Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15              47       48       end
  

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster
  
 
alwang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster


aleksanderpolo wrote:
Since one cannot use RF lens, we are basically comparing NEX+SB with 6D:

NEX6+SB: $848+$599 = $1447
6D: $2099

16MP vs 20MP not a lot of difference

Size:
Same thickness from mount to sensor

Weight:
NEX6+SB: 286g+~200g =~500g
6D: 770g

There is actually not a lot of size saving once you take into account the dominating size of the SLR lens needed. For the money saved you are giving up native AF, better grip and balance, and some loss in image quality, in exchange for better video (?)... it is not compelling enough for me... so I will keep waiting for the elusive FF non M.


Certainly if the only thing you're interested in shooting is full-frame EF mount lenses, then you're probably better off buying a 6D. I think what a NEX+SB gives you is versatility.



Jan 24, 2013 at 06:29 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster


aleksanderpolo wrote:
Size:
Same thickness from mount to sensor


actually the adapter is thinner than a standard eos to NEX adapter so there is some savings there as well. also I mainly want to use lenses that have mirror collisions on canons.



Jan 24, 2013 at 06:56 PM
aleksanderpolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster


Didn't know that it is thinner, but then lens with mirror collisions would have chances of scratching the glass of the adapter too? I think on their site they say they are not supporting stacking adapter on top:

http://www.metabones.com/sony/ef-e-speed-booster

#7: Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster™. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster™. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster™ are not covered by warranty.

Mr. Caldwell was commenting on mflenses so I suggested metabones to include a plastic thingy to gauge the clearance of the lens, like what Fuji included in their M adapter.


sebboh wrote:
actually the adapter is thinner than a standard eos to NEX adapter so there is some savings there as well. also I mainly want to use lenses that have mirror collisions on canons.




Jan 24, 2013 at 07:09 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster


aleksanderpolo wrote:
Didn't know that it is thinner, but then lens with mirror collisions would have chances of scratching the glass of the adapter too? I think on their site they say they are not supporting stacking adapter on top:

http://www.metabones.com/sony/ef-e-speed-booster

#7: Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster™. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster™. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches
...Show more

yeah, i'll have to get some measurements from the adapter. in pictures the lens looks like it is recessed enough for my needs, but we'll see.

i'd much rather have a FF mirrorless the size of the NEX-7, but we'll see if that ever happens.



Jan 24, 2013 at 07:17 PM
freaklikeme
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster


sebboh wrote:
yeah, i'll have to get some measurements from the adapter. in pictures the lens looks like it is recessed enough for my needs, but we'll see.

i'd much rather have a FF mirrorless the size of the NEX-7, but we'll see if that ever happens.


My concern is the mention of the Leica-R 15/3.5 specifically. That actually clears the mirror of a Canon FF (DsII and III, anyway), so if it interferes with the adapter, there's no hope for the 16 fish, Elmarit 19 vII, Elmarit 24, or the Summilux 35. That last would be a deal killer for me if I were seriously looking at getting one.



Jan 24, 2013 at 09:05 PM
aleksanderpolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster


This page is more specific about the R->E adapter:

http://www.metabones.com/product/sony-nex/leica-r-lens-to-sony-nex-adapter-detail

Quote: Super-Elmar-R 15mm lens needs to be modified in order to fit on the Speed Booster.



Jan 24, 2013 at 09:11 PM
alundeb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster


aleksanderpolo wrote:
Since one cannot use RF lens, we are basically comparing NEX+SB with 6D:

NEX6+SB: $848+$599 = $1447
6D: $2099

16MP vs 20MP not a lot of difference

Size:
Same thickness from mount to sensor

Weight:
NEX6+SB: 286g+~200g =~500g
6D: 770g

There is actually not a lot of size saving once you take into account the dominating size of the SLR lens needed. For the money saved you are giving up native AF, better grip and balance, and some loss in image quality, in exchange for better video (?)... it is not compelling enough for me... so I will keep waiting for the elusive FF non M.


Interesting point of view. One should think carefully before jumping onto this from scratch.

OTOH, the picture changes a lot based on what cameras you already have and what lenses you intend to use.
I also think the size difference is huge between a 6D with lens and a small NEX with adapter and the same lens.

NEX 5N + SB = 463 g
5DII = 850 g

I would never buy the 6D to save 80g when I have the 5DII, and I already have the NEX 5N as well. And my lightest lenses are only 130g. And they are not slow lenses. I have everything I need except the SpeedBooster. It will fit nicely into my systems.




