FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Alan Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

One more vote for the newest 24-120. It is a very versatile lens and served me well on a trip to France.

Alan

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Jason Kim
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I visited same places you mentioned in December. I used only 2 lenses on D3s. 16-35 and 28-300. 90% of shots were taken with 28-300. Most of shots could be taken with either 24-70 or 24-120. Perhaps 24-120 is better since it has VR and lighter.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:52 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Have more kids, wait for them to grow up enough, stick a lens in each of their backpacks. Voila... a more flexible camera kit, courtesy of your own genetically-engineered Sherpas. That gets you a 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, and a 24/1.4, plus a couple of speedlights.

+1. . Thanks also to sandycrane and tehboogeymay for posting cool pics!

If you're really going to do one lens, it would all depend on your shooting style, in which case your past is your future.

If I had to do only one lens on an FX camera, it would be a hard decision, but it would probably be a 5x f/1.x (50 1.8, 58 1.4 Voightlander, 40mm Voightlander, or a Zeiss, depending on my budget and how much I like the lens). Way too useful, IMO, for street photography and general photography. However, I would do my utmost to also bring my choice of 135mm lens (lots of good choices here at several budgets) or maybe a 105mm Macro lens, and then a 24mm lens (or wider) (equally useful for street photography as well as general walk around, IMO). Tuscan landscapes, IMO, really want a 70-200 tele zoom as well.

Reality is, I would not personally take full frame were I to go again, I'd take my Olympus EM-5 (in body VR) and essentially the same set up (25mm Voghtlander, 60mm Olympus, 12mm Olympus, and then a tele zoom).

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I agree that traveling without a backup lens is a mistake.
I would take my D800 + 14-24 +28-300.
Most of what I missed last time was indoors, so I would be using14mm a lot.

I would also take the V1 as a "backup" camera

Edited on Jan 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
chefboyarlee
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I traveled all through southeast asia with a D700, small nikon 20 and an 85 1.4G. Perfect small setup although the 85 1.8 would have been great too.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

on travel trips I soon 2 lenses - the exceptional 16-35, and the handy 28-330 (not exceptional but still good glass). if it were only one - then the 28-300.
I find nothing wanting in this combination.
have fun.

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:48 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

BenV wrote:
An ultra zoom or a 35 prime

35/2 for sure. It's pretty much all I use during weddings and personal work with my D700.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I agree that you really can't do Italy justice on just one lens. Of course you don't want to detract from your partner's enjoyment but you also don't want to be constantly regretting not bringing just one more lens just for the sake of an extra kg in your pocket !

I'm off to NZ soon (not exactly the same re. interiors but externally lots of wide vistas so wide lenses needed) so for street scenes, portraits, interiors and the vistas it's Zeiss 21/2.8 and 35/2, these are two stunning lenses and the beauty of them is that they reach infinity at around 2-4m so virtually no MFing required, just rotate to infinity and shoot away (do be sure that when you buy you ensure that infinity really is at the limit of the aperture ring and not a fraction before, some of the lenses seem to focus past infinity, though this could be a camera/lens pairing issue. I had to try a couple both times to get one that hard stopped at infinity on my D800).

The 24-120 VR sounds like a great alternative but I'd still take one of the Zeiss' !

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:50 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

There is nothing that says you "have" to use a zoom or "have" to use a prime. Both types can be put to great use. A zoom will yield easy composition in more cases than a prime. A prime can be a faster and better lens.
My suggestion: if what matters most to you is the bring back as many good pics as possible to remember the experience, bring a zoom such as 24-120. If what matters most to you is to bring back pics that take your breath away, and not mind that you don't have as many as you might have, bring a prime.
My vote: a 35mm f:1.4 prime is all I need. There aren't that many super-wide opportunities in Italy, especially on a holiday, where there will be other holidaymakers as well. That doesn't mean that there aren't any, just not that many IMHO, and I have been there dozens of times. On the other hand, there is no way I would pass up shooting inside churches and buildings, where by and large tripods and flash are no-nos, so f:1.4 is it. Take you pick from Nikon, Sigma or Zeiss.
Either way, have fun!
And, because this is a photo forum after all, one example with a 50mm prime (Zeiss Z* 50 f:1.4)

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:16 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

For sure if you can carry and store the huge 14-24 you have room for another lens-if only the tiny, super IQ, Voitlander 40mm F2.0 (other examples spring to mind). Better yet mount that lens on a back up DSLR (even if you leave it in the hotel). Murphy's law rules.

When I went to Europe 2 years ago I took a Canon 5D with 15mm FE/17 TSE and a D3s with 24-70. Today I would take my D800e 14-24, 40mm F2.0 (mostly for oil paintings in museums) and 24-70. My backup would be the 5D with the 40mm (on an EOS adapter), 17TSE and the 15FE.

I don't really want/need long teles because my people pictures are either of groups or singles with the BG established. So either get up close or want to get the whole scene. My favorite walk around lens is often a Fish Eye that I can de-Fish-or not.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

Looking at the gear I have in my bag --- I have the 24-70.... that would have to be my go to lens, if I could only take 1 lens with me.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
noirist

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

I think you have to decide what you want to take pictures of in order to choose the appropriate lens. Personally, when I'm on vacation, I want to take pictures that remind me of the vacation. So mostly pictures of my family with some context, which means 35mm, and both indoors and out, which means at least f2.8 on a full frame sensor. That will also cover the food photography, to remind me of the special meals we enjoyed. I would consider the 24-70mm f2.8 since it is good at 35mm and fast enough for indoor photography but it is cumbersome and heavy. So if I could only take a full frame sensor with one lens, I would probably take the Sony RX-1

If there's room for more lenses, I would consider a small macro (like the Nikon 60mm f2.8, which can double as a portrait lens) because my family likes to spot strange new insects on vacation and a landscape lens (top pick would be the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 with a tabletop tripod) but that's only if I thought the trip would allow some patient landscape photography.

I definitely wouldn't bring the 24-120mm f4 because it is too slow for low light and I am never happy with the image quality even in bright light. I wouldn't bring a telephoto lens because seeing distant things close up isn't part of my vacation experience, unless we were vacationing in a wildlife sanctuary.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
roland hale
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

When I have to pick one lens, I don't hesitate in choosing the 24-70. That said, for travel, I'd be more likely to use a 35 prime because of size/formality.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:58 PM
ronno
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

One lens? Why go the trouble (and expense) of international travel, and only one lens?
What if that lens goes wonky on you? (or you drop it and it stops working?)

Are you only bringing one pair of underwear?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Nijay
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · One FX lens for Italy - Rome/Tuscany

ronno wrote:
One lens? Why go the trouble (and expense) of international travel, and only one lens?
What if that lens goes wonky on you? (or you drop it and it stops working?)

Are you only bringing one pair of underwear?

Not sure I could enjoy my vacation with only one pair of underwear (nor do I want to try) but I sure as hell will still enjoy my vacation if my camera stops working.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:24 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.