Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What 35 mm prime ?

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What 35 mm prime ?

Daan B wrote:
What DOF challenges How close are you if you are getting one eye in focus at 35mm? The 35mm focal length (on FF that is) is best used for full body shots and groupshots IMO. If used like that, the subject is in focus, while the BG is not. It would be the last lens I use for tight 'one eye in focus' portraiture. Of course YMMV

OK, as you say YMMV. Here are typical examples of what I use it for (all with the 35L, all of my kids):

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What 35 mm prime ?

AGeoJO wrote:
You are off base, if you are referring to the AF (speed and) accuracy. There are reports of AF inaccuracies under artificial lighting conditions of the Sigma. Although I do not own the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 but I experienced that first hand using the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Optically, it may be or actually, is better than the Canon counterpart, which is a 14-year old design.

I have owned both those lenses. Speed is about the same. Accuracy is much better with my Sigma. The IQ is way better with the Sigma, especially at large apertures. Colour and colour fringing is much better with the Sigma. Bokeh is a little bit nicer with the Sigma (IMO)

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:27 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What 35 mm prime ?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have owned both those lenses. Speed is about the same. Accuracy is much better with my Sigma. The IQ is way better with the Sigma, especially at large apertures. Colour and colour fringing is much better with the Sigma. Bokeh is a little bit nicer with the Sigma (IMO)

Since you participated in this thread :http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180311/4 then you know what I am referring to. Seriously, Lars, have you use your Sigma lens indoors under different than daylight spectrum-wise such as under artificial lighting conditions? I really would like to get a Sigma but this potential nagging issue makes me think twice or three times even.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What 35 mm prime ?

AGeoJO wrote:
Since you participated in this thread :http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180311/4 then you know what I am referring to. Seriously, Lars, have you use your Sigma lens indoors under different than daylight spectrum-wise such as under artificial lighting conditions? I really would like to get a Sigma but this potential nagging issue makes me think twice or three times even.

Yes one person wrote that. And he still liked the Sigma and will keep that lens. I have used it both indoors and outdoors.
I did that only 7-8 hours ago here in Bangkok. And it's not like we never have had one person saying the AF or something else didn't work good in his 35L.Every test and review I have been reading say the Sigma is great and a better lens than the 35L. And it's also a lot cheaper

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What 35 mm prime ?

Eyvind Ness wrote:
OK, as you say YMMV. Here are typical examples of what I use it for (all with the 35L, all of my kids):

Yes, I would hesistate to use a 35mm for shots like that. Furthermore, I would not use a wide aperture for capturing moving little children (I have one myself). Especially not when used up-close, with AI Servo and/or on the 5D2. I highly doubt the lens is to blame when focus is not spot on under these circumstances. But it sounds like you have a similar experience

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:33 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What 35 mm prime ?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes one person wrote that. And he still liked the Sigma and will keep that lens. I have used it both indoors and outdoors.
I did that only 7-8 hours ago here in Bangkok. And it's not like we never have had one person saying the AF or something else didn't work good in his 35L.Every test and review I have been reading say the Sigma is great and a better lens than the 35L. And it's also a lot cheaper

"Cheaper" is easily and universally understood, although personally, I wouldn't use that adjective . "Better" is more subjective.

Yes, one person reported that weird behavior but apparently a few others noticed similar issues with their Sigma. Who knows whether it is isolated or widespread and depending on the tolerance level, he or she may want to put up with that quirk or get a Canon lens. I am not married to Canon and I am not against Sigma. Frankly, if know that I could get a Sigma lens without that quirk, I would jump on it. I just hate the potential hassle of buying, returning, and trying out another one, etc.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What 35 mm prime ?

If you're not having focusing / lighting AF variances I could see the Sigma being "better". I still have my 2nd copy and haven't shipped it back to the seller yet.

I have had lots of problems with both copies (Sigma 35) and AF being off depending on the distance from subject and the lighting conditions.

My 35 L will be here tomorrow. Used it was $100 more than the Sigma.

There's more to a lens than absolute sharpness too - AF accuracy, contrast, bokeh, colors, AF speed, etc.

So I will be able to shoot both this weekend and can give a more honest opinion.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:10 PM
didierv
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What 35 mm prime ?

Shield wrote:
If you're not having focusing / lighting AF variances I could see the Sigma being "better". I still have my 2nd copy and haven't shipped it back to the seller yet.

