Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

safcraft
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

I am quite interested and curious about this product. I always wished for FF look on a small body, and some lens do seem to fit the bill now, with this SB.

Question is : which one to get ?

EF mount seems nice, as it lets you use C/Y , M42 and Nikon F.
But how about Canon FD ? There are tons of cheap and great lens for FD, some very small and good that would work wonders. Problem is, even if Metabones makes it....there are no adapter from FD to anything really....so you get stuck with FD.

What is your take on this ?

My perfect Speed Booster would be an FD with adapters to EF, C/Y and Nikon F.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:19 PM
inglis
• •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

The FD is on the map, so it will just be a matter of adapters to EF, CY, Nikon, and the rest

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:46 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

I think this list at cameraquest states what adapters was historically available for each camera mount

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptslr.htm

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:02 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

Ok, made a bit of more research of existing known adapters and one can use :

With Metabones SB - EF Mount

- EF lens (with aperture and AF)
- C/Y lens
- Nikon F lens
- M42 lens

With Metabones SB - FD Mount

- FD lens
- Nikon F lens
- M42 lens
- EF lens (wide open)

This concludes a strange note : there is no C/Y to FD adapter so one must choose either use C/Y with one adapter or FD with another.
I really hate this, because i would plan to use some C/Y Zeiss (50 and 35-70) plus a bunch of FD lens i have lying around.....

Does someone know of a turnaround to make a C/Y lens to FD mount adapter ? IT should be possible, because C/Y to EF is a much more thin flange distance !

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:15 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sorry but I wouldn't believe an EF lens to FD mount adapter would be possible at all.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:37 PM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

the SB has the possibilty to be adjusted to infinity. you simply move the lens inside.

if this adjustment has a large tolerance it could be possible to set it >1mm closer to the sensor and then infinite could be possible !?

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:56 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

Flange Focal Distance :

Canon FD mount 42.00 mm
Canon EF mount 44.00 mm
Contax C/Y Mount 45.50 mm
Olympus OM mount 46.00 mm
Nikon F-mount 46.50 mm

There are C/Y to EF and that is 1.5mm !! Why not EF to FD (2mm) ?
Nevertheless...a C/Y to FD would be enough and that is 3.5mm

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:01 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

The camera needs to have BOTH a shorter flange AND a wider mount diameter than the lens.

If only the former, it would have to be at least 6-7mm shorter.

The lens' bayonets have to have space to sit in.

EF mount has a bigger diameter than FD.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:02 PM
artur5
• •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

Probably the most versatile SB unit would be the already released Alpa version if there were more adapters available. You can find them now for Nikon, M42 or Leica-R lenses, but it's old stock, demanding silly high prices, due to the collector's value.
In theory, it would be possible to make Alpa adapters not only for the lenses above mentioned but also for Minolta MD, Olympus OM, C/Y and Canon EOS. Not for Canon FD glass, I guess.
Of course, there isn't modern production of any kind for adapting other lenses to Alpa SLR cameras ( discontinued for more than 30 years). Let's see if some Chinese 'entrepreneur' takes the risk. My bet is that nobody will; this is a too small niche market.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:37 PM
genji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

safcraft wrote:
Ok, made a bit of more research of existing known adapters and one can use :

With Metabones SB - EF Mount

- EF lens (with aperture and AF)
- C/Y lens
- Nikon F lens
- M42 lens

Shouldn't Leica R lenses be on that list? inglis showed a picture shot with a Leica R 60mm via Canon SB on Nex 5n in this post. (Allowing for the fact that, as Brody Le Blanc pointed out, many Leica R lenses will need to be modified because of metal protrusions at the rear of the lens.)

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

safcraft
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yes, Leica-R are also on both lists, but the list is not complete. As can be the Olympus OM.
I just showed off some of the common ones, mainly to point out the FD incompatibility.
Cyberstudio made a very good point. Thanks for that.
It would seem one will have to choose between FD and C/Y.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:33 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

Here's another shot with the 35/2 E55. I still need to preform the infinity adjustment on my Speed Booster, without adjustment I can almost hit infinity but not quite. Either way, been all kinds of impressed with the Speed Booster. I think it'll become a main part of my gear set up for a while now.

Wesmorland Bridge - X-Pro1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:32 PM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hi,

I went out with my Planar 85mm 1.4 (Contax), the Nex-6 and SB.

Love it ...

Due to the magnification of the NEX-6 it is even better than 5D2. Also the direct bokeh control is worth it

below some impressions ...

- L.

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Bert Randolph

p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

LeadyGonzales,

the shots of the apes are really beautiful!
I am glad I just bought a Planar 85 1.4
Really looking forward to putting it on a Speed Booster!

I've been watching the Meatbones webpage for a while now and the Speed Boosters never have been available. Is there another way to buy one or are they just out at the moment?

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:38 AM
inglis
• •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

The were on vacation or something in Feb,
could that still be the reason? I forget the dates.
LeadyGonzales,
you are really taking us into the/our species here!!!

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:11 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

Bert Randolph wrote:
I've been watching the Meatbones webpage for a while now and the Speed Boosters never have been available. Is there another way to buy one or are they just out at the moment?

From mid-Jan to mid-Feb it has been sold factory direct on Metabones' web site, but since then, the story I heard was that all the remaining stock is being diverted to the resellers to put them under the spot light and it is now their turn to shine. It is scattered worldwide though which could be hard to hunt for. The factory's site will be in stock again very soon.

Mar 08, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Photon-hunter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hi, sorry if it's been asked, but, what are the odds of a Rokkor-Nex SB being produced?

Thanks!

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:21 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

Currently in the prototyping stage. Hope everything goes well. (Do you know of any Minolta MD lenses with long appendages, levers, spikes or anything out from the back of the lens which could hit something? Please warn us in advance so that this product could successfully be built asap.) Most likely we will see Minolta MD before Canon FD.

Bo-Ming
conurus

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

cyberstudio wrote:
Currently in the prototyping stage. Hope everything goes well. (Do you know of any Minolta MD lenses with long appendages, levers, spikes or anything out from the back of the lens which could hit something? Please warn us in advance so that this product could successfully be built asap.) Most likely we will see Minolta MD before Canon FD.

Bo-Ming
conurus

there are a fairly large number of lenses that will foul the mirror on a canon 5D, definitely the 24/2.8, 35/1.8, and usually the 58/1.2. others probably will too, but haven't been popular enough for people to try converting. in the case of these lenses it is the rear element or retaining ring that is troublesome. the aperture lever on most minolta lenses sticks out a ways as well. often up to 6mm further than the bayonet flange.

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:57 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hello,
How 'bout an FX(Fuji XF) native to EOS Speed Booster?
I would definitely buy one!

cyberstudio wrote:

Bo-Ming
conurus

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:21 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password