Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · UWA for FF Nikon

Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · UWA for FF Nikon

Zeiss 15 is the best there is but from my brief time with it I think I remember it being as large and almost as heavy as a 14-24.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:03 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · UWA for FF Nikon

What? No love the Sigma 14mm f2.8D EX HSM?

-Quang

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · UWA for FF Nikon

The rokinon/samyang 14mm is sharper than the 14-24mm at 14(obviously) and runs the Zeiss pretty close. All at a price under 400 dollars. Have read that the distortion -- of mustache variety -- cleans up pretty well.

Add to that... the coma is better than the 14-24... making it a better night time landscape shooter. (shooting stars)

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · UWA for FF Nikon

ShutteredMe wrote:
What? No love the Sigma 14mm f2.8D EX HSM?

-Quang

I have this one (in Canon mount; I come from the Canon forum) but I thought the OP wanted something small and cheap, neither of which applies to this Sigma. I'm only using it on APS-H but it looks like the corners aren't getting really sharp at any aperture (maybe f/13ish... need to check). The center quality is great even at f/4.5ish. Mechanically it's awesome, AF is fast, silent and accurate. It flares a lot though. All in all a funky lens, even though pretty fun to use.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:44 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · UWA for FF Nikon

moonpeep wrote:
The rokinon/samyang 14mm is sharper than the 14-24mm at 14(obviously) and runs the Zeiss pretty close. All at a price under 400 dollars. Have read that the distortion -- of mustache variety -- cleans up pretty well.

Add to that... the coma is better than the 14-24... making it a better night time landscape shooter. (shooting stars)

Hi,
What program do you use to correct the mustache distortion of the 14mm. I have similar distortion with a Nikon 20mm/f2.8 that I would like to straighten out. Do you have any before/after samples? Thanks.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · UWA for FF Nikon

No experience with the Zeiss 15 or 18 but I did have a 21mm Distigon. Very nice lens, good resolution across the frame. But for a $1900 MF lens I was expecting to be blown away and I wasn't. Not the way I was with the Canon 70-200 2.8 ISII. ( I shoot Nikon now ) I'll never spend that much on a lens again, not just a UWA. I too would like to find a Tokina 17 but that's a shot in the dark. The search for a reasonably priced UWA continues unabated I guess.
Good luck.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:43 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · UWA for FF Nikon

Snopchenko wrote:
I have this one (in Canon mount; I come from the Canon forum) but I thought the OP wanted something small and cheap, neither of which applies to this Sigma. I'm only using it on APS-H but it looks like the corners aren't getting really sharp at any aperture (maybe f/13ish... need to check). The center quality is great even at f/4.5ish. Mechanically it's awesome, AF is fast, silent and accurate. It flares a lot though. All in all a funky lens, even though pretty fun to use.

The Sigma 14mm is about half the price of the Nikon 14mm. I'd picked one up for less than $400 in the B&S. It is pretty sharp and AF as well. Size is not that bad.

-Quang

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · UWA for FF Nikon

Whoa! It cost me almost double that sum with all the shipping and customs expenses. If it can be found at that price, it's a steal.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · UWA for FF Nikon

Sandycrane,
This is supposed to be the ticket for fixing the Samyang 14mm distortion. http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/. Haven't used it myself but have it bookmarked in case I get the lens, a distinct possibility.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:42 PM
boshek
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · UWA for FF Nikon

i bought the tokina 17-35 f4 for my d600/700.............darn nice and around $600

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bikemore

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · UWA for FF Nikon

I would try the Tokina 17-35 first.
Otherwise, a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AIS mf?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · UWA for FF Nikon

Steve Torelli wrote:
Sandycrane,
This is supposed to be the ticket for fixing the Samyang 14mm distortion. http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/. Haven't used it myself but have it bookmarked in case I get the lens, a distinct possibility.

Steve,
I'm impressed. That works remarkably well on the horrible complex (mustache) distortion of the Nikon 20/2.8. I'll have to see if it can overcome the default focal length downloaded from the exif. I often forget to change the manual lens settings on my D700.
I'm a believer!
Sandy.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:15 PM
tdong
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · UWA for FF Nikon

if you want cheap and best then Tamron 17 35 $200 used . now I have all the fantasy lens which I can't take any pictures as good as these since I can't go anywhere with the two kids

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · UWA for FF Nikon

ShutteredMe wrote:
The Sigma 14mm is about half the price of the Nikon 14mm. I'd picked one up for less than $400 in the B&S. It is pretty sharp and AF as well. Size is not that bad.

