Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
28
       29              47       48       end
  

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster
  
 
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster


'Best' is a very relative term here. The Planar 50/1.4 is a very good lens, very sharp stopped down, with decent bokeh and great color and contrast. However, the Planar 50/1.7 is sharper wide open (and perhaps even stopped down, but you'd be splitting hairs there), but has rougher bokeh.

A 40mm lens on the speedbooster is hard, as there isn't much, and you're limited by mounts now. Minolta has a good 40mm pancake, but it won't work on the speedbooster, since there isn't an MD booster and it's got a shallower mount so you can't do EF with another adapter. Likewise the Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 is pretty good (though dreamy wide open...super sharp stopped down to f/2.8 and beyond), but can't be done speedbooster route. There's the Zeiss 45mm Tessar, but I've heard mixed reports and haven't used one before, so I can't really comment.

Your best bet in the 40-50mm range will be the Zeiss Planars and Leica R 50 summicron probably.



Mar 15, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Calidreamin
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster


Thanks!

Agreed on the term "best" being relative...

Sounds like my first guess of the planar might be the one if I go this route. Is it worth it?

Now the question is it going to give me that much more in terms of rendering than my existing fast pen f? (It will be closer to my desired FOV for one...) But is that enough? Maybe just wait for the FF... exciting times.

Any thoughts / links to comparisons on this much appreciated.

Jman13 wrote:
'Best' is a very relative term here. The Planar 50/1.4 is a very good lens, very sharp stopped down, with decent bokeh and great color and contrast. However, the Planar 50/1.7 is sharper wide open (and perhaps even stopped down, but you'd be splitting hairs there), but has rougher bokeh.

A 40mm lens on the speedbooster is hard, as there isn't much, and you're limited by mounts now. Minolta has a good 40mm pancake, but it won't work on the speedbooster, since there isn't an MD booster and it's got a shallower mount so you can't do EF with another
...Show more



Mar 15, 2013 at 08:35 PM
serhan_
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster


I have CV 40mm f/2.0 EF mount (42mm f/1.4 equiv) and also C/Y 50mm 1.4 (53mm f/1 equiv). CV is a pancake lens and it will be similar size to RX1 lens with the adapter. See prev posts for CV 40mm:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879/15#11300102
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1181879/15#11300118



Mar 15, 2013 at 08:38 PM
DanielT74
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster


Calidreamin wrote:
Okay guys.

Can anyone advise on a few things?

I' m a NEX 5n user and have been collecting and enjoying glass such as the (Summicron 50, CV 35 2.5, CV 40 and Hexanon M 28 and a Pen F 42mm 1.2. All of which I intend to use one day on a NEX FF (Pen prob won't work in FF) as I ideally like these lens for what they are will be and not with the 1.5 crop factor, but work for the time being.

So until the FF comes out, I'm looking for quality fast manual focus lenses (not interested in
...Show more

As far as the speedbooster is concerned, if money is no object I'd recommend Kern-Macro-Switar 50/1.9, which I think is a brilliant lens. I posted some samples before the speedbooster here (click the images the DP software makes images look soft in the threads):

Samples with Kern-Macro-Switar on NEX-5n

I have the Alpa speedbooster now and so far loving it (the 75mm FoV was too tight for me too).

Another option which I haven't tried but which I suspect is also superb is Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2. Much better than the Planar 50/1.4 from all I've heard, it is not apochromatic like the Kern but a more modern lens with better coatings etc. You should be able to get a Canon or Nikon mount for under 1k.

Wider? Well the Conatx G 28/2.8 is a great lens and without the SB (doesn't exist for Contax G) will give you 42mm equivalent. It is also cheap but do get a Metabones adapter for it which adds another $120.

Even wider is Canon FD 24/1.4 or 24/2 which should get supported by the SB in the near future. Then there are modern lenses, Nikon's little 50/1.8 is cheap and pretty good!

BTW, Pen F 35/1.8 is not too bad either but as you said is unlikely to cover FF.



Mar 16, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Taylor Sherman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster


Well, my Summicron-R 35/2 arrived today. It doesn't reach infinity on the SB, though it does on my cheapo basic R-Nex adapter. The MER-60 is maybe a hair shy of infinity on the SB as well. So, I will be trying a little adjustment on the SB Monday when I have access to some tiny tools. I may also have to push the infinity a bit on the 35/2 (I was able to unscrew the front cover without tools, but again I don't have any phillips drivers that fit here at home - though I'm gonna order a set ).




Mar 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
DanielT74
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster


That's disappointing. Have you contacted Metabones?


Mar 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Taylor Sherman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster


No, others already have and their response is that "it is properly adjusted but if you must change it, here's how. . ." and the link to the page that describes adjusting it.

I honestly have no idea if my 35/2 is adjusted correctly. Though, the focus mark does point right at the infinity symbol when it hits the hard stop.

On the SB as it currently is, the 35/2 at infinity-lock focus is actually at about 20 feet.



