Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · The wife & I round #2

pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The wife & I round #2

Don't leave me now guys. Just when I'm making some progress.
I'm leaning toward 1/16 power no t-shirt. (that thing is history)
And any ideas on how to solve the eyeglasses reflection problem with this setup?

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The wife & I round #2

I would drop the beauty light altogether. I don't like the additional, small sharp catchlight it creates in the eyes and I don't think you need that fill anyway. A shoot-thru umbrella blasts light everywhere so as I mentioned before, you often don't need much additional fill when working in a closed space. It sort of creates its own automatic fill, only needing some help from a reflector in some cases. Here I think not even that.

Don't be afraid of some shadows. Those are what gives the face some dimension. If you feel that the shadows are accentuating wrinkles and the like, move the umbrella closer to the subjects if you can. The diffuse light of the umbrella will fill those in.

You are shooting pretty low - particularly with those last test shots. Either raise the camera or lower the subjects.

Your lens is right on the edge of being too wide, particularly when you get close. If you can't use a longer lens (say, 50-85mm for your crop sensor), then it just makes it more important to get lined up properly with the face. A wider lens is going to enlarge the portions of the face closest to the lens. Keep that in mind.

As I said before, I think you are close with the last test shot you did without the beauty light. Here is that shot with some color balance and slight re-touching.

A beauty light is normally used as the main, by the way. I wouldn't recommend it in this case though since your home-made beauty light is pretty small, particularly if you are trying to cover two people. It is going to create a harsher light. You're fine with the umbrella IMO.

Regarding the glasses, there is no magic bullet. Angle of incidence = angle of reflection. Unfortunately my recommendation to get the umbrella close to the subjects is probably going to make this harder. If your objective is a portrait of you and your wife, I would recommend having the umbrella slightly on your side of the frame and you orient your head slightly toward your wife while keeping your eyes on the camera. That might be enough but you'll have to experiment. Worst case, you can take a shot with and without glasses and then do a little clone work in post.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The wife & I round #2

Eyeball said "Regarding the glasses, there is no magic bullet. Angle of incidence = angle of reflection...."

With that in mind, move the main light off to the side to solve that problem. I'd move it anyway, even without a glasses reflection problem. You'll get more shadows modeling the face.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:03 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The wife & I round #2

Thanks Eyeball! It's very much appreciated that you took the time to do all this for me. I need all the help I can get.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:13 PM
mattr762
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The wife & I round #2

Pokemanyz,
Cook up a bag of popcorn and watch these videos on traditional lighting setups. These should help you a lot:

AdoramaTV video

Prophotolife video

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:55 PM

pokemanyz
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The wife & I round #2

Thanks mattr762

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:45 PM
novicesnapper

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The wife & I round #2

These look much better! Beauty dish catch lights is a personal thing lol. Some like it and some don't. Now be thinking of where and how the wife will be placed and direction of her face so it doesn't create harsh shadowing on her. Another wild card in the lighting. When you have multiple subjects, it gets a little complicated to light everyone the same and evenly. You're doing great!

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:22 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The wife & I round #2

Jim Rickards this whole started with me trying to use the beauty dish as the main light off to the side with umbrella as fill.
And actually I started in a large living room with my 55-200 hoping to minimize background distractions.
I may switch to my 18-55 for this pic with wife for now. I switched to a stool in my last several pics of which I have a matching one for my wife. Iím 6ft tall and my wife is 5í4Ē with an 8í foot ceailing and a tripod that doesnít go high enough.
While Iím learning, and money is tight, Iíll make do with what I have.

Also thanks novicesnapper!

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:11 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The wife & I round #2

You can make this happen with the space limitations that you have. But even in this last set, the light was too low. Look at the catchlights in your eyes. Your neck is lit up. One of the reasons of having the light higher than you is to create a shadow below your chin that gives your face definition. Get both lights up high, not even really sure what the second light is being used for. You can see the shadows in Eyeball's example that I'm talking about.

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:42 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The wife & I round #2

You guys are cute. Looks like the umb should be up higher.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password