Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Should I split my website into two?

timn421

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Should I split my website into two?

Hi all,
For the the last couple of year's I've been shooting theatre and stage performances in my city (population 500K) as well as headshots/portraits of actors/musicians. I really like the exposure it has given me and the work, although it is usually not very lucrative.

I'm also doing senior portraits, weddings, and engagements.

I've been trying to decide if I should split up my website into two different sites. One site, strictly relating to theatre and stage performance, since I have a large portfolio for this. The other site just for weddings/engagements, which I'm still building a portfolio for.

I like the idea of splitting them up, as it seems to target towards a more specific audience and maybe attain a more 'expert' status. I'm known fairly well for working with stage and theatre. However, my portfolio is still small for weddings/engagments, less then 10 weddings last year.

Options

1) have one main site with a landing page that goes to two different sites (weddings or stage/theatre) (bad for SEO?)

2) have one main site containing seperate menus: theatre, perforance, weddings, portraits.

3) have one main site containing seperate menus: theatre, performance, weddings - that contain links that go to different websites.

4) two different sites.

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #2 · Should I split my website into two?

I think you can house both endeavors under one site. Since theater has been the most lucrative, I'd make that the main site, with a section dedicated to weddings.

I would then make the first page of wedding a beautiful faux-landing page, and within that, have gallery, contact, and bio links about you as a wedding photographer as well.

I wouldn't just treat the wedding link off the main site as just a gallery. Would seem random to site visitors. Posture it as a major business for you.

This way, it will seem like a professional subsidiary of your major business (theater), and not some, "By the way, I also shoot weddings now and then" approach.

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:40 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Should I split my website into two?

Brides have a one track mind. All that think about are weddings. You will need to show weddings on the home page to keep them interested. Do same for stage. Have good content for both sides and the SEO is not an issue. I think you can mix portraits,wedding and stage. If you wanted to push product and commercial then I feel weddings is a negative and would require another site.

If you make it look like a 'landing' page then it will be an issue as Google is on a hunt to get rid of them. As you know or maybe don't know all the SEO will be from your G+ profile,Video profiles,Your Authority and well rounded mix of backlinks. The dual page is really better as it allows more diverst set of links that Google wants, at least for this month. Next month or year who knows.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:54 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Should I split my website into two?

As a professional wedding photographer I can tell you that brides do not want to see anything but wedding work on their photographer's website. It could be that your wedding work is not as developed because potential customers don't see you as a real wedding photographer.

I would recommend breaking it up. Two separate sites dedicated to each of the specialties, and separate Facebook Fan and Google+ Places pages to support the sites. This is what I did with my wedding and NGO businesses -- it just makes it easier to show specialization and to promote the work of each.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
timn421

p.1 #5 · Should I split my website into two?

Thanks for the feedback.

After sleeping on it, I think I will split up stage/performance and weddings onto two different sites.

I do enough stage work to continually blog and post updates so the site will be fresh.

The problem is that I don't shoot enough weddings yet to keep a site only about weddings. I may have to add portrait work and family to the wedding site as well.

I think I would eventually like to have an exclusive wedding only site.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password