-Quang

I had a sigma 14mm 2.8 on my 5dmii and that lens was a HUGE disappointment. It was terribly soft and focusing was terrible.

Tamron and sigma offer a 14mm in the same price point. the sigma 15mm fisheye was a great lens the 14mm was a piece of junk in my opinion.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:28 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · UWA for FF Nikon

If 21mm is not too long the Zeiss 21 has fantastic IQ. I could also mention the Nikon 20mm/2.8 but it does have some issues.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · UWA for FF Nikon

Dpedraza wrote:
I had a sigma 14mm 2.8 on my 5dmii and that lens was a HUGE disappointment. It was terribly soft and focusing was terrible.

Tamron and sigma offer a 14mm in the same price point. the sigma 15mm fisheye was a great lens the 14mm was a piece of junk in my opinion.

I don't know how it is for the Canon version, but the one for Nikon is great on my D800e and D4. Yes, it is a little soft in the corners but from f5.6 to f10, it is very sharp.
Not sure what you mean by focusing was terrible. You mean it's slow?
Did you MA it against your D5 mk2?

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Avantia

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · UWA for FF Nikon

I've been impressed by the Samyang 14mm. For landscape it's near perfect.

The price is ridiculously low.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM
photosteph
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · UWA for FF Nikon

Has anyone tried the Tokina 10-17 fisheye NH ( no hood version ) on a FF body?

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · UWA for FF Nikon

Copy variation is obviously present, but this Samyang is nowhere close to as sharp as the 14-24mm The 14-24mm is an amazing lens gives the 15mm Zeiss a run.

http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:uwa-comparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

moonpeep wrote:

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:45 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · UWA for FF Nikon

I've been looking at the same problem for a few months now, and my reaction to the above suggestions goes like this:

Zeiss primes - in my too expensive compared to Rokinon saw side by side reviews and don't feel the difference is worth the extra coin
Nikon 14 - too expensive
Nikon 18mm - allegedly fuzzy on edges unless stopped down a lot, shows age, never a sharp performer, costs used more than a Rokinon 14
Rokinon/Samyang/Bowler 14 - front runner, but no filters unless you hack gel filters inside the body, not great at f2.8
Tokina 17 3.5 - interesting idea, like the size, need to find some samples and reviews on modern bodies
Nikon 14-24 - no filters, heavy, expensive but if money is no object and you don't carry gear into the backcountry like I do, yeah, the one and only UWA to have.
Nikon 17-35 - maybe
Zenitar, Sigma, Nikon MF fisheyes defished - don't like the results very much, plus my photoshop can't do it, so add a copy of DXO to the price. Do like the double use this allows, but when composing, you always see the fish world. I had a fisheye on my DX body - rarely used it.

I have a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and am very impressed by that lens. If their 14mm is the same caliber, and from what I have seen it does deliver, I think it'll be hard to beat for being truly ultra wide and under $400. If it doesn't perform, you can sell it on ebay next week for little loss. I sold a Rokinon 8mm DX fisheye recently that I picked up on ebay, and actually turned a profit. I was amazed at how active that auction was and how many views it got.

Meanwhile I keep shooting my trusty 20mm f3.5 Nikkor - fantastic lens for the $100 it was on ebay. Small, takes filters, sharp, solid. My need for a truly ultra wide has been curbed since I got that lens, so all the high priced glass has lost a lot of attraction. I may rent a 14-24mm one of these days just to see what I may be missing out on, but I doubt it will wow me enough to swallow the price tag. I used to shoot professionally in the 90s with all the high end glass back then and know what you get when you have $40,000 of lenses in the trunk, but over the years I realized that the gear doesn't always have to be top of the line to get great results. You don't get a composition wizard included with the fancy lenses

take a look at these links, too

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1076188

http://3d-kraft.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:uwa-comparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

since I rarely shoot f2.8, the above pretty much sold me on the Rokinon, plus I really like the compact size

Jan 19, 2013 at 03:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password