Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       31              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

serhan_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879/15#11300118
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879/15#11300102

wolfloid wrote:
Anyone got a photo of how the CV 40/2 Ultron looks on the EF Metabones on an Nex 6 or 7? Particularly showing the extension from the body?

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:09 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.30 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

wolfloid wrote:
Anyone got a photo of how the CV 40/2 Ultron looks on the EF Metabones on an Nex 6 or 7? Particularly showing the extension from the body?

earlier in this thread.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879/15#11300118

edit: somebody beat me to it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:12 AM
hpt123

p.30 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

I need your help, please. I just bought a Nex 7 and plan to use it with a ZF100 MP f/2 .2 . Can I use the Metabones Speed Booster with the ZF lens attached to an adapter Nikon to EF ? Will the picture quality be the same if I were to use it with a ZE 100 MP lens.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:59 AM
serhan_
• •
p.30 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yes, I am using ZF 100mm with SB+nikon ef adapter. The only problem is finding a good adapter since the lens is heavy. The first one was $40 adapter from B&H and was more wobbly then the $15 adapter.

ZF lens gives you the option of changing aperture on the lens, so I am using it also with dump adapters on nex and OMD. OMD 2x factor makes the lens 1:1 macro with image stabilization. I prefer that to ZE lenses.

hpt123 wrote:
I need your help, please. I just bought a Nex 7 and plan to use it with a ZF100 MP f/2 .2 . Can I use the Metabones Speed Booster with the ZF lens attached to an adapter Nikon to EF ? Will the picture quality be the same if I were to use it with a ZE 100 MP lens.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:12 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.30 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

arstein wrote:
Received reply from Metabones to send back defective Speed Booster. Sent it Next day priority fed ex under their FedEX account and asked them to ship a new unit ASAP. also noticed on their webpage the units are no longer in stock. I'm a little weary they might try to send back the same adapter. I noted the serial number just in case. Any other experiences with customer service?

From your pictures, your Speed Booster did not look used. There are some scratches near the slots around the rear glass element, resulting from infinity adjustment with a spanner wrench. A careless tech did that, for sure, and can't argue with the intermittent failure you experienced with the electronics. Not only that, it slipped through the fingers of final QC. However, your findings point to a workmanship problem, but there is no evidence you have received a used unit.

You need to be clear to them that you are offended by the scratches, or else they would think they would be "done" by repairing the circuitry.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:52 AM
arstein
• •
p.30 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

Works well with all ef lenses some limited as far as focusing.

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 03:10 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:19 AM
CronoDL
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

Just placed an order late last night for the EF - E Mount SB. I have a Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8, and OM 135mm 2.8 to play with. Left over from my Canon kit that I haven't sold yet are a 35mm f2 and 85mm 1.8. Can't wait to try it out! The 35mm f2 was an underrated favorite of mine when I had the 5D2.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:10 PM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.30 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

some more samples ...

- L.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:11 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.30 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

Really dig your last two, Leady, withe the book vendor my fave!

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:17 PM
inglis
• •
p.30 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Leady,
Did you straighten the gothic church?
Such straight lines.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yarrums

p.30 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

Dilemma

I have Contax 35, 50 and 85 and there exists a nex booster but I also have Olympus 24 and 40 and I favor these two as angle of view but no speed booster.
I will not be able to afford two SB's, Do you think there will be a dumb Canon SB or even a dedicated Olympus in the pipeline, is there some sort of getaround I'm missing here other than buying the dedicated Canon eos SB they have now.

Decisions decisions.

Yarrums

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:07 AM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.30 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

inglis wrote:
Leady,
Did you straighten the gothic church?
Such straight lines.

Yes,

strongly

sorry, not for mentioning it.

- L.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:09 AM
CronoDL
• •
p.30 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

Received my EF-E Speed Booster this morning. Delivery time was 2 days from HK to NYC with the $35 Internal Priority shipping option. So far the Speed Booster works just as advertised. I sold my 5D2 last year because I never took it out since it was such a heavy beast. However, I really missed the full frame look. No more missing it now, with the SB on my NEX-6.

So a few quick notes after playing with it for just a few hours. There's slight rotational play when mounted on the NEX-6, but not enough for me to worry about. All the lenses and adapters I've tried fit nice and snug on the EOS side of the adapter. The lenses I'm using on the SB are the Canon 35mm f2, Canon 85mm 1.8, Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8, and OM 135mm 2.8.

I had to play with the infinity adjustment on the SB a bit, and will adjust some more later. Right now, the 35mm f2 hits infinity as indicated on the distance scale, whereas the 50mm and 135mm will focus past infinity. I don't think there's any one perfect setting. That being said, focus peaking on the NEX works wonders.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:33 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.30 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

^ - samples please.

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Atlasman2
• •
p.30 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Here's one with the Olympus OM 100mm f2 wide open.

Joseph Ferrari 2013

NEX-5R and Olympus OM 100mm f2 @ f2

NEX-5R    ---- lens    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:12 PM
inglis
• •
p.30 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

indoors at 100mm, nice!

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Atlasman2
• •
p.30 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

inglis wrote:
indoors at 100mm, nice!

That's what I like most about full frame!

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Yarrums

p.30 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

Just had a mail from Metabones.

Say they will ship dedicated Olympus SB in June.

Good news

Yarrums

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:17 PM
CronoDL
• •
p.30 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

Long post ahead.

Okay, so I had a few days to play with it, and here are my findings so far, as well as two samples. I no longer have a full frame DSLR, so I can't directly compare the image quality of the Speed Booster to how a lens would perform on a full frame camera. I've mainly been using the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8, because I've missed using a 50mm full frame equivalent ever since I sold my 5D Mark II.

I've mostly been shooting wide open to get a feel for manual focusing on the NEX-6, and to finally get some full frame DOF again. A combination of focus peaking and focus magnification helps me focus as accurately (or even more) as I would using an AF camera/lens. Peaking is mostly dependable, but when shooting wide open at 1.8, I usually use magnification to fine tune. I find that the MF process is actually much quicker than I had expected. The EVF on the NEX-6 definitely helps when using magnification. Also, I set the AEL button to MF magnification for quick and easy access.

Wide open with the 50mm, the image center is acceptably sharp for me, though may be slightly soft for those demanding tack sharpness. Image corners are soft, though not bad at all, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the lens than the speed booster. Stopped down to 2.8, and everything, even corners, are SHARP.

Here are two samples with the 50mm 1.8 and SB. These are shot wide open using MF, so please be kind. Also, I'm not a portrait photographer by any means! Feel free to ask questions!

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Staxx

p.30 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

It is interesting:
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138&catid=40&Itemid=2

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:14 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password