Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

micla

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

RichardLavigne wrote:
hmmm... funny, no one has listed the knot. hahahaha

I just did. While I have 0% success rate from the inquiries directly from the site. A couple of my brides said they found me on The Knot or sister site Wedding Channel.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Jim wrote: I did my first bridal show in August. I booked 7 weddings from that show. I did my second show the first weekend in January. So far I've booked four weddings from it. Yes, I believe that bridal shows work. But they don't work for everyone. Some photographers I spoke with complained that they hardly ever book a wedding from a show.

Jim, any theories about what the dividing line is? I suspect pricing is a factor, plus of course sales ability. I'm wondering whether certain business approaches, and/or certain photographic styles, are better suited to bridal shows than others.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

TTLKurtis wrote:
Strip clubs
Illegal poker games
Strip clubs

So instead of chips, do you use products/services on your end and your potential client uses something else?

Client (marketing genius) - I'll start off bidding with my book "Search Engines for Idiots"

You - I'm in. I'm putting in a $100 print credit

Client - I'll see your print credit and raise you a 3 hours mentoring session.

You - I'll see your bet, and I'll raise you with a KISS 40 page wedding album

Client - Alright, lets see what you got. Loser has to join the girls on the pole since we're at a strip club.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Seems to me the loser is not the one who has to join the girl on the pole, and but the one who has to watch the other one on the pole.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:17 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

If I don't book something I may end up on a pole.

Serious answer.... Wedding Planners, other photographers, and distant third is Google.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:41 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Ian Ivey wrote:
Jim wrote:

Jim, any theories about what the dividing line is? I suspect pricing is a factor, plus of course sales ability. I'm wondering whether certain business approaches, and/or certain photographic styles, are better suited to bridal shows than others.

Ian,
From what I can tell, those who have success at booking weddings from bridal shows have three things:

Personality
Powerful images that stand out from the crowd
Follow up

I watched a husband and wife photography team a few booths down from me "work" the crowd at the show last August. He was out there talking to brides, while she stood like a tree in the back of the booth, rarely ever talking to anyone. He later complained to me that "they never book weddings from a show". I wanted to tell him that his wife (and his lack luster images) might be the problem.

I also spoke with another husband and wife team who said that they routinely book 7-10 weddings from each show. They are both outgoing, friendly people, their photos are good but nothing that really stands out, but she follows up with all the brides they chat with.

As for me, I never do any kind of follow up. Too lazy I suppose. However I do have powerful images, a rather unique booth and my warm, enchanting smile. Ok, maybe that's stretching it a bit, but my secret weapon is that I have a former bride who works my booth with me. She's the best sales person ever. She starts right out by telling potential clients that "I'm one of Jim's former brides and I don't work for him". I think that goes a long way with clients.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Yeah, Jim, I figured those things had to be a big part of it -- basically, good sales skills (both direct engagement and good closing moves), and a decent product. Your comment about the guy with mediocre images doing well suggests it's mainly the sales skills.

I am still curious about target market, though. For example, I wonder whether there's a certain price range that does well, and whether photographers far above or below that range don't do well. I also wonder whether certain photographic approaches do better than others at bridal shows. Tougher to put my finger on these factors.

Candice, lots of people put themselves through school that way, or so I hear, so don't despair. Maybe you and Kurtis could do a joint act.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:48 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Ian Ivey wrote:
Yeah, Jim, I figured those things had to be a big part of it -- basically, good sales skills (both direct engagement and good closing moves), and a decent product. Your comment about the guy with mediocre images doing well suggests it's mainly the sales skills.

I am still curious about target market, though. For example, I wonder whether there's a certain price range that does well, and whether photographers far above or below that range don't do well. I also wonder whether certain photographic approaches do better than others at bridal shows. Tougher to put my finger on
...Show more

One photographer I know of who use to do bridal shows down't anymore because his pricing is too high. He's in the $5000 and up range. I think most brides seem to be in the $2000-$5000 range.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TheGE
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

jcolman wrote:
I watched a husband and wife photography team a few booths down from me "work" the crowd at the show last August. He was out there talking to brides, while she stood like a tree in the back of the booth, rarely ever talking to anyone. He later complained to me that "they never book weddings from a show". I wanted to tell him that his wife (and his lack luster images) might be the problem.

I also spoke with another husband and wife team who said that they routinely book 7-10 weddings from each show. They are both outgoing,
...Show more

I have a hunch the difference between the first and the second are what's being said, and pricing, more than anything. Photos, as much as we'd like to think are what makes the difference, aren't as important a factor as we imagine. They serve to act as a ticket that gets us to speak with the bride.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

TheGE wrote:
I have a hunch the difference between the first and the second are what's being said, and pricing, more than anything. Photos, as much as we'd like to think are what makes the difference, aren't as important a factor as we imagine. They serve to act as a ticket that gets us to speak with the bride.

I totally agree.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

ckhagen wrote:
If I don't book something I may end up on a pole.

I would imagine the pay is better and the clients a lot less hassle. And very appreciative.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM
delsol9400
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

When you say google... do you mean adwords or just really good SEO. Can anyone really say they get a lot of business from adwords banners?

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

Google SEO is what I meant.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:56 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

For us,

Referrals (both by word of mouth and seeing the photos their friends (our brides) share on FB. This makes up about 80%

Facebook

Wedding Shows (getting to the point where they are not worth doing because we are all ready mostly booked for the year when they come. Might be dropping them altogether soon)

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:36 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

facebook
bridal showers
word of mouth

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Share the top 3 ways to promote your business

1. Carry a camera
2. Carry business cards
3. Shoot and share photos (even if its for free)

We are photographers, promotion is just natural. We are our own creative departments. There's promotion and there's marketing. Don't mix the two up. Promotion involves raising public awareness of your business and you. Best way to do that is to be out there shooting and letting people know you exist. Marketing involves both push and pull methods which is to communicate and exchange offerings to customers, clients, partners, and society (or something like that). Push marketing is to directly contact people for interest in your product/service. Pull marketing is advertisement (even free advertisement) and you reacting to what people need.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password