Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Can you not find out from your own clients? I'm not discouraging the discussion or anything like that (hope it doesn't seem that way), it just appears the best way to find out if *your* client is interested in something is to ask them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
TheGE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Ian Ivey wrote:
The "rigid albums" again refers to the pages, not the bindings -- it's a reference to the 1/16"-or-thicker pages, such as flush-mount pages, which usually come along with higher quality bindings.

Like I wrote, "library bound." Library binding is an album stitch binding of photos mounted on a board of some kind whereas "flush mount" refers to the image extending to the edges of the page (it's flush to the edges) it's mounted on. So a "rigid album" would be a "flush mount library bound" if you were speaking to a book binder.

misty23 wrote:
That's what im trying to find out from other photographers. Are brides interested in this style of album at any cost.

Who's bride are you talking about? Because this would depend on the person, wouldn't it?

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:52 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #3 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:
Can you not find out from your own clients? I'm not discouraging the discussion or anything like that (hope it doesn't seem that way), it just appears the best way to find out if *your* client is interested in something is to ask them.

Well up to now, since they sit on a table with my higher end albums, brides of course want the nicer albums. I have not marketed them in the lower priced packages yet as wedding albums, only engagement albums. I only have engagement album samples for brides to view. And for engagement albums, they are fine with them. From talking to lower budget brides recently, they would like some alternative to the pricier albums.

Currently I do a traditional style, flush mount edge, 8x20 20 page single 8x10's per page album, self mount, black with a front window. Basic, but still nice. My feeling is the press album is more modern and something younger brides want ?

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:55 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #4 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

TheGE wrote:
Like I wrote, "library bound." Library binding is an album stitch binding of photos mounted on a board of some kind whereas "flush mount" refers to the image extending to the edges of the page (it's flush to the edges) it's mounted on. So a "rigid album" would be a "flush mount library bound" if you were speaking to a book binder.

Who's bride are you talking about? Because this would depend on the person, wouldn't it?

For those photographers who do sell these albums as wedding albums, how do you price them and are they requested by brides.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:57 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #5 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:
But is that what they want? Have the people interested in the lower packages expressed an interest in an album? I understand the idea, I'm just not entirely convinced - if it's the cheapest, it's the cheapest. Adding a book will ramp up the price - unless you're just doing it AT COST, which would be a waste of time.

The best advise I've had from here is to not worry about the competition, or "the other guy", focus on the client.

That's what I'm looking at, my clients, and whether I could provide an alternative wedding album to the pricier albums in the lower end.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

I sent you a PM.

I've sold cheaper books before, but they don't age well, and from my experience are far more likely to have issues from the printer (ie become time consuming). For the former reason, I don't believe they have the clients needs at mind long term (as they won't last).

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:19 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

I sell the traditional "bridal album" to the bride and groom most of the time (90%). The magazine style albums are usually relegated to the parents books. That said, if the couple wants an "album" for the parents as well and are willing to pay for it, I'm happy to provide them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

julieawhitlock
• •
p.2 #8 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

How about something along the lines of a finao play book?

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:48 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #9 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Met with a bride last night and went over the album differences. She said that the press album would be nice if she was paying for a small package, but not acceptable in my larger packages. She said she had many girlfriends who scrapbook and that they make these album online themselves.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM
spink
• • •
p.2 #10 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

misty23 wrote:
Do you carry both styles of albums and how do you sell them in terms
of quality, cost and worth to the client ? I carry both styles of albums
and I'm trying to push the magazine styles as they cost less for me.

Thank you.

We sell our flush-mount Finao albums as wedding albums only. We don't sell press print as wedding albums. We sell press print as engagement books, guest books or parental albums as add-ons to the main album. The reason we do this is durability. I can't in good faith sell a press print as a wedding album as it won't stand up over the years like a traditional album.

Since when do albums cost you lost? I thought that clients were suppose to pay for products? If there is a difference in cost due to type, you're not charging enough.

Spencer.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:20 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #11 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

misty23 wrote:
For those photographers who do sell these albums as wedding albums, how do you price them and are they requested by brides.

I price them according to perceived value. I don't attempt to sell them a la carte, I present them in a way that makes them a very attractive option. Brides may not specifically state the type of album they'd like but if they're putting serious money into this they're not going to accept press printed books.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:50 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #12 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

TheGE wrote:
I price them according to perceived value. I don't attempt to sell them a la carte, I present them in a way that makes them a very attractive option. Brides may not specifically state the type of album they'd like but if they're putting serious money into this they're not going to accept press printed books.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. There is a huge different between the two.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:00 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #13 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Most people charge a photography fee and then they give the pictures to the clients on a cd and the clients then choose and you can print the ones that they want.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password