FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       16              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yarrums

Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hello Mike.

Bit of a blow to here that there maybe a problem with Olympus lenses and the Speedbooster.
I have a 24mm 2.8 and a 40mm f2 which I have with a eos adapter and I was thinking of using with a Fuji X-pro when and if I buy one.
It would be interesting to see if there is any type of workaround and when they do bring out more adapters there will be a solution.
My hope was to have all my MF lenses with eos adapters and then just one Speedbooster, eos to Fuji X...Life is never so straight forward it seems.

Sean

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

The 58mm Rokkor being a problem too is also a nasty knock.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

I don't think you can conclude that lenses getting hit by the mirror on an SLR will have problems with the Speedbooster. A simple drawing with dimensions of the SB would help sorting this out.

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:24 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

Makten,
You are right, none of the OM lenses have issues with the 1Ds or 5Ds I've had. I will take some measurements over the weekend. And as I've said there is a straight forward workaround if I were prepared to cut back the fin... maybe just a few mm.

Yarrums,
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to do as well. I have very few EF lenses and only a couple (of Alt's) with permanent conversions so most of my lenses would have been with an additional adapter. I was prepared to look very carefully to see if I'd have infinity issues or L-R issues. I'll test some more lens/adapters tonight to see if others have connection problems to help winnow what I take out to test tomorrow. I did put a 100/3.5 C/Y on last night (has a Son adapter) and it appeared to have the problem as well.

Sebboh,
I'll take a few shots with the Rokkor, I also have a Rokinon 35/1.4 which should be interesting to see if it renders similar to FF.

Mike

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

Makten wrote:
What the heck is the point of using such a lens on that camera?

The half a stop you get over a ZA 135/1.8 maybe?

Actually, I'd consider using a 200/2 on my 7, but not with a SpeedBooster.

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:21 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

mcbroomf wrote:
Looks like OM lenses will need to be de-fined to fit in the adpter. I picked mine up today and just looked at the 18mm. I read a caution of this on GetDPI I think so I only lightly mated the lenses and could see that they would not sit properly so I started looking closer. The 18mm has a pretty deep fin that is just to protect the rear element. It will foul either the lens or part of the surround in the adapter (I need my calipers to measure and I'll be able to do that over the
...Show more

That's really a shame. Any idea if the Oly 21 3.5 would have the same issue?

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:49 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

Michael,
I do have a 21/3.5 as well as the F2. I eyeballed it last night and thought it might be a problem, certainly not as clear an issue as the 18mm. I'll be checking measurements on my OMs tonight + a few others and the SB. I hope I'm wrong on a least some of the lenses. You can see a x-section schematic I put up in a gallery to see what I'm talking about. I'll add any photos taken from the weekend outings and the measurements for the arrow positions, together with the height of the fins for the lenses. I'll do as many as I can, mainly wide to normals.

One thing I realized last night as a side benefit for anyone who chooses to use the SB permanently is that you will be completely free of the risk of getting dust on your sensor during lenses changes, as there's no way any dust can get past the lens and shroud.
http://www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield/image/148468721

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

FYI here's the ongoing thread on getdpi as more are testing the compatibility, it will be great if there is a table to show the lenses that have been tested:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/43130-speed-booster-nex-3.html

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

mcbroomf wrote:
Michael,
I do have a 21/3.5 as well as the F2. I eyeballed it last night and thought it might be a problem, certainly not as clear an issue as the 18mm. I'll be checking measurements on my OMs tonight + a few others and the SB. I hope I'm wrong on a least some of the lenses. You can see a x-section schematic I put up in a gallery to see what I'm talking about. I'll add any photos taken from the weekend outings and the measurements for the arrow positions, together with the height of the fins for the
...Show more

Thanks for the information.