I have had lots of problems with both copies (Sigma 35) and AF being off depending on the distance from subject and the lighting conditions.

My 35 L will be here tomorrow. Used it was $100 more than the Sigma.

There's more to a lens than absolute sharpness too - AF accuracy, contrast, bokeh, colors, AF speed, etc.

So I will be able to shoot both this weekend and can give a more
...Show more

Thanks would be very interested to know your findings.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:32 PM
jolson72
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What 35 mm prime ?

The only issues that worries me about Sigma are the focus issues, quality control and the longevity / quality of construction. Is it really as good as Canon L lenses?

In my opinion, a huge reason to buy Canon L lenses is resale. You can buy a 35/1.4 for $1100, use it for 3 - 4 years, and if you keep it very clean and with no wear, it is still worth about $1100 years later.

As much as I would like to support Sigma, Canon is a known long term, well made lens manufacturer.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:46 PM
c00kiem0nster
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What 35 mm prime ?

i would get me the sigma. as a matter of fact i am saving for it.
it will nicely complement my sigma 50 1.4 with which i have not had a single problem on three different camera bodies.
having had the great experiences with sigma lenses (i also owned a superbly well sigma 17-70) and seeing the recent reviews of their 35 i do not see any reason why not to stay with my lens manufacturer of choice.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sfcyclist

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What 35 mm prime ?

gdanmitchell wrote:
+1 :-)

(Though I'm fond of the old EF 35mm f/2 non-IS lens.)

If money isn't a factor, would that be the case? My copy of the original f2 I found soft wide open where as the 35L is excellent at f2.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 08:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:44 PM
sfcyclist

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What 35 mm prime ?

Shield wrote:

Good info and that was my concern as well before buying the 35L. I use mine to for kid photos and fast AF is key! So far very happy THOUGH I have not tried a Sigma. NTL, Canon 35L maybe be dated but it's proven.

Then for the 35 F2 IS, I didn't go that route as my kid are way too fast for that to help!

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:52 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What 35 mm prime ?

Eyvind Ness wrote:
(DOF challenges - which eye would you like to have in focus?)

Always the eye that is closest to the camera of course!

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:02 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What 35 mm prime ?

Shot a birthday party last week in poor restaurant lighting using no flash and the old Canon 1.4 did great. Shot everything but group shots at 1.4. From what I am seeing the new Sigma has better IQ at 1.4, but hearing of the AF inconsistencies is one of those things that makes you go hmmmm. (C&C Music Factory 1991)

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:14 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What 35 mm prime ?

The 35 f2 wouldn't give me the low light performance and low DOF I need.
The Sigma, while looking really good in terms of sharpness, still has to prove itself long term and in focusing. Also, I can't send it into Canon CPS and have it back in a week, fixed.
So I'd do what I did - choose the 35L.

For less demanding photography than weddings, the Sigma is a great option though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:19 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What 35 mm prime ?

I was told from my regular store that the price of the new 35mm f/2.0 has declined somewhat..... Not enough for me to jump on it right away since at this point, I am not too anxious to get a 35mm prime lens. I will wait several more weeks and I will revisit this again. I hope that either the price of the Canon 35mm f/2.0 IS has dropped more or that the dust has settled around the Sigma by then. Time will tell.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM
robinlee
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What 35 mm prime ?

If I wanted to buy a 35mm prime and having use the Canon 35mmL lens which didn't have that WoW impact factor to me, I probably go for Sigma 35mm it just look as sexy as the Zeiss

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What 35 mm prime ?

If you're doing this in order to purchase the lens for yourself, I'd like to ask what you shoot most and your intentions for the lens, and budget. I think they all have their place.

Personally, for me, Sigma!

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What 35 mm prime ?

robinlee wrote:
If I wanted to buy a 35mm prime and having use the Canon 35mmL lens which didn't have that WoW impact factor to me, I probably go for Sigma 35mm it just look as sexy as the Zeiss

I don't buy lenses for how they look. Accurate autofocus is very important though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Shield
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What 35 mm prime ?

One other thing about the Sigma I've noticed - I'm just not in love with the colors. Lots of pics I've taken just seem very dark to me; even with the vignetting compensation set to 200% in lightroom. I don't know what it is; we'll see if it's just my imagination when I test the 35L.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password