Mar 17, 2013 at 01:32 AM
mawz
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster


Jman13 wrote:
'Best' is a very relative term here. The Planar 50/1.4 is a very good lens, very sharp stopped down, with decent bokeh and great color and contrast. However, the Planar 50/1.7 is sharper wide open (and perhaps even stopped down, but you'd be splitting hairs there), but has rougher bokeh.

A 40mm lens on the speedbooster is hard, as there isn't much, and you're limited by mounts now. Minolta has a good 40mm pancake, but it won't work on the speedbooster, since there isn't an MD booster and it's got a shallower mount so you can't do EF with another
...Show more

There are three other excellent options for 40mm's without any modifications for an EF Speedbooster, and an additional one if you are willing to permanently modify the lens. The OM 40 and Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron are both excellent lenses and suitable for EF Speedboosters (the CV is native on EF or adaptable from nikon F), additionally you have the Canon 40/2.8 STM which by all reports is quite a lovely little lens, but slower and if you are willing to apply a leverectomy there is also the Pentax SMC-M 40/2.8. At 45mm you get the C/Y 45/2.8 Tessar as well as the Nikkor GN 45/2.8 and the newer AI-P 45/2.8, both of which are Tessar clones. The Tessars are sharp in the centre wide open, and have lovely bokeh but need to stop down to get sharp at the edges.

Did Minolta even do a 40? They did do a 45/2 semi-pancake which is a lovely (and dirt cheap) lens.



Mar 17, 2013 at 01:52 AM
buggz2k
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster


Minolta M for Leica.

mawz wrote:
Did Minolta even do a 40? They did do a 45/2 semi-pancake which is a lovely (and dirt cheap) lens.




Mar 17, 2013 at 02:27 AM
DanielT74
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster


M-Rokkor 40mm f2 will be ~60mm FoV on NEX-5n which is not what he wants.

It is a nice lens though and quite cheap.



Mar 17, 2013 at 02:37 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster


mawz wrote:
Did Minolta even do a 40? They did do a 45/2 semi-pancake which is a lovely (and dirt cheap) lens.


just for leica. the 45 has nice color and central sharpness, but it is a pretty poor performer towards the edges even stopped down. it also has terrible build. the cv 40/2 +SB seems like the best option to me, but i've never shot with it.



Mar 17, 2013 at 02:37 AM
LeadyGonzales
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster


some comparisons 5D MarkII and NEX-6 with SB:


Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4 C/Y open.
Left: NEX-6 with SB, Right: 5D MarkII both 100% crop


cropped to the same picture size

- L.



Mar 18, 2013 at 09:59 PM
LeadyGonzales
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster


.. and here distagon 35mm 1.4 HFT


Left 5D Mark II, Right: NEX-6 with SB





- L.



Mar 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM
sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster


sweet, thanks for the comparison!


Mar 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Jim Schemel
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster


Has anyone used a speedbooster with a UWA lens like a 12-14mm on a NEX 7? if so what results?
I have a very nice 13mm Vivitar SLR lens that performs very well on my NEX 7 with no purple fringing.I am wondering how it would work with a Speedbooster. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
-Jim



Mar 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster


mawz wrote:
There are three other excellent options for 40mm's without any modifications for an EF Speedbooster, and an additional one if you are willing to permanently modify the lens. The OM 40 and Voigtlander 40/2 Ultron are both excellent lenses and suitable for EF Speedboosters (the CV is native on EF or adaptable from nikon F), additionally you have the Canon 40/2.8 STM which by all reports is quite a lovely little lens, but slower and if you are willing to apply a leverectomy there is also the Pentax SMC-M 40/2.8. At 45mm you get the C/Y 45/2.8 Tessar as well
...Show more

I have the CV 40/2 and Nikkor 45 AI-P and I'm thinking of getting the SB to use them on my Nex 7. I apologize for not reading this entire thread, but would it be correct to say that it's the consensus that the SB is not great if you're looking for edge to edge sharpness, even stopped down?



Mar 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster


The Canon 40mm f/2.8 may not be an exciting lens from an alt. perspective, but is tiny and very sharp - I love mine on the 6D - I suspect it would be very nice on a NEX with a SB. I'm a 40mm lover too.


Mar 19, 2013 at 01:36 AM
sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster


michael49 wrote:
The Canon 40mm f/2.8 may not be an exciting lens from an alt. perspective, but is tiny and very sharp - I love mine on the 6D - I suspect it would be very nice on a NEX with a SB. I'm a 40mm lover too.


i'd be a lot more tempted if it were manual focus.

f/2 wouldn't hurt either.



Mar 19, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Atlasman2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster


Jim Schemel wrote:
Has anyone used a speedbooster with a UWA lens like a 12-14mm on a NEX 7? if so what results?
I have a very nice 13mm Vivitar SLR lens that performs very well on my NEX 7 with no purple fringing.I am wondering how it would work with a Speedbooster. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
-Jim

I've tried the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 but could not achieve infinity focus.



Mar 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Jim Schemel
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster


Atlasman2 wrote:
I've tried the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 but could not achieve infinity focus.


How far off were you? Also did you notice any purple fringing? Thanks for the input
-Jim



Mar 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1       2       3              27      
28
       29              47       48       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
28
       29              47       48       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password