the whole body but I try to avoid cropping near the knees at any cost and just cut at the waist or just below if that's what I have to work with. Jelana really has some guns as depicted in #12 and several others!

Thanks for posting!

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
anakha
• •
p.2 #9 · Australian Open Tennis 2013 - Round Two Day 1

Thanks Rick!

Anakha

RKuebel wrote:
Despite the slower frame rate, you did a great job with the ball.
The camera did well with sharpness and color.
Overall, inspiring job. Very impressive!

Rick

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password