Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I don't have a favorite. Or perhaps all my lenses are my favorites. I use whatever lens is the right choice for the image I want to make at the scene. If I see a distant piece of the scene that my mind can frame as an image I may use my 300 f2.8. I've made one of my best images with the 500 f4. When I want to capture a wide angle of view it may be the Zeiss 21 of the 17 ts-e or 16-35. Don't ever put a lens on simply because you want to use it except maybe for a test.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

kevindar wrote:
Dan, you may be right. when I however compared one copy of each, I found the 17-40 to never have really sharp corners, even stopped down, hefty distortion at 17, and not quite as good of microcontrast. however, i am sure there is copy to copy variation. If funds were limited, and I was using the lens purely for shooting landscape, I think the 17-40 is a fine lens. 16-35 also happens to be my favorite video lens.

In keeping with the objective of the landscape forum to focus on photographs and not technical stuff, I'll forego a real response to the question of the image quality of the 17-40. (I'd take that up if it were posted in a different forum... and, yes, I probably should have not mentioned it here in the first place.)

However, here is a photograph made yesterday with the lens - Weston Beach at Point Lobos state reserve... ;-)

Dan

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:09 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I have an opinion on this that may or may not matter.

Shoot as if you will print the image five years from now. Don't shoot just for an internet posting at low quality. To that extent, the lens does matter. To me that also means, the usual procedures. Tripod, MLU, remote, etc. That is becoming more important with higher resolution camera bodies. Anyway, the lens doesn't have to be expensive or a set best focal length, but in landscape it should be sharp and have nice color. Definitely don't need f/1.4 If you don't have a lot of money, buy one quality lens per year, build a kit/system gradually. Three to five years goes by fairly fast. Try and get the same filter size on each (if you use filters). There are arguments to be made that 70-80% of all landscape images you see are shot around 24mm or so. I'm always wanting 35mm. A 35mm PC-E would be nice. But, part of that is regional too. Where and what do you shoot? What works out west may not work in New York. It all boils down to your vision... which changes all the time.

I finally have a kit that I like, but it's too much... And so it goes. Can't tell you what I use the most, but can tell you my least used lenses are the 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.8 - Could be the opposite for some one else.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:23 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

In order of most use in my landscapes (Canon):

1. 24-105mm
2. 100-400mm
3. 16-35 II

I love telephoto landscapes, and have found in recent times that I shoot with my 16-35 least of my 3 big zooms.

-K

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

mjoshi wrote:
I see lot of great work on this forum and was just wondering what is your favoraite landscape lens ? At present I use Canon 17-40 with Canon 5Dmkii and was planning to upgrade to 16-35 F2.8 but on other hand I doubt having faster lens will make any bigger difference in landscape work as most of time I'm seeing images at anything smaller than F5.6. Any recommendations here ?

The 16-35 2.8 is a marginal improvement, expensive upgrade to 17-40. For this price you could have my favorite lens 17TS. And with a good 1.4x adapter it would become a very good TS24. And with shift and stitch it delivers 11mm without distortion.

Switching to TS will do way more for your pictures then getting a faster lens, for landscapes.

The nikon 14-24 on a novoflex is not as good as the 17TS, at 17mm in the corners. The nikon 14-24 is the best uwa zoom but zooms are not as good as primes (especially not at widest aperture in the corners) and cause uwa distortion.If you are going to go to the trouble of manual focus, get the TS.

My favorites in order are TS17, 24-105, (tied TS 24 day/Zeiss 25 f2 night). I have the old 24-70 but find it too heavy and too short and marginal gain over 24-105.I have the 70-200 f2.8 is but find it heavy and rare to go beyond 100mm for landscapes for my style.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

ckcarr wrote:
There are arguments to be made that 70-80% of all landscape images you see are shot around 24mm or so.

And 87.3% of all statistics are simply made up...