Jan 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
mcbroomf
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster


Looks like OM lenses will need to be de-fined to fit in the adpter. I picked mine up today and just looked at the 18mm. I read a caution of this on GetDPI I think so I only lightly mated the lenses and could see that they would not sit properly so I started looking closer. The 18mm has a pretty deep fin that is just to protect the rear element. It will foul either the lens or part of the surround in the adapter (I need my calipers to measure and I'll be able to do that over the weekend). The 90/2 is the same, the fin isn't as deep but it's further out as the element is so much bigger. The shroud that the adapter uses angles out as it get closer to the barrel so if fouls even this shallower fin. Lastly my 58/1.2 Rokkor with a Jim B adapter is v.slightly loose and I have to jiggle it to get it to be recognized as a manual lens. If I don't do this the adapter keeps the Nex7 shutter closed and it won't over enable in the menu for a manual lens to allow the shutter to operate.. wierd.
I'll probably try a couple more lenses over the weekend just to check optical performance but it's going back as my hope was to have a small handful of OM lenses and a 35-70 with a regular adapter and this one to cover 18-135 FOV range. I could de-fin the OM's of course but I don't think I want to leave them open to the elements if I remove the shroud that has the fin, and I don't think I want to cut off the fin.

Mike



Jan 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster


Good luck manual focusing with the ovf of the 5dii or 6d at wide apertures.


Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
mawz
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster


Note that even with a standard adapter, the NEX-6+EF lens remains FAR smaller than the 6D with the same lens. The 6D body is 145 x 111 x 71 mm, the NEX-6 is 120 x 67 x 43 mm. The body portion is a far smaller volume even though the depth is approximately the same because the NEX-6 is significantly less wide and tall. Practically the NEX-6 behaves much like a handle on the rear of the lens, while a 6D is a fairly significant addition to the lens in terms of volume and size.

As a practical matter, depth makes little difference in overall volume as it's dominated by the lens unless shooting a very compact lens. But height & width do matter and you can put a couple NEX-6+EF adapters inside a 6D.



Jan 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



amsterdem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster


Nex 7 Canon 200mm 2.0L 140mm 1.4, basically straight from camera. Much less vignetting than 70-200 II
AF is useless with SB and this lens, back focus. Had to manual focus, and auto magnify doesnt seem to work?





Jan 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM
mawz
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster


Auto-Magnify will only work with E-mount lenses, you need to set the camera to DMF or MF and manually engage magnification, the same limitation exists for A mount lenses.


Jan 25, 2013 at 02:06 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster


mcbroomf wrote:
Looks like OM lenses will need to be de-fined to fit in the adpter. I picked mine up today and just looked at the 18mm. I read a caution of this on GetDPI I think so I only lightly mated the lenses and could see that they would not sit properly so I started looking closer. The 18mm has a pretty deep fin that is just to protect the rear element. It will foul either the lens or part of the surround in the adapter (I need my calipers to measure and I'll be able to do that over the
...Show more

that's too bad about the OMs.

i'd love to see a shot or two with the rokkor on it...



Jan 25, 2013 at 02:19 AM
amsterdem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster


mawz wrote:
Auto-Magnify will only work with E-mount lenses, you need to set the camera to DMF or MF and manually engage magnification, the same limitation exists for A mount lenses.

Auto-magnify works with my metabones II for canon 50L, 70-200, but not my speed booster



Jan 25, 2013 at 02:44 AM
mawz
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster


amsterdem wrote:
Auto-magnify works with my metabones II for canon 50L, 70-200, but not my speed booster


Imteresting that it does, the Canon lenses must be reporting manual focus activity back to the camera, which the A mount lenses do not (or Sony just chose not to monitor the D info from A mount lenses which are ADI compatible).



Jan 25, 2013 at 03:51 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster


mawz wrote:
Imteresting that it does, the Canon lenses must be reporting manual focus activity back to the camera, which the A mount lenses do not (or Sony just chose not to monitor the D info from A mount lenses which are ADI compatible).


the 50L is focus by wire but the 70-200 isn't right?



Jan 25, 2013 at 04:20 AM
amsterdem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster


50L, 70-200 II, 200 2.0L can auto magnify with the metabones II,
basically any canon AF lens after 2008 I assume

My metabones II firmware doesn't have AF

The speed booster cannot auto magnify with any of the lenses, but it can AF. Accurate with the 50L and basically useless with the telephotos



Jan 25, 2013 at 04:50 AM
freaklikeme
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster


sebboh wrote:
the 50L is focus by wire but the 70-200 isn't right?


I think that depends on the 50L. The f/1.2 is mechanical. I think, but don't know from experience, the f/1.0 is by wire.



Jan 25, 2013 at 05:21 AM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster


amsterdem wrote:
Nex 7 Canon 200mm 2.0L 140mm 1.4, basically straight from camera.


What the heck is the point of using such a lens on that camera?



Jan 25, 2013 at 05:44 AM
amsterdem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster


Makten wrote:
What the heck is the point of using such a lens on that camera?

Besides shallow DOF, large throw, mainly for video. 60fps is key reason for me with the nex body



Jan 25, 2013 at 06:52 AM
1       2       3              13      
14
       15              47       48       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
14
       15              47       48       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password