Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

sozypozy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I think the CR V is a great choice!

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.4 #2 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

So this is the GMC Yukon Denali XL. It's a honking big car. It's a great way to cart people around especially the B&G, it's got a DVD system so you can continue to market them while they are riding, it's got a stupid large cargo hold so all of your lighting gear, photo gear, video gear, and backups can travel with you. The trunk opens via remote for easy handling of gear, it's got four wheel drive (and seats 35), and it's got navigation so you know where you're going. If you need more cargo room, you just remove the 3rd row of seats and you can probably fit an entire production studio in there. Like their commercials say: It's Professional Grade (for professional photographers =p).

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.4 #3 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

1995 Toyota Tercel here. I can wring out up to 50 mpg highway in the summer, and I'm at around 192k miles and counting. Also easy to work on; just changed the oil tonight. Hoping to drive it to 300k.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:09 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.4 #4 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

form wrote:
I am curious how many of you own your vehicles and don't have to make payments?...not an insult, but I am curious since a big chunk of this world is a credit and mortgage and lease system now for everyone who doesn't make close to $1m+ annually.

I'll never buy a car I can't pay for in cash. My Tercel cost less than my used D700. There's a lot of social pressure to keep up appearances, but if you can ignore it, you can save a lot of money.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.4 #5 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

We have a Jeep Wrangler & a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 4wd which is necessary often if you want to shoot weddings in IA between Nov-April, back is all carpet so NOTHING to scratch (even with light-stand bags I scratched my previous H3 to death in the back with our gear!) Dec mpg, fun to drive, affordable and always fun to take the tops off! (That's what she said.)

For us they have been just awesome for photography, couldn't say enough nice things about our Jeeps. [:

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.4 #6 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

How much stuff are you carrying for your wedding shoots that you need an SUV to carry them?

I'm a rotorhead. Always have and always will. I can carry all my gear in the RX-8's trunk with room to spare.

But on crappy day we take the Mazda6 estate.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Guess I'm the only one here that drives a Lincoln, which, when pulling up to weddings at country clubs and such, fits in a little better. It's an Aviator (the smaller version of a Navigator, same body as a Ford Explorer).. crappy mileage (16 mpg) but mega comfy. Loads of space in the back.

FWIW, I was able to fit my entire wedding kit in the trunk of a Mustang, so space is not that big of a deal WRT cars.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:27 PM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.4 #8 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I'm with the no-debt crew... my last couple cars were bought with cash, and that's how it will be from now on.

I drove a Jetta for a few years and loved it; never had any problems carrying gear.

I sold that when I left my day job for photography so we could pay off my wife's Santa Fe.
I bought a '97 Civic for cheap and I'll drive that for the foreseeable future... paint, wheels, and slight drop coming soon.

Cell phone pic until it looks a little better.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:28 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

JakeB. wrote:
I'm with the no-debt crew... my last couple cars were bought with cash, and that's how it will be from now on.

I drove a Jetta for a few years and loved it; never had any problems carrying gear.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4042/4423502055_382f0b5489_o.jpg

I sold that when I left my day job for photography so we could pay off my wife's Santa Fe.
I bought a '97 Civic for cheap and I'll drive that for the foreseeable future... paint, wheels, and slight drop coming soon.

c'mon Jake... you know that civic needs a swap.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.4 #10 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

JakeB. wrote:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4042/4423502055_382f0b5489_o.jpg

I had a 99.5 Jetta VR6. Neuspeed exhaust, sport springs... loved it. Unitl I bought an A4 1.8TQS and chipped it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Manzelle
• •
p.4 #11 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Mini Cooper, more storage than you might think.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:14 PM
spink
• • •
p.4 #12 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

tobicus wrote:
I'll never buy a car I can't pay for in cash. My Tercel cost less than my used D700. There's a lot of social pressure to keep up appearances, but if you can ignore it, you can save a lot of money.

My second car is a 91 tercel. It was gifted to me by my parents, and my grandmother was the original owner. I just rolled the ODO 100,000 KM. haha. Runs like a top, will seen another 200,000km easy. I think my 3 year old son might get it in 13 years.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:08 AM
swoop
• • •
p.4 #13 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I've never photographed my car full of equipment but it holds a good amount. I mean, any car with fold down rear seats should work just fine. Photo equipment tends to be lengthy, backgrounds, tripods, lightstands. It's not really awkward shaped and most stuff fits in bags the size of carry on luggage or a gym bag.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:05 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I may or may not have purchased a motorcycle to ride to client meetings...
and it is SOOOO on brand

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:20 AM
skiboarder72
• •
p.4 #15 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I have a Porsche 911 that I bring to select weddings... the front trunk fits my think tank camera bag perfectly!

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.4 #16 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I wish I had your problems...
I have a Fiat Panda

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:34 PM
bthatton
• • •
p.4 #17 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

I'm leasing a VW Tiguan. Holds all my stuff and is relatively fun to drive. You can get them loaded up with enough options and 19" wheels to trick you in to thinking its a nicer car than it is. (Until you get into your client's BMW X5 and you're like...... Oh)

But, the Tig is well built and you can get it with Awd if you need it. There is talk of the diesel version coming to the states which could be interesting. For now it's just the 2.0T gasser which you can chip if you're so inclined.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:53 PM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.4 #18 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Inku Yo wrote:
I had a 99.5 Jetta VR6. Neuspeed exhaust, sport springs... loved it. Unitl I bought an A4 1.8TQS and chipped it.

Yeah, I was running about 16 lbs of boost and had the FMIC / 3" exhaust... I would definitely move out. I recall keeping up with a CLS63 AMG on the interstate.
I sure as crap miss the power having moved down to a stock Civic

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.4 #19 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

Paid for MINI Cooper. As long as you pack it right there is plenty of room in it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.4 #20 · OT (kind of): What car for a wedding photog???

spink wrote:
My second car is a 91 tercel. It was gifted to me by my parents, and my grandmother was the original owner. I just rolled the ODO 100,000 KM. haha. Runs like a top, will seen another 200,000km easy. I think my 3 year old son might get it in 13 years.

Definitely doable. I expect to hit 200,000 miles by this time next year, and the highest Tercel I've read of online had 422,000 miles and was still going.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password