"... 70-80% of all landscape images you see are shot around 24mm", eh? ;-)

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 08:24 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:00 PM
mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I think I should have really rephrased my question as what is most used lens in your landscape work, and seriously I've learnt lot from others on this thread. I never even realized that I should take 70-200F2.8L & 35F1.4L that I've with me to shoot for landscapes. Most of time when it is landscape I only carried 17-40F4L. But thanks to all of you I think I'm going to experiment lot more now.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:23 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I don't have one most used lens for landscape.

It varies with the subject and composition.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Right now its the 24-70 mk2. Last year it was the 17TSE. When I get a new lens I tend to use it heavily until it is second nature to me. While the 16-35 is my newest lens I don't expect it to be a favorite.

The 17TSE is still my sharpest lens and the preferred UWA. Most of my landscapes are below 50mm.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Once I moved to full frame, 24-105. When you're hiking around its hard to lug a bunch of lenses around and this one is really versatile. My second favorite lens is the samyang 14. I can't afford the canon 14L and for the price, the samyang is hard to beat. lack of AF does not bother me as for landscapes I hardly ever use AF. Usually when I go on a hike I just carry the 24-105 and samyang 14. If I know I don't have to hike very far, I'll definitely bring my 70-200 F4.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Greg Campbell wrote:
I recommend you save the 'upgrade' money and spend it on a trip to someplace like Yellowstone, Antarctica, Utah, or wherever you want to go...

The Landscape photography genre is, more than most, extremely dependent on the photographer. IMO, 90% of the effort required to produce a good image takes place before the shutter is even pressed. Assuming your camera and lens are functional and not outright junk, you're good to go. Pixel peepers and gear dweebs seldom make compelling images.

Nice...but the thread is about your favorite landscape lens. Please stay on topic or just don't post.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I have more landscape keepers with my 24-105...but then I have had this lens the longest. Right now, I take more landscape shots with my Zeiss 21 followed by my Zeiss 35.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:01 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

ckcarr wrote:
I have an opinion on this that may or may not matter.

Shoot as if you will print the image five years from now.

Good advice. in years time you wont ever look at a photo and want it at lower quality..

Currently in order for me:

1. 24tse mkII
2. 17-40L
3. 50mmf1.4

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:12 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Sunstars are the main advantage to that lens, so it depends on your shooting style. I think 24 TS-E is my favorite.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:35 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Aye I think the 16-35 is better overall, better corners, microcontrast/sharpness and sunstars when stopped down, but the difference is slight in comparison to what the extra cash could buy.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:58 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Love the sharpness in this one

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:56 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

sozypozy wrote:
Love the sharpness in this one

love the sharpness in which lens?

Jason

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Nikkor 17-35 2.8 AF-S on my Nikon D700

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

I definitely prefer the 24-70 2.8 to the 17-40 (which I gave to my daughter) I bought the 16-35 II to replace the 17-40 but find that I tend to use the 24-70 more.
Niall

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What is your favorite Landscape lens ?

Greg Campbell wrote:
I recommend you save the 'upgrade' money and spend it on a trip to someplace like Yellowstone, Antarctica, Utah, or wherever you want to go...

The Landscape photography genre is, more than most, extremely dependent on the photographer. IMO, 90% of the effort required to produce a good image takes place before the shutter is even pressed. Assuming your camera and lens are functional and not outright junk, you're good to go. Pixel peepers and gear dweebs seldom make compelling images.

++++++1

what's the point of owing gear, if then you can't afford to go anywhere else, or are afraid to take anywhere, for fear of getting some shell blemish in it?
By all means upgrade if you can afford, but put it to use...

17-40 is more than enough for most landscapes - just go out and enjoy being out there - you can go visit quite a few nice places, for a week or so, just using the 16-35 mk2 upgrade money

- seems that the field is mostly divided between UWA and WA
sometimes is the ef15mm or the 17-40 for UWA
TS-e 24 II and Zeiss MP50 (yes, not a WA) in other instances

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 08:14 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password