Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

For me a grib is a big relief when shooting in portrait orientation, but I suspect it might have something to do with me being left-handed. Without it, shooting in portrait orientation kinda puts an extra strain on my "bad" right hand, I would almost call it awkward for me.

Now I feel like Ned Flanders.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:55 PM
nalax

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Monito wrote:
Here is a page for a photo showing the hold

"Attractive photographer with big zoom lens..." that's quite a title...

Just as defining attractive is in the eyes of the beholder, the benefits of a grip/no grip is in the hands of the holder.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Chumma
• •
p.3 #3 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Just wondering. Do left-handed people find it uncomfortable holding a camera? It seems like unless there is a grip, the body design is meant for right-handed people and Canon (and Nikon) ignore left-handed people??

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:25 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Chumma wrote:
Just wondering. Do left-handed people find it uncomfortable holding a camera? It seems like unless there is a grip, the body design is meant for right-handed people and Canon (and Nikon) ignore left-handed people??

Yes, according to my left-handed wife, it is awkward with or without a grip.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

When using a 1 series and shooting a sequence all in portrait orientation, I use the vertical grip controls and find it very comfortable. When switching frequently between horizontal and vertical, I often keep my hand on the camera's "standard" grip and rotate as a unit (as Dan described).

Using a 5D series, I don't bother with a grip. I sometimes miss it because for horizontal shots (or verticals with a grip) I can keep both elbows close to my torso, aiding stability a bit compared to raising my right hand for a vertical, moving the elbow away from my body. For tripod work, I use L-brackets, and would see no point to the weight and bulk of a grip other than the closer match of lens placement when switching orientation. The best solution to that is lenses that have their own tripod rings.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:58 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

runamuck wrote:
For me, it's all about operator comfort. The grip makes it a lot easier to hold the camera in portrait orientation. Extended battery life doesn't even enter the equation.

+1

I actually carry 4 extra bats, 2 for my EOS-3 w/grip, 2 for my 40D w/grip, the extra bats are stored in a ThinkTank Battery Holder, as are cards in one blue and one orange pocket rocket...tell no one, they all fit nicely in my Domke F2's zippered top flap pocket; the bag is from 78.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Grip makes it a lot more comfortable to hold in in any orientation IMO. I'm still on the fence about grip for 5D III, but did get one for the 7D.
I'd love to see a body in size between 5D III and 1D's, with say max weight of 1kg.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'd love to see a body in size between 5D III and 1D's, with say max weight of 1kg.

That's very astute of you. I agree, in-between would seem about perfect.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:38 AM
GammyKnee

p.3 #9 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

nalax wrote:
Just as defining attractive is in the eyes of the beholder, the benefits of a grip/no grip is in the hands of the holder.

That's the bottom line. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't.

Must be tough for camera manufacturers to identify the "butter zone" for a body (and grip) that makes it comfortable to use for a sizable chunk of their intended market.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
ardvorak
• •
p.3 #10 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I use grips on both the 5D III and the 7D. The 5D III grip is a revelation. For me, this grip feels perfect in-hand, leaving the 7D grip to feel less so, but still more usable than without.

Iím a young guy with no arthritis, but I would still never be without them for the balance and portrait shooting aspects. Battery life is a distant consideration, but also plays into the decision. Sure, there are times that Iíll take the grips off, but they are few and far between.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:46 PM
wilt
• • •
p.3 #11 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

A second battery in the pocket is infinitely better than two batteries in a grip if you are shooting outdoors in very cold conditions...much better battery efficiency when warm, not cold.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

wilt wrote:
A second battery in the pocket is infinitely better than two batteries in a grip if you are shooting outdoors in very cold conditions...much better battery efficiency when warm, not cold.

In fact, when shooting in very cold weather, the in-camera battery loses heat quickly, and I find that it isn't a bad strategy to switch between the warm in-pocket battery and the cold one in the camera from time to time.

Dan

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password