Personally, the lenses I would like to try with the Speedbooster would be:

Oly 21 3.5, Zeiss C/Y 28 2.8, C/Y 50 1.7, C/Y 85 2.8, CZJ 35 2.4, Nikkor AIS 55 3.5 macro and maybe the CZJ 135 3.5

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
inglis
• •
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

thanks Aleksanderpolo,
One individual at the getdpi address above finds that some of his Leica Rs do not work with the Leica R SB. While the SB website does not mention these lenses as not working, the question arises in the discussion as to whether some of the older Leica R lenses have issues that later 3 cam versions avoid.
This is pretty serious because the person actually damaged his Leica R SB with a Leica R lens!

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yes, it was that thread on getdpi that tipped me off to check before slamming a lens on it. 1/2 way down the 3rd page... I don't have the 28/2.8 or 50/1.4 OMs but glad I checked carefully 1st.

"7.Some manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster™"

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

amsterdem wrote:
Auto-magnify works with my metabones II for canon 50L, 70-200, but not my speed booster

Please refer to the online manual
http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/147-green-power-save-mode

In a nutshell we can't both autofocus and auto magnify at the same time, but we need to choose the right mode beforehand to select which one we want.

The "Green Power Save" mode emulates an LA-EA1. Sony had placed some limitations and removed some functionalities (e.g. auto magnify). The "Advanced Manual Focus Mode" emulates a native E-mount lens sans autofocus.

Mirror clearance and Speed Booster clearance are equally nasty but rather different animals. Mirror would hit the bottom part of the frame but Speed Booster is tallest in the center.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:51 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

Anyone have an eos converted contax n 17-35 to throw on this puppy?

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:02 PM
amsterdem
• •
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

cyberstudio wrote:
Please refer to the online manual
http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/147-green-power-save-mode

In a nutshell we can't both autofocus and auto magnify at the same time, but we need to choose the right mode beforehand to select which one we want.

The "Green Power Save" mode emulates an LA-EA1. Sony had placed some limitations and removed some functionalities (e.g. auto magnify). The "Advanced Manual Focus Mode" emulates a native E-mount lens sans autofocus.

Mirror clearance and Speed Booster clearance are equally nasty but rather different animals. Mirror would hit the bottom part of the frame but Speed Booster is tallest in the center.

It works, thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:42 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Picked up my SpeedBooster today. Cold and dark here as well, so please accept some boring tests.
Canon 40 mm 2.8 STM pancake. NEX 7.
Compared to CV Ultron 28 2.0 (Category 2).
Also compared to the 5DII.(Category 1)
All wide open, identical manual exposure. The 5DII was pushed 0.7 stops to get the same brightness.

[Edit: added full images with SB for crop location reference]

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/SB_Crops_zps074bcd88.jpg
[/Edit]

Unsharpened 100% crops, developed in CaptureOne 6

Center first,

5DII best in contrast, SB best in resolution, the Ultron just can't keep up despite being three times as expensive as the 40 mm pancake.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/40mm_center_zps090aea62.jpg

Then corner (almost extreme corner).

Note the color cast with the Ultron directly on the NEX 7, and the heavy lateral CA and no worse vignetting with the SpeedBooster.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/40mm_corner_zps313398c2.jpg

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thank you alundeb for your contribution. Very interesting.

Edit - The nex 7 has reported bad corner performance, I wonder if results would actually be better from a 5N, etc.

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 05:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

Makten wrote:
I don't think you can conclude that lenses getting hit by the mirror on an SLR will have problems with the Speedbooster. A simple drawing with dimensions of the SB would help sorting this out.

I agree, I also (would hope) that the SB is under stricter tolerances or rather more uniform construction. None of the variations in mirror boxes of the 5D and 5DII gamble people have had. I got really lucky with my 5D, since i've used lenses without issue so far that are marked as iffy at peppleplace.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:52 PM
alwang
• • •
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thanks! Could you show one of the uncropped images, so we can see exactly where this is cropped from? Also, I assume each lens was shot at its widest aperture?

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:53 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

sweet comparison, thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:59 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

alwang wrote:
Thanks! Could you show one of the uncropped images, so we can see exactly where this is cropped from? Also, I assume each lens was shot at its widest aperture?

Ok! Post edited.

Yes, all at widest aperture possible.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.